News New Heart Medication May Treat Alcohol Use Disorder

RUC4

Bluelighter
Heart drug shows promise as new alcoholism treatment, NIH says
Judy Packer-Tursman
UPI
20 Sep 2022

Excerpts:
Spironolactone, a widely used diuretic that treats heart problems and high blood pressure, may be an effective therapy for alcohol use disorder, new research suggests.
Only three drugs are approved by the Food and Drug Administration to help people with this chronic disease: acamprosate, disulfiram and naltrexone.
According to the new study, "People taking spironolactone drank less alcohol than those untreated -- and heavier drinkers responded best to spironolactone ... and the higher the dose, the stronger the effect," said Leggio, deputy scientific director and senior investigator at the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

Interesting.. any efforts into a healthy drunk?

It just can't be the case that there isn't one out there?

As its in rats it could just be a cotton mouth or similar dehydration symptom reaction to the medication. Humans that take the medication could just choose not to take it to avoid negative side effects that discourage alcohol intake.

Last edited:
Interesting.. any efforts into a healthy drunk?

It just can't be the case that there isn't one out there?
Do you mean drinking excessively and chronically and not having any negative effects on your health at all?

I was editing my post as you posted in.

I don't think no negative effects at all, but an alcohol like drug that is not so devastating to the body would be quite nice.

I was editing my post as you posted in.

I don't think no negative effects at all, but an alcohol like drug that is not so devastating to the body would be quite nice.
Yeah. I totally agree.

Alcohol really is a hell of a drug. I think a lot of people wish they could drink daily and not have hangovers and stomach issues and everything else that comes with it.

Sadly, it really devastates people who use it in excess.

So diethyl ether is a strong replacement candidate for ethyl alcohol. It produces very similar effects. Its consumption is relatively safe.. aka the likely hood of overdose is small as people get to fucked up to administer further doses a long time before they are even close to critical level. Its been a bit since I looked into this, but I don't think it carries a hang over due to its metabolism. As the warning sheet indicates, it may be eliminated through the kidneys as opposed to the liver.

The addiction issue is that it was used very prevalently in Ireland. Depending on the sources used Ireland has A high rate of alcoholism and drug addiction.
Many sources state that Ireland has a very high proportion of alcoholics. Its certainly a stereotype, but almost every stereotype has roots in reality. This I found a little hard to follow, but will throw it out in the discussion.

A problem with diethyl ether is it may be healthier, but also may be quite addicting, possibly leading to generational alcoholism increases. This may be shown by current alcoholism rates in Ireland; Ireland was a country that embraced diethyl ether with pretty open arms. But its blurry.. is it a cause or just another way to get drunk for a population thats inclined to get hammered?

My take is that its probably more addictive, but less physically harmful.

Last edited:
Ether is way more depraved than ethanol, and you stink for like 24 + hours. My friend got kicked out of an uber hours after finishing an ether binge (and its really moreish, just as nitrous can get).

It's way easier to drink moderately than to do ether (orally or inhalation) moderately. The flammability and the smell on your body put it in the class of drugs I really kind of avoid.

Its metabolized by the liver and eliminated through the kidneys, but most is exhaled.
Metabolism
In humans, approximately 8% of diethyl ether is metabolised by glucuronidation and eliminated via the kidneys. A further 2% is metabolised to carbon dioxide and water. (Price, H.L., General Anesthetics, in The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics, 5th Ed, 1975, McMillan, p89 - 96). Acetaldehyde and ethanol were identified as metabolites in radiolabelled animal studies.
Elimination
Over 90% of diethyl ether is expired via the lungs. 1 - 2% is excreted in urine. Concentrations of diethyl ether in fatty tissue remain high until blood levels have dropped significantly.
Diethyl ether is expected to be relatively rapidly eliminated from the body. No significant bioaccumulation is expected.

Last edited: