• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Needle vs needle: a vaccine for drug addiction?

poledriver

Bluelighter
Needle vs needle: a vaccine for drug addiction?

Research suggests that we could soon see vaccines for addiction. How can we vaccinate against behaviours? And if it is effective, what are the ethical issues?

I was recently a guest at a recording of the Wellcome Trust’s brilliant Level Up Human, a comedy/science podcast about improving humanity, hosted by Simon Watt. One of the first things guests have to do is talk about some interesting science news, focusing on human biology/medicine. To be honest, it was refreshing to read news that wasn’t about the EU referendum for a change.

One of the particularly intriguing things I found was that they’re apparently working on a vaccine for drug addiction (specifically, opiate addiction). Now there’s something to make a neuroscientist sit up and pay attention. A new weapon in the war on drugs? How can you even do that? How do you vaccinate against a type of behaviour? You don’t catch debilitating behaviour from a rusty nail, it doesn’t do the rounds of nursery classes like colds and chickenpox.

However, facetiousness aside, the logic behind this type of vaccine is impressive, and actually quite straightforward. The problem with drug addiction is that it does have a physical basis, where foreign elements introduced into the body disrupt the function of certain organs, in this case the brain. The brain is a very plastic organ which adapts to deal with whatever we throw at it (within reason). So, if you constantly dose it with potent narcotics, it will change to compensate for this. That’s largely why addiction is such a problem; it’s not just a matter of having the willpower to give up a bad habit, the brain itself has changed, to the point where it needs the drug to function normally.

It makes sense. Opiates activate the receptors that govern things like analgesia and pleasure, hence the intense “high” from heroin. But from a neurological perspective, this isn’t sustainable. So the brain adapts by increasing the amount of receptor activity required to trigger the same reaction. And so we get drug tolerance. So more drug is needed to achieve the same effects as before, and the brain adapts to this, and it increases ever upwards.

So imagine, then, that you suddenly stop taking your opiate of choice. You’ve now got a brain that has adapted to a constant level of powerful analgesics, and it suddenly doesn’t have that. What it ends up with, is an incredibly enhanced pain-perception system. And so going cold turkey can be agonising.

This isn’t even counting the other brain changes, such as how connections with the frontal cortex and other cognitive processes actually scramble conscious control and motivation, so people are constantly craving and seeking out the drug, despite copious evidence for the terrible damage it’s wreaking.

At the simplest level, all of this is the end result of a foreign substance entering the body and causing unpleasant consequences. So, what if you could train the immune system to recognise this substance in advance, and quickly neutralise it before it can have any harmful effects? That’s the mechanism by which standard vaccines against diseases work. And the aforementioned research is looking into whether the same approach could work on narcotics.

Cont -

https://www.theguardian.com/science...vs-needle-a-vaccine-for-drug-opiate-addiction

They already have this in the form of things like bupe and naltrexone shots...to make a permanent change to someone's brain so that they won't get affected by opiates is sick and most definitely unethical IMO. I'd rather have the streets flooded with junkies & crack whores than live in a society where people were immunized against the behaviors they found questionable, the thought makes me want to vomit

Also, re: brain plasticity/neurology, show me a brain of some junkie who had a raging 20+ year, despicably hedonistic opiate habit, delivered via IV, and compare it to a "normal brain". Now show me structurally how those two brains are different. A purely mechanistic viewpoint which places primacy on physiological/"pleasure chemicals"/pharmacological explanation of addiction misses all the wonderful environmental factors which play into addictive behavior. Half of these bastards who are prime candidates for opiate vaccination would just latch unto some other activity...hell I'm that way. If I'm not shooting meth I'll smoke heroin! And if I'm not doing that I'll just get perma-stoned all day! And hell, if I don't have any drugs maybe I'll just sit around and jerk off all day! That sounds fun!

Addictive behavior is often wrapped up in a whole host of other behaviors and it's not an easy fix, I guess is what I'm trying to say. What is going to happen to these people when they suffer from a terrible accident or illness and suddenly they need these opiate/opioid drugs?

I am with you on that burnt. Behavior changes come from therapy, not medication. Here is case and point: I went on suboxone which maintains the user in a way that does not cause euphoria but keeps withdrawals at bay. I did not work on the behavior of wanting to be intoxicated which led to a serious IV cocaine habit.

The medication which was touted as an addiction miracle cure, did not cure the addiction, rather it only took care of the physiological symptoms of drug use.

And what if someone requires major pain relief? Sorry your leg has been chopped off but you have been opiate vaccinated. Here is some paracetamol.

^^^ They are targeted heroin and its metabolites and the vaccine is specific to them. Other opioids will still work if needed.

^^^ They are targeted heroin and its metabolites and the vaccine is specific to them. Other opioids will still work if needed.

Heroin metabolites like morphine? You can't easily immunize one without catching the other.

6-MAM and one other was mentioned in one of the links within the article. If you gave oxycodone, these wouldnt be produced.

Bupe is a different story. Nothing works. Too high a binding affinity. It doesn't bounce on the receptors like a full agonist.