• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe NEED URGENT ADVICE

user1994

Greenlighter
First, a little background on the situation: My husband was put on subutex about a year ago (Dec. 2018, I believe) to manage his out-of-control heroin addiction. Through the course of this year, he had administered the medication through IV instead of SL as it is prescribed. He did this because the bupe would obviously hit him faster, and he would receive more of the medication and not have to "do as much". He shoots about a quarter of an 8mg pill at a time, perhaps 4-6 times a day. In the beginning, all was well as we were not aware of nor had we yet experienced the destructiveness that this medication has on the circulatory system.

Over the last few months my husband's veins have begun to disappear, making it increasingly difficult for him to get his shots. As a result, he has begun shooting it in his legs. Though these shots are not administered directly into the bloodstream, the medication still absorbs into his body fast enough and potent enough to keep him from getiing sick. This bring us to our problem. The past couple weeks, an infection has started in his legs. I think I had seen it referred to as a Maltese cross? A red, circular area with a blackish purple center. He needs medical attention to take care of this but is terrified of losing his script. Is it possible that someone, somewhere has experienced this kind of scenario before? I know that there are others who, as some would say, "abuse" their prescriptions. Has anyone ever had to seek medical treatment for complications attributed to their "abuse" but kept that information from their prescribing doctor? Say I take him to a hospital in a different county or something...somewhere no one will recognize him. If you don't mention the fact that you are actually prescribed this medication and instead say you just buy it off the street and don't give the hospital any information that you are being treated for dependency and omit the fact that you see a doctor at all, is there any way for your prescribing doctor to find out? That is what we want to know. He knows that he means of administering his medication needs to change or else, even if he gets treatment for his condition now, it will just recur again in the future. But please, does anyone know a way that we can seek treatment for him without his prescribing doctor finding out that he has been shooting his meds?

And just as a side note, I think (in this situation at least), that the term "abuse" is a little much. He is not "abusing" his medication by shooting it instead of putting it under his tongue. For one, it's f**king nasty! Worse than BC powder IMO. Secondly, it works just the same as if he were to take it SL, just faster and more potent. We had read that you only get about 13% of the medication taking it under the tongue, as opposed to either 99% or 98% when administered through IV. As long as the medication is being taken for it's intended purpose and not exceeding the prescribed dosages (at least not drastically), I don't feel that is abuse. We are also advocates of recreational drug use, as long as it is done responsibly. We believe people have a right to do what they want as long as it doesn't negatively effect others (and hopefully themselves as well). So please, only helpful advice in the responses, yes? We are not looking for criticism, just help. We were ignorant to the long-term effects that this would bring. We don't need others shoving that in our faces. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

If you are that concerned he could lose the prescription simply don't mention that he is taking it or who the prescribing physician is. They will do a tox screen and you'll simply have to come up with a story regarding how he obtained whatever it is that's in his system. Most likely they will only know about the buprenorphine prescriber if you tell them about it (unless this information is already on file).

The most important thing right now would be to seek medical attention.

If you are that concerned he could lose the prescription simply don't mention that he is taking it or who the prescribing physician is. They will do a tox screen and you'll simply have to come up with a story regarding how he obtained whatever it is that's in his system. Most likely they will only know about the buprenorphine prescriber if you tell them about it (unless this information is already on file).

The most important thing right now would be to seek medical attention.

That's what we were wondering; unless we verbally stated such information, there is no, like "database" or something that they could look him up in? I would definitely be bringing him somewhere he hasn't been before. Just say that he is a user off the street who buys off the street, nothing more. I'm just concerned that, especially if we use our insurance to cover the cost of care, that someone might put 2 and 2 together and notify his prescriber. Isn't that protected under HIPAA? That no one can release any information to anyone without the patient's consent?

I also want to point out that we are prepared...well, accepting of the fact, more or less.....for the possibility that he may indeed lose his script. We are just trying to see if we can avoid it. His health and safety is of the highest priority. This issue is in its early stages, so we are making sure we have a game plan before acting on anything. We will be seeking help very soon, just taking a moment to gather as much information as we can before we do.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

Unfortunate! Once I had an abscess lookin thing and went to the ER. I lied and said I had poked my hand with a guitar string while changing strings. After they couldn't decide what was wrong I confessed to IV use. Better to be real on this one than to lose a leg.

Negrogesic is spot on. He's one of the members I was referring to in your introduction post actually. I'm also quite familiar with the topics in you're post myself as well.

I know every state has different regulations regarding prescription databases. I'm not as familiar on that topic so I'll have to defer to others on that. I'll just give you my experience & knowledge. I just have my personal experiences there. I'm not 100% on point ATM. Self inducted on Suboxone within the last week myself having not used it in at least 5 years I'm a bit out of sorts. My apologies.

It's imperative that the infection be treated. To the best of my knowledge as long as the information isn't already on file they wouldn't know about the prescribing physician. For example in my area there are multiple hospitals which are associated with various doctors offices. I know that at certain hospitals they already have my prescribing info as they are partnered with the health system I use.

Just go to a healthcare provider that is not partnered with the health care system that your husband's prescribing physician is a part of. As for the insurance again I'm not positive on that. Generally I've found the healthcare provider didn't know my prescriptions unless they were part of the same network or partnered with said network.

As Negrogesic stated the important thing is to seek medical attention.

Any other information regarding harm reduction (micron filters, etc.) to reduce the likelihood of this happening again in the future are things you can worry about in the future. The long term effects you spoke of.

Seeking medical attention is the important thing. I'm glad you've realized that's the only course of action. I wish you the best of luck.

Negrogesic is spot on. He's one of the members I was referring to in your introduction post actually. I'm also quite familiar with the topics in you're post myself as well.

I know every state has different regulations regarding prescription databases. I'm not as familiar on that topic so I'll have to defer to others on that. I'll just give you my experience & knowledge. I just have my personal experiences there. I'm not 100% on point ATM. Self inducted on Suboxone within the last week myself having not used it in at least 5 years I'm a bit out of sorts. My apologies.

It's imperative that the infection be treated. To the best of my knowledge as long as the information isn't already on file they wouldn't know about the prescribing physician. For example in my area there are multiple hospitals which are associated with various doctors offices. I know that at certain hospitals they already have my prescribing info as they are partnered with the health system I use.

Just go to a healthcare provider that is not partnered with the health care system that your husband's prescribing physician is a part of. As for the insurance again I'm not positive on that. Generally I've found the healthcare provider didn't know my prescriptions unless they were part of the same network or partnered with said network.

As Negrogesic stated the important thing is to seek medical attention.

Any other information regarding harm reduction (micron filters, etc.) to reduce the likelihood of this happening again in the future are things you can worry about in the future. The long term effects you spoke of.

Seeking medical attention is the important thing. I'm glad you've realized that's the only course of action. I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you so much, and I will definitely take all the information you shared with me into consideration when choosing where to take him. Because yes, this is the only course of action.

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to help. It means the world to me. Truly.

That's what we were wondering; unless we verbally stated such information, there is no, like "database" or something that they could look him up in? I would definitely be bringing him somewhere he hasn't been before. Just say that he is a user off the street who buys off the street, nothing more. I'm just concerned that, especially if we use our insurance to cover the cost of care, that someone might put 2 and 2 together and notify his prescriber. Isn't that protected under HIPAA? That no one can release any information to anyone without the patient's consent?

I also want to point out that we are prepared...well, accepting of the fact, more or less.....for the possibility that he may indeed lose his script. We are just trying to see if we can avoid it. His health and safety is of the highest priority. This issue is in its early stages, so we are making sure we have a game plan before acting on anything. We will be seeking help very soon, just taking a moment to gather as much information as we can before we do.

Thank you for taking the time to reply :)

I'm new here so I apologize if I'm breaking any rules but in the People's Republic of New Jersey there is a database for benzos so you can bet they track opiates. You may still be in luck with Suboxone as opposed to Oxy's. Hope this is of some help. Good Luck!

I don't think I would describe your husband shooting subs as "all was well." I'm sorry to say but if he is trying to maintain and not abuse he doesn't need the drug to hit faster. Shooting anything that's not meant to IV'd 4-6 times a day is arguably just as dangerous of an addiction as opiates. I apologize in advance if I came off as judgmental.

I hope your husband is doing better now, I wish you both well.

Shooting his meds is definitely abusing them, pretty cut and dry, and it's a fairly typical drug abuser trait to try so hard to justify it when you and he both must know that it's obviously abusing them. I'm not judging at all, but call it what it is. Couldn't tell you anything about regulations or databases, I'm not even sure about that stuff here in Australia lol. I found if I needed my subs to kick in faster I'd just dissolve them in water then plug it. That also helped if I needed to stretch a script a bit further, since I could plug a half dose for the same effect as a full one SL - Maybe he can try that as a safer, more sustainable way to get what he's after if he really must keep abusing them. Hope his leg is healed/healing nicely by now.