• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Need some help regarding a relapse

Bonehead1

Greenlighter
Hi, so I was using oxycodone 30mg, 3 to 4 a day, for about 6 months straight. I detoxed off them, went through the withdrawals and made it 13 days! It was a rough 7 days but was feeling good, had a beer and turned and noticed someone doing one at a buddy's house. And I broke. I know I should create a support system, watch who I hang around, talk to. And believe me I will after that, it's like I was a robot. Anyways I have many challenges I need to face to achieve success. But my first challenge is, and what I'm worried about at this moment is, will this one relapse restart any withdraws?

Nope, using once or one day won't send you back into withdrawal. You may feel a little depressed for a few days as a result, but it won't be like the first week when you detoxes.

How are you thinking of acquiring more support IRL?

TPD is exactly right--that slip won't amount to any tangible setback (assuming it remains limited to what you described). And the point about acquiring support is crucial.

One other thing I'd mention: lapses suck, but they can also be great learning experiences. The event you described (suddenly finding yourself in close proximity/access to your DOC) is so common, and it or something like it is very likely to happen again. So I recommend thinking through the episode a bit. How could you handle it differently? Are there some steps you could take to stack the cards in your favor for the next time you're in a dicey situation? Learning how to anticipate the challenges you'll have so you can react to them best on strategy and planning is a huge part of building a successful recovery.

I might be the worst person to answer to these relapse questions as I just switched from Suboxone maintenance back to oxycodone+naloxene product (which if freaking expensive even in USA scale as I happen to live in Finland where government covers (most) the drugs) and my DOC was oxycodone and I had month of sober period after tapering from 250+mg a day Oxycontin abused along with buprenorfine aided withdrawal program for a week.

So I couldn't get along without some opiates and was on opiate maintenance (buprenorphine+naloxene) over a year until my back said thats enough I can't handle myself without a single vertebra changed into titanium one and tightened to the nearest vertebrae with screws.

So I couldn't handle those relapses and I needed maintenance but thtat is not for everyone.

Indeed, it is a very personal decision. The proper medication and treatment is so important though. ORT is more accessible for those who need it these days in the US than it has been basically since the drug war started, but that isn't exactly saying much.

I cannot imagine how frustrating it must be for many people who experience challenges with chronic pain and who also have a problematic history of drug use. At least where I live, the options are drastically reduced for almost entirely arbitrary reasons.

Glad to hear you are getting the treatment you need MR :)