• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Need help quitting

Jvjs05

Bluelighter
Hello , I have been about a 3 year slave to oxycodone , with about the last 6 months being the worst of it . For the last 6 months I have been averaging about 300mg per day snorted.
I plan on telling my doctor everything in about 2 weeks, what is the best med for helping someone in my situation quit oxycodone ? Suboxone? Subutex ?
I have been able to taper down in the past to about 60mg per day , but just find that i cannot get much lower then that as my anxiety starts to go through the roof and I start having panic attacks , which is the main reason I like oxycodone as it takes away all my anxiety, and is the only thing I have found to actually do that, which is what i will miss the most.
Anyways back to the main question , what is the best RXed med to help someone get off oxycodone ? I NEED OUT as it is destroying me financially. Thank you in advance for any replies / help / similar experiences anyone can share.

If you don't want to go through difficult withdrawals then some maintenance drugs depending on your location would sound good for me.

While you are on maintenance no matter what the substance is you have time to find out reasons to quit and stay sober as well as find your inner strength and alternatives to get a good feeling to combat drug cravings and to prevent relapse.

Group support won't hurt too and then there is that question with anxiety and you have to find out new ways to deal with it be it therapy or prescribed drugs.

I hope you'll find ways to deal with your addiction.

Subboxone 5 day taper. 8mg, 6mg,6mg,4mg,2mg, done. Thats what i learned at rehab will never forget that in case i become physically addicted again lol. Easiest taper ever and i was doing more than you by a long shot, so you will be alright hang in there

Thanks for the replies, I live in Illinois right outside of Chicago, can suboxone be RXed to me in this area ?

5 day sub taper is perfect,clonodine maybe to lower blood pressure and calm nerves for a week or 2..a few days of kratom after sub taper if jumping sub is too much and u are thinking of relapsing.

i woul do low with starting sub dose..u are taking 60mg of oxy in my personal experience that would be about 2 mg of sub to hold u..so 2mg 1mg 1mg .5mg .5 mg then Jump.dont look for a high just rellief which is hard to differentiate because u get euphoria from relief of withdrawals

ThAt will take care of the physical dependence but u need to replace your habit with heAlthyy ones u enjoy and light high rep weight lifting helps alot...u gotta get back to your brain producing endorphins naturally and healthy

Last edited:
Well I'm not on 60mgs now , I just said I have gotten down to 60 but that was the lowest I could get , I'm at 150-200 per day right now

Im on either my last or next to last day of a quick taper of nearly identical doses (Im guessing, I dont add it up anymore) using both Suboxone and Subutex, just because thats what I could get. Either is fine. Today, I took only 1/2mg and feel great. Been using few other things to get me through but those will stop too.

Let me tell you, this is a breeze. I cold turkeyed a larger habit several years ago, and like everyone, was out of commission for a few or two. So in short, get any product with buprenorphine and do a quick taper. Things like benzos, clonidine, and Lyrica help, but the bupe is the key.

Congratulations jv on your desire to get clean. Opiate addiction is pure evil, it took over every aspect of my life. I'm currently detoxing using suboxone. I've tried numerous times to CT it and have been unsuccessful. My withdrawals usually last 11-14 days, so I'm doing a 2 week sub taper. I'm on day 8 and so far it's been relatively easy. I waited over 50 hours to induct though, because I was afraid of precipitated withdrawals. I used the COWS scale. That was the hardest part so far, waiting. Here is my taper so far. I only dose once a day.

4/26 2 mg
4/27 1 mg (had some withdrawals)
4/28 1.5 mg
4/29 1.5 mg
4/30 1.25 mg
5/1 1mg mg
5/2 0.75 mg
5/3 0.75 mg

Just make sure to wait until you are in pretty severe withdrawal - use the COWS chart (you can google it) otherwise, you could go into precipitated withdrawal and from what I hear, it's the worst withdrawal ever. Good luck!

Yes i would agree with MrRoot, with a maintenance program being your best bet. I started getting kinda bad on opiates for about 6 months. Yes i know this is not a very long time, but it doesnt take long until opiates can physically and mentally kinda control your life. I told myself no way i would let that happen but it happened and happened fast. I would say number one would be you finding a reasons to quit. Nothing helped and drives me more than thinking i cant mess up again and put my friends and girlfriend through this again. Suboxone is great for getting off opiates. The doctor will probably try and prescribe you way to many mgs which i wouldnt take. It would be easier to do what everyone is saying. 2mg worked fine for me. No way did i need 32mg a day. Good luck to you

Thanks everyone for the replies , and like I said oxycodone has financially set me back years compared to where I could be right now , and my fiancé has a really hard time when I run out and she has to see what I go thru with no way to really help me , my appointment is may 20th but I'm going to call and see if I can make it sooner as I really want to get this going. So when using suboxone it's true that you have to first be clean for a few days and already be going thru w/d correct ? Like I can't go from using one day to suboxone the very next day right ? How long do you normally have to wait to use suboxone after your last dose of an opiate ?

Yes , I know what you mean I used to get all worried and make sure to keep track of how many mgs I would take these days I'm just guessing it's around 200per day , I'm excited to actually get some help this time as every other time I've tried to quit I've just gone CT and it was like no other pain I can describe. I know it's not a miracle pill that will fix me right up but I'm hoping it will make it at least a little
Bit less painful.

Yes you have to be on withdrawals when switching to bupe because otherwise you'll end up having even worse withdrawals if there is still that other opiate and possible active metabolites of it in your system. I remember reading from somewhere that atleast four half lives of the opiate used before is required.

Bupe will rip off those other opiate from the opiate receptors at once and your receptors get some weird pinball treatment after that which isn't nice to experience.

I was against maintenance treatments until my cold turkey and fast taper attempts never maintained to keep me sober for more than few months or a year max. Now I am tapering slowly out of oxy and have an option to switch to buprenorphin if I end up using recreationally during the taper.

Getting other than drug related aspects of life together as well as finding reasons to be sober during maintenance or slow taper seems to be the most beneficial for staying sober.

I feel like my brain will have to re learn how to do everything sober like simple tasks, the first thing I think about doing when I wake up at 530am is oxy and it's the last thing I think about b4 going to sleep I feel like hazy all day , I'm excited but also nervous to give this a true effort to quit and get my life back

Awesome jvjs05, yeah i remember those days waking up early cause i was so excited to take my dose. If i didnt do that i would feel like complete ass all day. Really sucks when you think about it. You have to spend money to just feel normal during the day. Financially it killed me and would make me feel bad when my girlfriend or pets would have to go without something because i had a problem and was being selfish. Never feels good to let your loved ones down. All good motivation to make a life changing decision. Mentally took longer to feel somewhat normal again, but being clean another day was good enough for me to mentally feel good about myself. Once again good luck man. You can do this, just gotta tough it out and hurt for a little but in the end.

Ohhhh yeah i forgot once i started taking suboxone right when i woke up i personally would put it under my tongue and lay down for a few minutes to let it dissolve and kick in a little bit. For me it gives me a little energy boost and mentally feel better id say 80% of the time. Once you find the right mgs for you it will be just fine.

Last edited:
There have been a number of recent posts about rapid suboxone tapers. The trick is to start high, to prevent preicipated withdrawal, then almost immediately cut the dose in half and continue to do so on a daily basis, then taking the smaller dose (say 0.5-2mg) every other day, then dosing very carefully the last few hundreds of micrograms, which I'd recommend using an oral syringe or eyedropper for ... these will be the hardest, physically, to go through. Psychologically it's a whole differejt ballgame and you'll need some inner strength and support. Seek that out