• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Natural Pain Relief

WI_Black2000

Greenlighter
I was in a car accident about 5 weeks ago & have been diagnosed with cervical kyphosis, which is when the curvature of the neck curves the opposite way due to trauma. Of course, this is extremely painful, & my doctor has given me naproxen, but it hasn't worked much at all. I found this website when searching the net for herbs that relieve pain. My doctor refuses to prescribe me stronger pain medication, & I'm so sick of being in pain like this every single day. I can't take illegal substances since my work requires drug testing, so I'm turning to all of you for suggestions on any pain-relieving herbs. Please help!!

Welcome to the site,

I'm sorry to hear that you were in such a nasty accident and if I was you I would insist on medication or see another doctor - refusing pain meds after a car crash is ridiculous (can you maybe see a private doctor).

I have moved your post over to our Healthy Living section as this section covers pain management so you should get some replies.

Good Luck

How about kratom? I have endometriosis and sometimes I'm in severe pain and it definitely takes the edge off. There are also enhanced kratom extracts, which I never recommend without a disclaimer because they're extremely addictive and some are said to be laced with another RC opiate (which I personally do believe) but they're about as strong as oxycodone but maybe even better as an analgesic and they do work for breakthrough pain. They only last for about an hour though and whatever you do, don't redose, because that's how addiction (and I mean physical) starts FAST. From everything I've read, they're similar to instant release fentanyl in terms of potential for physical addiction. Regular kratom is not that addictive in my experience and withdrawal isn't that bad, the downside is that it tastes gross and it really upsets my stomach with regular use. However, I think it's due to acid and a strong antacid might help should that happen (I used tums which were effective for as long as they lasted). You also could look into poppy seed tea, just be aware that it's just morphine+codeine+other alkaloids and is dangerous because you can never determine the concentration of alkaloids and they will vary from batch to batch. Also, because it's very long acting, the withdrawal can last a month or more.

Sorry to hear you've been hurt in an accident. Is there a chance your dr would refer you onto a Pain management dr if he can't prescribe more than an anti inflammatory?

If your work involves drug testing are you able to take stronger pills if prescibed? (Eg: not illegal).

Rtp

I second kratom. I had surgery on both feet two months ago - they cut some tendons, removed a few bones, and inserted a couple of pins. I didn't want super strong opiates and went with Tramadol, which didn't do much. I switched over to kratom of day two and that got me through the pain. Kratom is mildly addictive but easy to stop.

MD also suggested poppy seed tea and RC opiates, both of which are valid suggestions, though I would be extremely cautious with RC opiates as most seem to be significantly stronger than many pharmaceuticals and much more addictive. If you're opiate naïve I would do copious research regarding dosage and roa. Poppy seed tea I think is a much better idea though it can be addictive, but it's safer than RC's imo and fairly easy to purchase. If you consume enough poppy seed tea it will be detected on drug screenings as its from the poppy plant just like morphine derivatives.

You may want to inquire about a topical containing neurontin- I don't remember the name of it but some people swear by it. It requires a prescription, maybe your doctor would be open to giving you a script for it. Is your doctor open to scripting you muscle relaxers as those may help as well. Can you go to a different doctor? That's terrible you can't get proper pain meds. I hope you feel better soon!