• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Napping

I feel that naps are crucial for people in early recovery. Many people in general could benefit from them actually but for people in recovery I think they should be seen as incredibly therapeutic. Let's talk about them. Share your experiences with them or interesting facts. I know there are tons of proven benefits but I don't need to share them all right away in this post. Look them up! Don't just take my word for it. Investigate it yourself if you want or try it out but I am saying naps are medicine for us in recovery.

Right now I am going to take a nap. I will let you know what it does. I did have slight cravings for kratom or alcohol today but I know that isn't a good idea. Let's see what this nap does to change my thoughts here. Report back after it. I mean I'd rather drop a tab of....oops wrong place man.

Feel free to start talking about naps in the meantime.

I would normally nap daily anyways
Lol. I just got up from mine and I am thinking this feels like something I would do regardless of sobriety.

Funny when I work a certain schedule full-time I recall not napping and I survived. How?!

Baffling that I can not nap when working. Is that healthy? Is that why I haven't held a job recently? Keep relapsing?

I almost worry now working a schedule that won't allow time for napping but it might happen. No way I could do that and maintain active destructive addictions. Never worked before.

So the results in terms of changing my thoughts and having minor cravings. The nap virtually reset my thoughts and restored my brain to a stable energy level is a good way to describe it. I feel ready to approach the rest of the evening in a skillful manner. I probably could have made it through without napping too I will have you know.

I don't like the thought of working full-time again and not being able to nap. Fuck that shit man. It might fuckin' happen though pardon the F bombs.

I realize I have quit part-time jobs due to relapsing so it's not because of not napping that I haven't kept a job here.

I have had the same thought,

Once I get a job it’s going to have to allow me to be fatigued ?

I quit my job nearly two years ago - I have a predicament that I’m able to sleep when I want!

I love napping but over time started finding it really hard to do...I would wake up with heaps of anxiety, like having that morning panic twice a day so I gave them up. But i still am a sucker for a quick 15 minute powernap if the urge overwhelms me...

Yo Professr ❤ I wanna read some stuff about the good side of napping- can you link to anything in particular?

As a rule I try to avoid napping since I enjoy being able to fall asleep immediately at night and find that napping can interfere with that. Also I have this really weird experience if I nap in the evening - if I take a nap and wake up and it's dark, I get this bizarre depressed feeling when I wake up, like a real deep sadness that I can't explain. I shake it off after half an hour or so, but it's disconcerting and unpleasant. I've had this phenomenon ever since I was a teenager, even before my drug addiction when my life was going great and I didn't have any depression in my day to day life. It doesn't happen if I nap in the day or even if I take a nap and wake up just before sunset, but if I nap and wake up when it's dark out I wake up with a really dark feeling. However, taking an afternoon nap when I'm sleep deprived can turn my whole day around for the better and patch up my energy levels and make me feel better, but I prefer to just get my 8 hours at night.