• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

My terrible experience slipping into addiction in Colombia

Losingmymind

Greenlighter
Hi all, I’ve posted on here as washingtonbound before but for some reason got locked out of my account. I‘ve had a lot of issues with drugs in the past, particularly psychosis, but recently I experienced a slice of hell of the beginning of addiction. Here’s what happened.

All over Colombia you can buy hydrocodone over the counter in pharmacies. I was aware of this the first few times I ventured to Medellin but initially had enough self control to hold off on buying any because I knew it wouldn’t end well. But this last time, for whatever reason, I decided it would be a good idea just to “try it out once.” So I went into one of the drugstores at the bus station and bought a pack of 5mg hydrocodone to start off. Having no tolerance, I was able to get a decent buzz off 15mg. I noticed the pills gave me quite a lot of energy and somehow made me better at speaking spanish. At the same time, I was itching like crazy and ended up throwing up on the bus. But this did not deter me from finishing the pack of pills over the next few days.

After running out I figured I wouldn’t buy any again. But the next thing you know I‘m walking by another damn pharmacy again and thinking: “no I’ll just buy one more pack.” I ended up getting another pack of 30 5mg pills and went through it rather quickly. Then I found out you could buy it in 10mg instead of 5 (that was the highest), and ended up buying a 30 pack of that. Tolerance was building so quickly, I needed 30mg to get the same buzz I initially got at 15mg. When going through my new pack, I began taking 50mg at a time, which would always get me sick, and yet I’d do it again anyway. I then pushed the envelope even further and took 30mg or so with some codeine, and started getting these really scary shakes and would hear this weird popping noise in my head. This scared me enough that I decided I really needed to stop.

I tried stopping twice and ended up relapsing again because the psychological withdrawal was terrible. After going through another pack of 30 10mg pills in four days, I realized I had a real problem on my hands. All this had transpired over the course of just over two weeks or so, which was shocking to say the least. I made the decision that I absolutely needed to stop and ended up leaving Colombia. Although I didn’t abuse the pills for that long, ugly psychological withdrawal symptoms surfaced that I’m still dealing with about a week later. It feels like the opposite of the false euphoria/peace of mind you attain on opiates. So my advice is, please tread with caution when traveling to countries like that for easier drug access, because it can come back to bite you in a very bad way.

Soon, it will start to become a controlled substance. Or taken off shelf.
i don't understand how this is not controlled. My theory is that people can't afford to maintain a drug addiction as a box of hydrocodone can be very expensive.

thanks for sharing, good reminder of how quickly things can spiral with opiates.

i'm amazed it's still possible to get opiates otc anywhere, would be less of a problem to just sell cocaine

Soon, it will start to become a controlled substance. Or taken off shelf.
i don't understand how this is not controlled. My theory is that people can't afford to maintain a drug addiction as a box of hydrocodone can be very expensive.
In Colombia they are not nearly as strict about drugs as the US and I noticed opiates weren’t nearly as popular over there. The 30 pill packs ranged from $40-60 which is cheap by US standards but not as much for Colombians. I spent about $300 or so total which I wish I didn’t. I agree it should be controlled everywhere.

thanks for sharing, good reminder of how quickly things can spiral with opiates.

i'm amazed it's still possible to get opiates otc anywhere, would be less of a problem to just sell cocaine
I almost overdosed on cocaine my first time in Colombia being a dumb gringo who didn’t realize how strong it was. I’m not sure why opiates are so easily available there, I think part of it is because they don’t have nearly the issues we have here in the US with abuse and overdose deaths.