Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

My SSRI and MDMA

tigershark60

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

So i see that it is known that SSRIs block an MDMA roll. Well i am prescribed 10 mg lexapro daily. I started this med in January and have been on it since. Recently I have done MDMA almost expecting not to roll but after only roughly 100mg I was definitely feeling it. I did not have nearly as hightened sensations but I had euphoria, an insane amount of energy, and felt as if everyone was my friend and just wanted to dance. So some part of the experience was lacking but I feel as if I was able to still get the majority of a roll and only missing a little bit of the full effect. Has this been heard of before? Is it cause i am on such a low dose of lexapro? Any info is gratefully appreciated!!!

Thanks

10mg Lexapro is not a nothing dose. I'd venture that the effects you are getting either a, won't last much longer as you continue to take Lexapro and b, are largely pyscho semantic. Take enough MD and you'll get a speedy effect on SSRI's but it's so not worth it.

SSRI's and MDMA are mutely exclusive.

MDMA has an effect on serotonin levels but also on dopamine and norepinephrine. MDMA's euphoria is related to dopamine so an SSRI will not block those effects, hence you still feel euphoria. Stimulation is related partly to norepinephrine and so those effects will also still be felt. I would dare to say you didn't have much empathogenic effects from the MDMA?

It's not like you will feel nothing at all when on an SSRI, just the serotonergic effects will be muted or completely blocked, depending on dosage of both the SSRI and the MDMA. Though in the case of an SSRI it shouldn't be inherently dangerous I think it's never advised to combine MDMA with medication that has an influence on monoamine neurotransmitter levels or function

Last edited:
I experienced the same thing with 20mg of Celexa. I was able to roll just fine. If anything I tripped harder and had more energy but the empathogenic effects weren't as muted as I expected.

It's interesting that people on Celexa and Lexapro are the most common reports of MDMA still working because they're highly selective in comparison to Paxil, for example, which completely nullifies a roll.

Either way, I wouldn't do it too often. It felt much harsher on me than without the Celexa. I was drained for about a week both times while it's usually only 24-48 hours with no meds.

My friend is on Cipralex (also escitalopram), and she is completely unable to roll. Doesn't get large pupils or anything, not even on a big dose.

I know four people (one being me) who have switched from SSRI type medications to tianeptine, the only SSRE (enhances reuptake). Not only is this a better antidepressant with fewer side effects, it will not block your roll (bonus). It also has allowed all of us to get off SSRIs, which is very hard to do, probably due to long-term receptor downregulation.

Cos

I know four people (one being me) who have switched from SSRI type medications to tianeptine, the only SSRE (enhances reuptake). Not only is this a better antidepressant with fewer side effects, it will not block your roll (bonus). It also has allowed all of us to get off SSRIs, which is very hard to do, probably due to long-term receptor downregulation.

Cos

How long before you could roll again after you switched?