• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My Opioid Problem

Thanks VE, that is very kind of you. I am struggling a lot - no longer with cravings or withdrawal symptoms at all, no more thinking about the high. No more opioid-related slip-ups, but slip-ups with other drugs. I did enough xanax for a period of time, that it started to make me feel really stupid, and intelligence is one of the few things I have left. I just want to escape the reality of my life. I woke up to a lot of problems that had been buried deep, and I'm not doing well with that. I was thinking a little cannabis might help keep me sane but I can't really afford it right now (yeah...)

I think your getting in front of yourself. Getting off a serious opiate habit is a marathon not a sprint. Your cognitive abailities will return with time I promise. If you have to take a little more Xanax right now that's ok. I think I read in your other post that your dependent anyways aren't you? If so then a little extra every now and then isn't a big deal. Same with pot. Your one goal right now is to stay off opiates everything you do should be in support of reaching that goal even if it compromises other areas of your life. This is a life and death battle your in my friend. treat it as such.

Your probably into the PAWs stage now. Expect depression, helplessness, restlessness, and a severe lack of motivation. Plus a couple others that are different for everyone. So keep your head up and realize your making progress.

Well that happened fast. I took around 200mg yesterday and today and I am already sniffing heroin again. I am no longer interested in quitting, as my physical and emotional problems are too much to bear as a sober individual. I don't have any direction in life, and as a lost soul, I like to be able to identify with something - anything - even if it's being a drug addict. I will die young of an overdose, and I am okay with that as I am already suicidal and considering jumping off a nice isolated, very tall cliff that I know of. And cutting myself with scissors again. It's over. I don't even want to quit... I just get so fucking dope sick that I can't get off my ass and get the dope. Well, I've got my strength and vitality back and it's time to hit the shit hard. The first thing I really need to do is make very certain I am taking 2mg klonopin daily and no other extras or gaba-type drugs that I have been using as comfort meds, as they make me retarded and I'm just going to end up with worsened addictions to those trying to quit something that I don't even want to stop. I am not upset with myself at all over this choice. I am just upset that I was born in the first place, I didn't ask for this bullshit of a worthless, wasted life. I was born into a creation of hell that I never wanted. I hate being a human being, and I don't really like my fellow human beings either. I think that greed will destroy us all, so I will be abusing myself to death. Ever since I wrecked my spine, I haven't had a life and I've been abandoned by my fellow man. I'm not worth a damn to this productivity-focussed society, as I have too much chronic pain holding me back. We'll see about that.

Last edited:
Well that happened fast. I took around 200mg yesterday and today and I am already sniffing heroin again. I am no longer interested in quitting, as my physical and emotional problems are too much to bear as a sober individual. I don't have any direction in life, and as a lost soul, I like to be able to identify with something - anything - even if it's being a drug addict. I will die young of an overdose, and I am okay with that as I am already suicidal and considering jumping off a nice isolated, very tall cliff that I know of. And cutting myself with scissors again. It's over. I don't even want to quit... I just get so fucking dope sick that I can't get off my ass and get the dope. Well, I've got my strength and vitality back and it's time to hit the shit hard. The first thing I really need to do is make very certain I am taking 2mg klonopin daily and no other extras or gaba-type drugs that I have been using as comfort meds, as they make me retarded and I'm just going to end up with worsened addictions to those trying to quit something that I don't even want to stop. I am not upset with myself at all over this choice. I am just upset that I was born in the first place, I didn't ask for this bullshit of a worthless, wasted life. I was born into a creation of hell that I never wanted. I hate being a human being, and I don't really like my fellow human beings either. I think that greed will destroy us all, so I will be abusing myself to death. Ever since I wrecked my spine, I haven't had a life and I've been abandoned by my fellow man. I'm not worth a damn to this productivity-focussed society, as I have too much chronic pain holding me back. We'll see about that.

I have said all those things before but still ended up right back where I am from. Don't let a bad day define your whole life man. Go get high as fuck and then come back and reread your posts in this thread and your youtube videos before you make any unalterable decisions. Besides there is no reason to kill yourself as long as you have heroin.

You're right that our society is obsessed with productivity, and that IS alienating as fuck. But, man, alienation and sadness and loneliness are real. So are love and curiosity, and excitement. Experiencing these things is what we do as humans. It's often awful, but sometimes it's great.

I hope you won't consider your recovery over, even if you go back out for a while. Just be safe and come back when you can. We'll be here when you're ready. And always feel free to hit me up with a PM.

But please please please, take suicide off the table!

I don't plan on killing myself. I'm being really careful. If I was serious about suicide, I wouldn't tell a soul. I was honestly more worried about it before I got back on the dope... I wasn't dealing with it right. You're not supposed to drop that much xanax every day and other meds to get off it. Taking raw alprazolam not even weighed when you have a milligram scale is pretty self destructive, and when it was weighed it was 10 to 20mg which is just fucked. I was waiting for a disaster to happen, and I need those meds for my panic attacks. I can't ruin my tolerance to them. There was too much stress. I was still abusing and escaping life because I can't handle sobriety at all. I hate myself.

I feel happy now. And pain free. That's it. Getting into a psychologist as I really need my mental health treated. Being very cautious with dose. I know it won't last, but it will last for some time. I'm not prepared to stop right now. I don't want to. I want to get my shit together in other respects.

cj, thanks for the tip. I am serious when I say that I will re-read everything from this thread, and watch the videos I made. I promise you that much, and thanks for your concern. I don't want to die. I just want to live a happy, pain free life. I want my own place, a job in my field, a post-hardcore band, and a girlfriend... that's it. I'm not giving up on life. I'm going to be fighting in other ways before it's too late.

Thanks for the concern and advice you two, I really appreciate it. Really means a lot to me that another human being would give any damn at all about me. I just wasn't recovering because I went back to being severely mentally ill i the ways that I used to be before I started using. I think getting into a psychologist, and being honest, might help a lot. I desperately need therapy, that's my feeling at least.

I think therapy is a good start. Take care of yourself bro.

Yo bro I took your advice. Thank you so much the both of you. I came to my senses. I can't do this to myself man. I can't. I've already had therapy in the works for a long while, I'm just waiting for my appointment. I will be honest about everything, at least I hope I will. I came so far. It has been months of quitting this shit. Dude... I got high as fuck and I thought about how I was throwing all my progress away for a hit. I just broke out in tears and I'm getting right back on track. If anything, I am going to quit even faster, but I am going to take it easy this week. It's going to be a rough one, but that's okay. It's not worth it.

I saw a spirit tonight. It was a sign. I'm not sure why, but I was resting in bed and I opened my eyes and there was a tall, thin, clothed, dark-haired woman dressed in red and black staring right at me. When she noticed my eyes were ever so slightly open and I could see her, she quickly turned around and vanished into thin air. Like she was afraid to be seen by me. It was really creepy, and I had a dream that my place had been ransacked by someone who found all my pills and psychs and everything was exposed, I was worried who had found out about my habit in my dream. I could be going crazy. I am probably a prime candidate for schizophrenia at this point, although there is no family history of anything apart from panic attacks. But I took it as a sign; someway; somehow. It blew my mind regarding the mysteries of life, and somehow I found the strength very quickly after having this vision. I don't know how the hell that could be considered a wakeup call, but it was. It's not too late. It has been 2 days, I'm sure I will suffer but not like before. I will continue to fall and pick myself back up again. She looked exactly like my friend Laura, who talks to me the most about my problems. She is always saying that she is with me in spirit, and today was the first day since I started to quit that we didn't talk. It was just weird man... normally when I see spirits they are transparent and ethereal (when I was a kid mainly) but this entity did NOT like to be seen.

I am getting right back on track before it's too late. And I'm watching my benzo use too. It has been completely out of control the past week or two. I'm just glad I somehow found the strength, even if it's from finding meaning in some swisscheese-brain-fried perceptual experience. I had been drinking several cups of chamomile, and taking immense quantities of Valerian. It's really not worth it at all at this point to continue using, and I am going to carry on like this shit didn't happen. However, I will probably slip up a bit more first, just NOT with dope. Until a few days from now when I have my comfort meds under control. It was just a really weird experience and I don't mean to look for too much meaning in it, but I found the resolve to quit and made the decision within 5 minutes of this vision of her.

It's going to be tough to get back on track but at least there is no more dope. Just hope. I took some extra percs this morning, and it's going to take me a few days. I need to come up with a better taper schedule than dosing every 12 hours. It is going to be more frequent, lower doses. I'll write back once I'm on a good and solid schedule again - it is still in my mind to beat this. I can't have my life end up this way, pain or no pain, loneliness or no loneliness. No matter what, it's not worth it being a drug addict.

I fucking need psychedelics NOW. I am going to dose ibogaine again soon - but first, I want a traditional psychedelic trip. I am going to clean out my dabbing rig to make sure there is no THC (would give me panic attacks at this point), and I am going to dab some DMT off my slightly cooled from red hot domeless nail with my scoop dabber load up with dmt. I've never had a bad experience before with DMT (uncomfortable sure, but not negative), even in tough times. I may as well, since I am slipping up with oxy anyway. I'm not touching my oxy habit until I get my benzo use and muscle relaxer abuse under control. Comfort meds were supposed to be for acute wd's only but I was using more and more during PAWS. Next time, I will be sticking exclusively to my 2mg klonopin daily. That is what is most important to me right now, and I've been really anxious keeping it to 1mg every 12 hours, even with oxy right now. Just know that I completely turned my state of mind around. I'm still fighting, even if I am losing some progress. I'll never give up! And no more dope... don't know what the fuck I was thinking. That stuff could have killed me with this low a tolerance. I'm a fool, after fool's gold. No more. Thanks to everyone who talked to me because I don't think I would have made the decision without that advice, and this thread in general and the other tapering one I posted in. My videos I made helped a lot too (and my list of reasons).

Last edited:
I think you should lay off the psychedelics man. Your all over the place man. Have you ever been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder? My best advice is to get to a phych doctor and be 100 percent honest about everything except your abuse of prescribed meds. I would hate for some jackass to rip you off your prescribed benzos as many phych doctors don't understand what the word taper means.

The ibogaine your playing with is fire man its not LSD. If you start overdoing it and disrespect the chemical its going to disrespect you right back. Most people with real experience dosing themselves and others say once every 3-4 months max with maybe maybe a tiny top up dose a month after a major experience. Please don't get wreckless with this chem it doesn't have the safety profile of shrooms or LSD. Also your not using a shaman for guidance and that is a big no no to many people who use this stuff for healing. Also with all the other chemicals your own your throwing multiple variables into the equation. Not trying to shit on you man just please take it slow and get some truly qualified help. You may be completely fine mentally just suffering from anxiety and PAWS but its best to let a pro make that determination.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk.

I'm so glad you decided not to go on a heavy run. You've done a lot of work, though I know it doesn't always feel that way. You really are kicking ass.

I do have one question for you, and I've spent a while trying to think of how to phrase it so it doesn't sound stupid. I'll try my best.... Besides abstaining from narcotics, do you have a "deeper", for lack of a better word, "spiritual" component to the work you're doing in recovery? By "spiritual" I don't mean to imply that you should find religion. All I'm getting at is that IMO, viable, long-term recovery needs to address the demons that drive us to use. We need to find ways to quiet the ghosts, or at least live with them, without inflicting harm on ourselves in the process. For some people, this kind of work gets addressed in working NA/AA-type steps. For those of us (like me), who don't feel a connection with 12-step fellowships, we have to improvise a bit.... psychotherapy, brutally honest journalling, work with a *good* addiction counselor... things like that provide at least a start, though these are just examples that leapt to mind for me; there's no end to the possible forms this work could take.

Psychedelics can certainly play a part in deepening recovery. But, like cj, I'm a little nervous about leaning on them too hard. Again, this is just my opinion (though one I've arrived at after a shit-ton of trial and error), but I think that eventually, we need to do the hard, frankly boring and painful work of excavating ourselves and learning to be at least capable of self-reliance, self-acceptance, and less prone to self-hate and self-annihilation. And I think that for this kind of project, there's no substitute for authentic introspection.

I hope this makes some sense. Regardless, welcome back!

To address the demons man I am doing some stuff, but not enough. Expressive writing and phone calls to friends, a lot via email. I've made a support system of friends, with varying personalities, who I can talk to comfortably about various aspects of my life problems. That's it. I am getting into a psychologist, and psychiatrist, asap as well. I used to keep this all bottled up inside and I don't think that was healthy. I talk to people a lot now about everything from girl problems to unemployment to chronic physical agony to drug cravings, off this site by the way. Also, I make videos to document my journey.

Psychedelics are out of the question right now after thinking about it. Seriously... just no more fucking drugs dude. Psychedelics just get me high to be honest. Really high, I can save that for when I am better into recovery. It's not going to fix anything, except perhaps low (sub-psychedelic) doses of ibogaine when I'm extremely stressed. So yeah... no DMT right now fuck. If it messed with me in any way, somehow, it would screw everything up worse and I am very unstable these days (in case you didn't notice : p ) ... it's just a terrible idea man. I've already used it a lot anyway and I know what it does.

Yeah man like you're saying I don't think there is really a way around it. I have to work on self-acceptance for sure and see the good in myself, not the bad. I need extra support than just my own support system I've built up so I'm getting into some professionals by the end of the year, just waiting on it really.

For now, I seriously need to get the fuck off these comfort meds. The baclofen is horrible dude... I was taking like 100mg a day in acute withdrawal and quit cold turkey yesterday. I am having some physical problems with muscle tension and rebound spasticity, and that shit just makes me drowsy as hell and kind of stupid. I was only supposed to be on it a week, and it's been like 2 months. I need to get off it before anything else... and then make sure I'm taking 2mg klonopin daily and nothing whatsoever more - apart from natural remedies for anxiety like chamomile, Valerian, B vitamins, L-theanine, etc. ... just no more fucking 'comfort' meds that are really just separate budding drug addictions. Once I address that, I will go back to my prescribed dose for pain... I'm taking a little more than that now (60mg over 40mg is my limit I am giving myself while I deal with this other shit because I fucked up taking way too many other drugs for anxiety, and they have to go). So I don't think I'm doing THAT bad. I just fucked up again, and I recognize that it was yet another mistake. The trigger was just stupid too, but really it was accumulated extreme stress that led to this. Felt like I was completely losing my mind from the insomnia.

^^
That sounds pretty solid, man. I've found that having a list of friends whom I talk to *often* and outside my comfort zone is huge. By "outside my comfort zone" I mean that I force myself to talk seriously about how things are going and how I'm feeling. Hugely helpful.

And I think the shrinks may prove very helpful for you, though of course, they are hit-or-miss, in terms of individual providers' skills and fit with each of us.

I hear borderline people like me are a therapist's worst nightmare. I can totally see why... we'll see how it goes haha. I am so damn defensive.

I'm stocked up on health supplements, quickly getting back to my normal benzo use before it's too late (NO more 20mg xanax doses... I need to develop coping skills for those extreme types of panic attacks and whenever I get unbearably angry, depressed, lonely etc.), and then getting my shit together straight away with the pills. Just really gotta make sure I'm not switching one addiction for a couple others, I don't want to worsen my benzo habit over this... I really don't want to be over 2mg klonopin daily and I was taking 4 to 6mg a lot of days recently. Not good. And no more drugs, not even psychedelics. Just benzos and the amount of pills I need for my physical agony, which should become reduced over time as my tolerance drops.

How could I forget! You already know this from out PM's, but the best emotional outlet of all is my guitar. I have been playing a lot lately, and whenever I'm moody it's good to pick up my guitar, and create something based around how I'm feeling. Really helps.