• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My new fight against addiction and relapse

Tkane

Greenlighter
Im quitting my opiate addiction.. on day 6 with only neurotin and klonopin.. i was given a suboxone the ither day.. if i take a piece if it would that be considered a relapse?

Yes it’s a relapse back to an opioid. But I’m sure it helped a little. How are the withdrawals?

It would probably help how you feel and not be a step back but if you can avoid taking it, try avoiding it. How are you feeling?

Yeah taking the suboxone could potentially 'reset' your withdrawals as it is an opioid. But as to whether it's 'considered a relapse' that is something you have to decide on for yourself.

I take methadone everyday but don't consider taking my methadone a relapse. I guess it depends what you're looking for in your recovery.

For me recovery is not about abstaining from all drugs but about improving my mental health, safety, ability to function in society and my happiness.

In an abstinence based conception of recovery taking suboxone would certainly be considered a relapse and I would be considered a poor unfortunate addict in denial doomed to never see the light (gee Quere, resentful much??).

But yeah, good luck with your journey!! I hope you feel better soon :)

I'd concur that it is pretty much up to you to decide what is a relapse and what isn't.

On the other hand, as people trying to recover from addiction, we can sometimes convince ourselves that something is okay when it isn't, which can be a slippery slope.

I haven't had an intoxicant in one week, this time (yay me bec the first week is often the hardest), but I am on prescribed escitalopram 10mg, quietapine 100mg, and today I had 3 cups of coffee which, for where I'm at now, was too much.

But I don't count those things as being not-sober.

Nor did i count the time I was injured and had to have an IV opiate at the hospital.

Anyway, welcome to the BL H&R subforum and best of luck, it gets better.