• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

My friend is blind

Do you think maybe they should be more prepared to get dissociated and hole on psychedelics or disso's, because blind people are always one step closer to sensory deprivation? Or is that just thinking wrong and purely from a seeing person's perspective?

Yeah interesting question, I can only imagine as I'm not blind and don't know anyone who is. I kind of think it would be the same chance of this as it would be for a sighted person, because a blind person is 100% accustomed to living without sight. They just would have different habits for navigating life. If they lost track of those habits they could become dissociated or lost, just as a sighted person could become dissociated if they lost their bearings on reality.

On the other hand, the world of sound and touch is innately different to the world of light... so it really is going to be a different experience. Perhaps sound and touch is more internal and intimate than light and sight?

An update everyone. My friend decided it wasn't a good time in his life and backed out

Thanks for update. If he ever does decide to trip, report back. It will be good to have the info out for other blind potential trippers.

Might be fun for a sighted person to try a pseudo-blind trip.

The sighted person would experience visuals I'm sure, if they did already.
Putting a blindfold on, wouldn't that just be the same as closing one's eyes, and experiencing CEVs?

Its those with cortical blindness, or who's eyes have been nonfunctional since birth that would IMO be more likely to experience the sensory distortions produced by psychedelics in other sensory modalities, since they have never HAD visual processing to distort. Its a valid point too, that the blind from birth, who have been given sight via medical intervention can often be extremely disoriented when confronted with the new sensory modality. Perhaps similarly to autistic people (like me) when we experience a sensory overload. Different in some ways, as the senses that overload were already present, with it being merely the input data that is received un-filtered.

And I bet theres something in common with a blind person (never sighted) gaining the use of sight, and a sighted person tripping for the first few times, with the massive changes in the way they experience sensory input.

I qasked "what do blind people "see" on DMT? and was informed that those who hve been blind since birth have no "visuals", but those who were once sighted do...

Kinda bummed me out to hear that though, it means that if people were actually "going" anywhere during the DMT experience then having once been able to see or not should make no difference.

The person who could see at one time is pulling from their sighted memory, otherwise they should have identical experiences.

Not entirely true, there was a famous thread in reddit where a blind from birth musician allowed people to ask him anything and the topic of psychedelics was 90% of the trhread, as he was an avid user. He actually did claim to experience color.....not with the actual eye-organ. But he described colors rather poetically....he said that he would experience the colors and described red as "hot and passionate"...and so forth. You have to read the thread as it was rather convincing.

OH! I found it! Go grab yourself some popcorn and some cold boys.....I hope you have an hour to kill because this is an absolutely FASCINATING READ!!! http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/cppdf/iama_blind_person_from_birth_who_has_used/

Perhaps it's worth considering "easing" them into it by way of first introducing them to each separate aspect/sensation of tripping separately (where possible).

So maybe start with something like weed (assuming they've never smoked before). That'll give them a small insight into the mental aspects of a trip.

Then maybe nitrous. That'll introduce them to the body load aspect in a way.

Small steps leading up to something like a very low dose DMT trip, preferably vapourised for accuracy. DMT, while fairly intense (hence low dosage), is a short trip as we know which would help if they find it really uncomfortable - it'll be over soon enough. Plus you can titrate dose much more easily due to little/no immediate tolerance build up.