• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Mother of festival drugs victim says we have learned nothing since her son’s death

poledriver

Bluelighter
Mother of festival drugs victim says we have learned nothing since her son’s death

fa42f766efb323a96e490c8d133b345e

Adriana Buccianti holding photos of her some Daniel who died in 2012 after taking drugs at the Rainbow Serpent music festival in Victoria. Source: supplied.

THE day Adriana Buccianti’s son died he was so disorientated he no longer knew who his mother was. It was a Saturday night and a clearly distressed Daniel, who was 34 years old, begged his mother to pick up him up from the Rainbow Serpent music festival, in Eastern Victoria, and take him home.

“He said, ‘Mum, I’ve taken something really bad I’ve never taken before. Some really bad acid, I’ve never experienced this’,” Ms Buccianti tells news.com.au.
Early the next morning, she would get a knock at the door from police informing her that her only son had been found dead.

Daniel died in 2012, a victim of combining too many potent drugs. But Ms Buccianti wonders if we’ve learnt anything from her son’s death after Sylvia Choi, a 25-year-old pharmacist from Oyster Bay in southern Sydney, passed away after taking ecstasy at last weekend’s Stereosonic music festival, the latest in a string of deaths at dance parties.

This weekend, thousands of people are set to gather once more to dance the day away as Stereosonic hits Brisbane.
“We’ve had five deaths this year in NSW and no amount of dogs and searching has stopped that. I have full respect for the law and the police, but it’s clear our drugs policies are not working,” she said.

BEST FRIENDS

They may have been mum and son, said Ms Buccianti from Epping in Melbourne’s northern suburbs, “but we were also best friends and there wasn’t much I didn’t know about him.”
They didn’t judge one another, she said. “I counselled him but he was able to make his decisions based on his own experiences and live his life as he saw fit.”

In his late teens, Daniel tried a few careers including being a chef and working with people with autism which, his mum says, he loved. He headed to university to study agricultural science which earned him the nickname “farmer Dan” among his friends and family.

“He saw himself as a tree hugging hippy, but he was born in the wrong era. He loved the tie dye T-shirts but he could never get his hair long enough to become dreadlocks — but he tried his hardest,” Ms Buccianti recalls fondly.
“When he was 18 or 19, he discovered the rave scene,” she said. “He loved that type of music, watching bands. He wanted to be himself for a few days without any scrutiny, to not shower and dress like he wanted.”
Ms Buccianti knew her son, like many others who attend festivals, took drugs.

“I didn’t condone it, but Daniel kept saying he knew what he was doing and it was very difficult. How do you stop it? I thought I’d be better knowing so we could have an open and honest discussion.”

‘I CAN’T BE HERE ANYMORE’

But as Daniel headed off on a Friday in January 2012 into the Victorian countryside for his final festival, something made his mum hesitate. “I said, ‘Daniel, don’t turn me into a statistic, make sure you know what you’re doing’.
“He said ‘don’t worry, I know, I love you.’”

SCUMBAGS

“I bet my bottom dollar if my son was able to go somewhere and test his drugs and they said ‘you know this is 100 x stronger than you’ve had before’, he would never have taken it,” says Mrs Buccianti who has set up a Change.org petition to put pressure on the state Governments to implement drug checking services at festivals this summer.

Cont-

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...h/news-story/fa8f11d23edc9ca31363b3c902a54673

Makes me sick to my stomach that these prohibitionist twits continue to deny the need for change.

Oh how helpless her son is... hope he then renewed his life and love her mother...

Last edited:
“We’ve had five deaths this year in NSW and no amount of dogs and searching has stopped that. I have full respect for the law and the police, but it’s clear our drugs policies are not working,” she said.

Right, we clearly need to legalize drugs so nobody has to even wonder if they took "bad acid" anymore.

"Get yer strips of LSD-25 here! 10-strips for $20, or get 10 for $150. Lab-tested, user approved!"

All the cop dogs and police searches in the world won't stop people getting high. Seen it first hand. Gonna see it again Saturday. Condolences to this mother, got lots of respect for her open mindedness. Didn't know bunk acid could fuck people up so bad :/ but I've never gotten into it a whole lot.

really unevenly laid acid can fuck you up royal my friend. I have had three bad trips that lead to hospitalization and psychward. Then again it may not have been acid.

I have read of people taking (most often accidentally) up to many milligrams of real LSD and all they experienced was an extremely intense trip. As far as I know, LSD doesn't kill. Considering the fact that real LSD is scarce nowadays and that the most "acid" people buy is likely an NBOMe/2C-X, it is no mystery that people are dying from "bad acid". Unlike LSD, NBOMes actually are dangerous in overdose. So, a slow clap to the prohibitionists for, yet again, making the life of normal people more dangerous than necessary. A job well done.

I myself have taken up to 500 micrograms of LSD and just had very intense trips (bad too). Anybody saying that you can die from taking 1 tab of "LSD" is either not talking about real LSD or just bullshitting.

E: it is actually nice to see a sensible person after such a tragedy. It boggles my mind how few people understand what is really behind all these deaths. Prohibition.

Last edited:
I remember this happening years ago.. but the specific details of the toxicology report were never published at the request of the mother. I'm willing the bet the prescription substances played a central role in his death, but we will never know for certain.

While a toxicology report was conducted, revealing the presence of drugs including prescription medication, Ms Buccianti has requested details of the results not be reported.

We need more people like this. Who can see what the right course of action given the situation. And the most important, they have the "emotional backing" that validates their point in the eyes of the masses.

It's touching to see someone, clearly still suffering, that realizes what isn't the culprit. So many parents in similar situations need a target for their grief and just blame the drugs.

It's touching to see someone, clearly still suffering, that realizes what isn't the culprit. So many parents in similar situations need a target for their grief and just blame the drugs.

It is easy to bury your head in the sand and just parrot the Big Man in this case: "oh my god drugs killed my child! zero tolerance approach!". It takes a special kind of person who can see what is right through their blurry, teary eyes. She, as sad as that is, is the kind of people we need to convince the stupid masses.