• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Most effective Benzo?

StalinsLipstick

Greenlighter
I'm visiting my psychiatrist tomorrow and I want some information that I could maybe relay to him/her. Currently I'm taking .5 mgs of clonazepam (klonopin) 3 times a day and have been for the past 2 months. I'm not sure what it is but I no longer feel the sedative and calming effects anymore. In fact I have a very hard time sleeping even when I add an extra .5 to my dose at bedtime. So, basically I want to know if it's safe to be prescribed two benzos at once. I want one that helps my mood swings and racing thoughts (bipolar) during the day and one that knocks me out. I want to keep it in the benzo family so when I have to taper off I'm not fighting multiple battles. I've heard valium is very sedating but also heard it's not that strong and given my tolerance I'm not sure if that's the right one. Any suggestions? Alprazolam (xanax) seems promising but the short half life concerns me because I need longer acting ones. (I'm in the U.S. btw) idk if that matters or restricts what kinds of benzos I can get prescribed. Thanks! =D

I can only tell you from personal experience that out of all the benzos Xanax is the granddaddy of chill pills. While none knock me out cold, valium and klonopin are to me quite mild but have longer symptom suppression. IME Xanax is the most effective but for a shorter amount of time. Xanax will have you more dependent but if you're anything like me its worth it to function in society. Mind you, I currently consult a street pharmacist....not exactly a MD. Although it's my only option currently I am far from being properly monitored by a professional and we might have different anxiety disorders too. If you have social anxiety and racing thoughts at night I think it will work for you too. As far as withdrawing, I've never had severe DTs, perhaps moody and slightly agitated for a few days. Nothing physical.

yeah I agree a xanax has never failed me but the rebound anxiety sucks and I take benzos for anxiety AND for being bipolar so that's why I don't like the shorter acting benzos cause as soon as they wear off I start to feel and act shitty. I've heard a lot of good things about temazepam. know anything about that one?

I'm prescribed Xanax 2mg 2x daily and Klonopin 1mg 2x daily, at the same time by the same doctor.

now keep in mind, I started off with a script of Klonopin, 1mg 2x daily.. (when I actually got scripted a benzo).. then went up to 1mg 3x daily.. then 2mg 2x daily, and so forth.. It took me at least a year to get Rx'd 2 potent benzos at the same time..

okay so it's safe I'm assuming to be on 2 benzos. They are the only ones that have worked for me so I'm hoping the Doc will be sympathetic. That being said are there any side effects that you've noticed being on xanax and klonopin at the same time? especially at the dose you're at? Because if I could keep the klonopin and get xanax that seems okay to me because I still have the long half life. But tapering off is also always in the back of my mind because I've heard some horror stories about that.

I'm not sure what it is but I no longer feel the sedative and calming effects anymore. In fact I have a very hard time sleeping even when I add an extra .5 to my dose at bedtime.

That's called tolerance and even if you add another benzo you'll eventually become tolerant to the effects again so imo you should think about other options, like CBT etc.
But if you want another drug maybe a Z-drug will help

Xanax or etizolam are good bets for short term use, but none are really sustainable for medium-long term daily use (in most people).

Keep in mind when you are prescribed with the more popular, short-term effective benzodiazepines (like Xanax or Ativan) you are more or less signing up for some very unpleasant symptoms that develop when you taper and/or stop medication after prolonged use. Namely, as mentioned above, Xanax and Ativan are geared for panic attacks and short-term anxiety relieving solutions as opposed to your Klonopin dosing. I wouldn't mention this if it didn't hit home, a friend of mine was prescribed Xanax and Klonopin by several doctors and long story short, he developed a life-struggling benzodiazepine withdraw syndrome that put him in the hospital more times than he would admit...not to mention suicidal thoughts arising from the syndrome's complication. It is actually a bit bizarre, because my friend had the exact same issues you were having regarding needing two separate benzos for various desired effects.

You think your sleep is bad now? Wait until some careless practitioner prescribes you one benzo, and another prescribes one as well, you're hitting the fast road to personal hell. Remember that benzos main pathway of activation in the brain is via the GABA receptor, aka only the most prevalent receptor in the brain, period. This allows for more issues to arise when stopped.

If you are really bent on maintaining your benzo schedule, I would stray away from Xanax. I say this because despite its excellent effectiveness at suppressing anxiety, the potential for abuse and dependence is almost guaranteed. Ten years ago that would not have been an issue really, as you could find hoards of actual Xanax on the street for reasonable prices. After regulations changed and awareness was brought to its widespread abuse in the U.S., prescriptions to Xanax have dropped dramatically as have the street availability. People who were in your position a decade ago are now struggling to find Xanax on the street, which is a great shame because I have to be the one to tell my friends and acquaintances that the press and ingredients in their street Xanax pills are predominantly bunk. I actually haven't seen many people selling Xanax (real Xanax, plenty of people sell these rugged pressed bars that anyone who has ever taken one would recognize in a split second) anymore because of the cut-down by the pharmaceutical industry. You definitely do not want to be that 'guy' who has to score benzos from the street, because all-around thats a losing game unless you know someone who sells their script.

Klonopin is effective in my opinion, but as you are experiencing now, you have to keep readjusting (upping) dosage. As my friend experienced, this will eventually come crashing down on you; of course you could taper, but when the day arrives it will be your responsibility to use accordingly (it won't be easy)!. Of course, there is always the ancient Buspar for GAD, but the effects for individuals who have been previously prescribed benzodiazepines does reduce the effectiveness, according to studies and patient experiences. Valium, at this point in your benzo career, would be relatively moot, being that Klonopin is already the forerunner in that department.

I heed the part where you mentioned you would rather remain in the benzo department, but the new perspective on anxiety and GAD is that is closely related to general depressive disorders, so the treatment can serve both purposes. Definitely worth checking out the newer Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors.

How long are you planning on using benzos? Do you really want to risk taking two separate benzos with slightly, varying possible long-term side effects? This will take some research and personal decision making on your part to weigh the benefits of taking the medication to curb your anxiety and bouts of other mental issues. I would definitely hold off on getting two separate scripts, mainly because it's not recommended, but mostly because it spells more trouble in the long run. I think you have it good with your Klonopin, but I would speak with your doctor about the future and whether he will accommodate dosage changes over time (most doctors do, but some won't). As far as you mentioning bipolar, from personal experience you should be on some kind of medication

Last edited:
I don't think it's a good idea too look for the strongest benzo, which you ask about, but rather trust your doctor for the safest solution of your problem. Of course, you need a trust worthy doctor for that.

I disagree, doctors are paid in some cases to promote prescription drugs they know are probably not the solution to their patients. It's a vicious cycle. I work in one of the largest hospital networks in the United States, and I see so much of this occurring, especially with anti-depressants and other commonly prescribed classes of drugs.

His psychiatrist is definitely a more reliable source for prescribing drugs like anxiolytics due to the sheer nature of their occupation. Like bomber mentioned, stronger is a recipe for destruction. I once dabbled with a very uncommon, off-market research benzo in which I literally ingested a dab of powder from my index finger and don't remember the better part of two weeks...not to mention driving my car over a median and nearly into an occupied church. My speech was ultra-slurred and my general focus and consciousness were practically non-existent.

^When I said "doctor", his psychiatrist is what I was talking about. And my point wasn't that much about trusting him, mostly was about looking for the safest solution posible.
Looking for the most effective benzo posible ain't a good strategy.

Why isn't it pertinent to request the most effective? Like all other drugs the longer you take them them, the greater the amount necessary to achieve the same result. I believe the longest lasting and most potent benzodiazepine is Hydroxepam - no longer prescribed but still available. Apparently it works "too well".

I got xanax for acute separation anxiety from a close one - as soon as possible I requested a switch to oxazepam, as I have to say alprazolam, of all the tens of substances I've consumed, takes the prize in tendency to escalation of consuming of uncontrollable doses, pretty much results in having gone full benzo postal.
No acceleration, or sign given, just 0-60 and in an immediate manner.

I've weaned myself a couple of times of strong opioids, detached some psychological dependencies (the escapism, or societal separation bubble effect -subculture being the lure) of light drugs. There's the stims, there's the rc's.

For me, Xanax is only meant as relief for very acute and very real, immediate anxiety - otherwise a poison so devious, it catches even a fox. The fast onset helplessly makes alprazolam the most euphoric benzo and this is why it's fucking dangerous. Switch away as fast as possible to longer acting and more mature chill pills, like oxazepam.

Additionally I want to point out here already mentioned, these two words: rebound anxiety. You pay dearly for using this compound.

Bleeding edge research as a hobbyist, as curiosa, I can mention that by accident I have come to conclude that another benzo, quite new and not clearmarket material by far, actually beats all the fluff and rainbows of alprazolam. The new contender is called bromazolam. Shouldn't even be much regulated yet.
My tens of years of experience with different substances, would suggest Bromazolam as being the safer choice. However, it is unresearched by far, and this is my two cents thrown to the pile.

Peace.

Why isn't it pertinent to request the most effective? Like all other drugs the longer you take them them, the greater the amount necessary to achieve the same result. I believe the longest lasting and most potent benzodiazepine is Hydroxepam - no longer prescribed but still available. Apparently it works "too well".

Fenazepam has had people black out for half a year, arriving into a reality with divorces, car accidents, bankruptcy and hospitalization.
Redosing while blacked out, on and on stuck in a vicious circle. I tried it and am going to say it was most potent and long acting, but cold as ice, no regrets in saying the wrong things, or pushing buttons on a highly aggressive and unstable ex. Results can be concluded by this statement already. Jesus, it was the worst ever, atleast self-medicating.