• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

News More Doctors Can Now Prescribe a Key Opioid Treatment. Will It Help?

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

More Doctors Can Now Prescribe a Key Opioid Treatment. Will It Help?

Noah Weiland
New York Times
3 Mar 2023

Excerpts:

BALTIMORE — Buprenorphine, a medication to treat opioid addiction, has quietly stabilized Randall Lambert’s drug use over the past 15 years, even as chaos surrounded him. He cycled in and out of rehab facilities and jail, but the buprenorphine he took eased his heroin cravings and kept him from withdrawal. He is now sober, living in a rehab facility and nurturing relationships with his three children and his mother.

“I’ve had to rebuild so many times,” Mr. Lambert, who works at the rehab site supervising medications for other residents, said on a recent afternoon. But buprenorphine, he said, “got me to a place where I got clean.”

Now buprenorphine, once highly restricted, is available to far more doctors to prescribe for patients, the result of a significant change in federal drug policy that scrapped a special licensing requirement known as an “X waiver.” In December, Congress approved the change as part of a government spending package, dramatically expanding the pool of physicians and health workers who could prescribe the medication.
But addiction experts warn that lifting the buprenorphine restrictions may not prove to be a panacea. The health system’s gaps in reaching opioid users remain vast despite a catastrophic surge in overdose deaths in recent years, those experts say.

Medical schools tend not to incorporate opioid addiction in their curriculums, leaving younger doctors without specific training in treating drug users. Some health providers with busy medical practices are wary of the psychiatric and social needs of opioid users. Treatment for Black and Hispanic people is often spotty and shorter. And even when someone obtains a prescription for buprenorphine, some pharmacies may not dispense it.