View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Mirtazopine Tripping

straingod

Greenlighter
I have been diagnosed with ADHD, and I used to have social anxiety but I haven't for quite some time. My new pill regime prescribed by my psychiatrist is:

Morning: Vyvanse 30mg, Dextroamphetamine

Bedtime: Mirtazopine 15mg (for appetite and sleep) & Risperidone 1mg

So I haven't exactly been on track with taking my Risperidone and all my morning meds for quite awhile. I did take all my AM meds this morning though as I will every morning from here on out due to the experience I had the past two nights. I used to take 60mg vyvanse every morning So I had a bit of tolerance to vyvanse. I've also been smoking weed for about a year now.

That sums up my background, I'm happy to go into more detail if requested if it will help answer any questions.

Here's what happened..
When I went to bed I popped the Mirtazopine 15mg like my psychiatrist told me too. Now being the curious guy I am I obviously researched this new drug a bit before I took it. I read some people's reports that it can actually act as a hullucinogenic drug because it affects certain receptors in the brain, the same receptors that other phsycoactive drugs react on. But I wasn't too concerned because what I read was that you need to be on a pretty heavy dose to actually get high from it.

None of this is made up. I swear to Christ this is exactly as I remember it. The following "trip" took place on my second night taking the Mirtazopine. I ONLY took 15mg

Well, that seemed to be enough because low and behold as I was falling asleep I began to hear voices.. barely audible at first but they slowly grew louder then I was out. But I didn't feel like was asleep. The moment I "fell asleep" I actually felt my body come out of itself. Like literally, I was paralyzed in my bed and I visually could see myself float out of my body... Then just like that I was running through a dimly lit city. Kinda like if you turned the brightness way down when your playing GTA. It was so vivid I knew I was dreaming at that point because I looked at my hands and they were wet but they felt dry. I figured I was simply lucid dreaming. But then shit got wierd. I was in a different realm. It felt evil, dark, and unknown. Like I'd entered into some depths of my brain that I was never supposed to go in. I knew I was tripping. But I couldn't stop it. I went along with it. I literally hijacked a tank and blew it up. The wierd part: it was in a dessert but then I appeared downstairs in my house with the couch flipped over. I was still asleep but I didn't know what was real anymore. I covered the entrance to the "tank" (couch) with a pillow I think to keep whatever was in there from escaping.. I was scared of it I guess? next thing I knew I was back in a dessert looking at two corpses wearing blue hospital masks with a beautiful women lying next to them. Then I teleported again, into my bed. I thought I was actually awake at this point so I reached up to turn on my lamp but when I flipped the switch nothing happened.. I knew I was still asleep at that point because this has actually happened before. Where I thought I woke up and I try to turn on the light switch but the lights don't come on. Keep in mind I'm actually paralyzed in my bed this entire time. Now I teleport again, behind my bed and stuck between the wall.

What the fuck is going on here.

Stick with me. Shit gets weirder.

Finally morning comes I really do wake up this time. I check my phone, read some snapchats and I decide to go back to sleep.. that was a big mistake.

As I'm falling back to sleep I begin to hear the voices again. This time children laughing, police sirens, people having conversations. Everything just talking. And it all sounded like it was coming from inside my room. When I fell asleep I instantly felt the same out of body experience that I felt before. I was literally thrust into a different world. I was around alot of people. Most of them unrecognizable some I knew personally. At one point I thought I was hugging my girlfriend and it turned out to be some girl I'd never seen before. Again, I thought I had woken up only to this time, actually feeling myself paralyzed in my bed. This false "awaking" would end up occuring multiple times. Now, this is the wierdest part.. I had a conversation with my mom and saw my dad come into my room. I could hear another man in my hallway. My dad left my room and that man walked into my room, went downstairs and then he left. Also I felt something slap my butt. I still could feel myself completely paralyzed and I knew I was asleep so I did something that would seem not to make any sense.

I opened my eyes. In real life I opened my eyes while I was asleep.

I saw my room, and I saw my hand on the sheets.. So, I waved my hand in front of my face. I couldn't see it. It was still lying there frozen on the sheets. I could make out very very faint outlines of my hand moving in front of me but I realize now I did something that should be impossible. I was in the void between consciousness and sleep. Me moving my hand in front of my face, that was all in my head. I was paralyzed and I actually saw myself paralyzed then I eventually woke up after a couple more "false awakenings".

That's it. So does anyone have any insight as to why this happened and how the fuck this was even possible.
-Thanks guys

Last edited:
I had a few sheets of this left over from a while ago when my GP prescribed them to me for panic attacks, I took 200mg of it and I had a very sedative, delirious trip. to anyone reading this it's pointless trying it for recreation, interesting experience but just not something I'd do again.

I would have to agree about not wanting to try it again. I already have had sleep paralysis before but just 15mg made it much, much worse.

I had a few sheets of this left over from a while ago when my GP prescribed them to me for panic attacks, I took 200mg of it and I had a very sedative, delirious trip. to anyone reading this it's pointless trying it for recreation, interesting experience but just not something I'd do again.

Mirtazapine can cause extremely vivid dreams and also affects (usually improves) sleep architecture. 15mg is likely to be extremely sedating even without the risperidone on top of it, particularly if you've just started on that dose without ramping up over a couple of weeks or so. And sleep paralysis also involves disordered sleep architecture. It doesn't seem farfetched at all that this combination of factors would cause you to have a weird experience while sleeping. You might want to discuss this with your psychiatrist the next time you talk to them.

Your experience sounds similar to some others I've read on Erowid from mirtazipine. Dreams can be extremely weird, and in my experience, whenever I've had sleep paralysis, they are incredibly intense.

Just FYI: mirtazapine does not get more sedating the higher dose gets. 7.5 mg may be more sedating because of proportion of H1 antagonism vs. norepinephrinergic effects among other things.

Yes it does mess you up lying down, I got akathisia from it... but yeah sleep paralysis and influence on dreaming or hypnogogic imagery are possible.

Just FYI: mirtazapine does not get more sedating the higher dose gets. 7.5 mg may be more sedating because of proportion of H1 antagonism vs. norepinephrinergic effects among other things.

I've been on 7.5, 15 and 30. 30mg is not sedating for me but 15 is very much so.

Yeah lower doses a bit more sedating, 7.5 and also 15. My psych Dr. wanted to up me to 30 when I said 15 wasn't working as well for sleep anymore, I facepalmed in my head at his lack of detailed research into things he prescribes so frivilously. I took 30 1 night and got ridiculous cotten mouth and a fuzzy head so Fuck that.

My gramma tripped balls when her Dr. prescribed her, lol, she said flowers were sprouting all over the trees. Apparently senior citizens are much more prone to the tripping effect. Hold old are you OP if you don't mind me asking?

i took Risperdol one night when I was younger and the dream I had was a nightmare so vivid i never took it again. Never took Mirtazopine but I can imagine what you experienced was out of this world/unique. Even a small amount of Seroquel (for me) produces surreal OBE dreams. Dreams can be insane to where it's not even the slightest bit like reality at all.

As a side note, definitely be careful with what you mix with what you're prescribed.. antipsychotics and a lot of stuff don't mix.

2 nights ago this happened, I'm sure facilitated by mitazipine, seroquel, valerian root extract, melatonin, l-thianene, and some other things.

"I just woke up from the most amazing dream, maybe the most amazing ever (I know, that's what I always say- but seriously guys this was next-level dreaming in the persistence of image, color, depth and feeling). It was the kind of dream where I had a false awakening and proceeded to have a dream where I was telling people about it, hopes of remembering more of it before it slipped back away into the aether. And then I really woke up and realized I never left the bed, and 4 months of dream-time was actually more like 40 minutes.
By the way, Taib Foundling, we fell in love one night in the dream, and I fell in love with all of your animals too, but I was allergic to something of yours, and that prevented us from realizing our full potential and spending more time together. We were going to have dinner together tomorrow at any rate, after months of me being away. I was very excited to see you again, and I was dreaming of the day."

I'm aware most people would say mirtazapine has no rec value and that may be. But for those of us who are willing to dive deeper into the uncontious mind. I think more research is needed. I have been off all my meds for a few months. I'll pop a dexie here and there but no regime. Everything, feels slow as fuck.

Hey Straingod! How's it going? It's nice to hear from you. Hope you're doing well.

I just got your PM (I just replied) and realized that I deleted my post from here a while back in a moment of paranoid self-doubt 8( Hope this helps...

Mirtazapine (brand name Remeron in the US) used to give me epic dreams when I first started taking it back in 2011. I believe my starting dosage was 15mg at bedtime. Like somebody mentioned, this chemical is unique in the sense that lower doses are actually more sedating than higher ones.

I enjoyed my mirtazapine dreams because they were often lucid and I could do cool stuff like fly and conjure up beautiful women at will (well, when it worked, ha ha). Unfortunately for me, this "side effect" wore off after a month or two, but so did the weight gain and daytime sleepiness so it was a mixed blessing.

Anyway, I try not to discuss the pharmaceutical aspect of things very much because I have no medical credentials whatsoever and would never want to give anybody the wrong advice, so I'll stick to the dreaming aspect. Here are some terms that I copied from an old dream post of mine. Enjoy...

Vivid Dream: There is no concrete definition for this because people have different ideas of what qualifies as vivid. Dreams can vary greatly in not only detail but emotional content, familiarity and a host of other features. I actually consider the majority of my dreams to be vivid because I can usually remember them in great detail. Even so, the scenery can range anywhere from completely realistic to amazingly surreal.

Lucid Dream: A lucid dream is one in which you are actually aware that you are dreaming. Most people (including myself) don't even realize that they have been dreaming until after they wake up, which amazes me considering how bizarre some of them can be. Just like other aspects, dreams can have varying degrees of lucidity. For instance, I recently had one where I was completely aware that it was a dream, but during part of it I wrote something on a scrap of paper so that I could read it when I woke up!!! (I know, it makes no sense. But then again, neither do a lot of my dreams!) In some, I know that I am dreaming but cannot control any aspect of it. Finally... and these are my all-time favorites... there are the ones where I not only know that I am dreaming but can actually do some pretty cool things that are impossible in real life, such as floating/flying or visiting distant galaxies. You can dream anything that your imagination can conjure up, so the possibilities are basically endless. Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to control any aspect of a dream, but there is a lot of information online on how to become "good" at it.

False Awakening: This is when you dream that you have woken up. Often you can remember great details of your last dream, not even realizing that you are still in one! They often take the form of the dreaded "running late for work/school" dream. Sometimes my dream bedroom looks nearly identical to my real one, although usually after waking up (for real) I realize that at least one thing was out of place.

Nightmare: I know that everybody knows what a nightmare is, but I have included it in order to differentiate from the next one...

Night Terror: This is when you wake suddenly from a sort of mini-dream that usually involves being in some type of immediate danger, and continue to experience it even after your eyes are open. Often people bolt out of bed, unaware of their surroundings. One time I actually ran out the front door because I thought that a train was coming at my room! These plagued me between my mid-teens and early 20's, which I have since learned is when most of them occur. They are also much more common in males for some reason, which I am.

Sleep Paralysis: This is actually not (to me, anyway) nearly as scary as it sounds. It usually occurs when you begin to wake up and are aware of being in your bed, but still not 100% in control of your thoughts and actions. For a moment you may find it difficult to roll over or move in other ways. Sometimes it is accompanied by a feeling of being restrained in some way, and it may feel as though there is somebody else present. Some people believe that this is where the incubus/succubus legend arose (a mythical creature), along with accounts of alien abduction and out-of-body experiences. It has happened to me quite a few times, but it never freaked me out like I would have expected it to. It actually helped me overcome my fear of being trapped in small places or unable to move, because I have already "experienced" it in a way (and had no clue what was happening at the time).

Hypnogogia: This is the state that you are in when you begin to fall asleep. Sometimes you may hear random (and in my case, often ridiculously funny) snatches of conversation or other sounds. A common one is a quick, loud humming that seems to come from inside the head. You will often see brief flashes of imagery that are not quite full-blown dreams. Physical sensations may also occur, along with actual muscle twitches or the movement of limbs.

Let's see... there are probably more but those are the basics. Of course, everybody is free to come to their own conclusions about the meaning and origin of their dreams. A lot of ancient cultures believed that they were visions of a spiritual nature. The common belief is that they are a product of our subconscious mind, and there are numerous theories as to what (if any) purpose they serve. I think that they can be a great tool of self-discovery, since they often seem to provide me with a glimpse of whatever is going on in my head at the time. If nothing else, I have always found them to be a great source of entertainment. Well, I hope that this has helped a bit.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just need to talk. I don't get on here as much these days but I try to check my messages whenever I can.

Sweet Dreams!!!
Dreamflyer :D