• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methylphenidate duration

Rafayte

Bluelighter
I am prescribed IR methylphenidate in 20mg tablets, three (60mg) daily. I want to know how long last the effects of a tablet IR 20mg methylphenidate orally. I have read from 4 hours to 2-6 hours to it depends of weight, body fat, age, metabolism and other factors. Can you help me, please?

The average seems to be 4 hours but it varies from person to person, if you're going to redose it's normally a good idea to do it before the comedown starts. My suggestion would be to take a single tablet on a day where you don't have anything important to do, and time how long it takes before the main effects start to wear off or the comedown kicks in.

Yes, confirmed, the effects of a 20mg IR methylphenidate tablet orally is just 4 hours for me. Thanks

Hi, 30mg Methylphenidate lasts me 90 minutes. I'm prescribed 240mg Methylphenidate per day.

That might be due to tolerance. 240mg/day seems like an utterly insane dose.

Yep...I'd agree with about 4 hours, though you will probably feel quite "up" on it for a good few hours longer if you don't have much of a tolerance to stims. But 20 mg can be a pretty mild recreational dose for most....how long have you been taking your prescribed dose?

Yep...I'd agree with about 4 hours, though you will probably feel quite "up" on it for a good few hours longer if you don't have much of a tolerance to stims. But 20 mg can be a pretty mild recreational dose for most....how long have you been taking your prescribed dose?
If he's taking 240mg a day then there's no way in hell that he doesn't have much of a tolerance. I'd wager taking that kind of dose for even a few days would be enough to send anyone's tolerance through the roof. The overriding issue here isn't that 20-30mg is only a "mild" dose (purely in terms of recreational usage; from a functional perspective it's a fairly typical dose), it's that it's scarcely over a tenth of what he takes in a single day. It's shouldn't really come as a surprise that 30mg barely lasts 90 minutes when you're taking nearly ten times that amount daily.

Last edited:
I don't know about all this tolerance business. 30mg has always lasted me 90 minutes. I was first prescribed 90mg 3 years ago then 180mg 2 months later and then 240mg 2 months after that. I know that I take huge amounts of methylphenidate but it just goes to show how much it varies from patient to patient. I might add that because my dose is so high I have to to a monthly ECG and blood pressure reading. Every single one is within the safe range.

It's possible that the duration you get is still just down to individual variability; maybe you metabolise it particularly quickly. All the same though, your starting dose was 90mg!? That's practically the maximum dose for most people. Was it 90mg XR, or 30mg 3x/day?

I guess I could try to argue that the duration of effects you've been having since the beginning is purely just down to your starting dose, but methylphenidate seems to be so ridiculously hit-and-miss from person to person (for some it's like cocaine, for others, like me, it's pure anxiety in a pill) that I honestly can't say I'm all that surprised.

Last edited:
The largest capsules we have available in the UK are Medikinet XL 60mg. I was never prescribed modifyed release preparations just the short acting Tranquilyn Methylphenidate as 10mg tablets. It was 3x10mg three times daily then 3x10mg six times daily then my current dose which is 3x10mg eight times daily. This controls my ADHD for exactly 12 hours.

Just a fraction of your Ritalin dose sends me completely apeshit, so I'm not best placed to offer specific advice.
I do know that various substances exist which are meant to prolong the duration of action of certain drugs (typically through inhibiting enzymes that metabolise them, slowing their excretion, or possibly in some cases increasing their bioavailability). The most well-known example of these is probably grapefruit juice, but I have no idea about how it affects Ritalin specifically.

If you want my opinion though: with a combined dose already that high, how to extend the duration of each individual dose is probably not the most useful question to be asking. If lasting just 90 minutes is an issue for you, you should probably talk to your prescribing doctor about switching to an extended release formulation.

It was 3x10mg three times daily then 3x10mg six times daily then my current dose which is 3x10mg eight times daily.
Wait, why on Earth are you being prescribed 8 lots of 3 10mg IR tablets per day instead of simply 8x30mg IR (or even 4x60mg IR scored tablets that you can just split in half)? Just from a logistical point of view that sounds like a complete nightmare - you're effectively talking about more than three quarters of a box per day. O_O

Last edited: