• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Methylphenidate+Bacopa Interactions

Ennui

Greenlighter
For the past month, I have been taking Bacopa extract aka Brahmi monnieri (daily dose: 300mg) for its purported long-term memory enhancement.

Last week, I was prescribed 27mg of Concerta for ADHD, which lasts for roughly 12 hours.

Methylphenidate (MPH), being a dopamine (DA) and norepinephrine (NE) reuptake inhibitor, has the effect of increasing their extracellular concentrations.

Bacopa, on the other hand, has been shown to increase DA, meanwhile decreasing NE (at least in rats).

So,

#1. What possible interactions (pharmacologically) might arise from the combination of a NE reuptake inhibitor and something that decreases NE? Are there any (potential) long-term or short-term implications to consider? Might this dynamic perhaps prevent downregulation of NE receptors?

Given that Bacopa counteracts the NE increase afforded by MPH, I have decided to take it right before bed. This way, I'll minimize any interaction between the two and still be able to benefit from Bacopa's memory enhancement. This leads me to my second question:

#2. Will the noradrenergic interaction between the two be avoided this way, if Bacopa is taken during or shortly after the comedown from MPH?

That, I suppose, depends on whether MPH is still appreciably inhibiting NE reuptake (i.e., if there is appreciable NE activity during/after the comedown). To answer that, I'll pose a simpler question instead:

#3. How long after the comedown period should I expect NE levels to normalize? Or rather, how long until MPH stops inhibiting NE reuptake?

For the first part of that question, I'm inclined to think that it takes a while. This would be consistent with the sleep difficulties even hours after the comedown that many MPH users report. I don't know whether that's on account of elevated NE or DA levels, or some other residual effect entirely. For the second part of my question, there's definitely decreased reuptake inhibition (given the crash resulting from the comedown), but is it negligible?

Sorry if the way I've communicated all these concerns is too disjointed or if I've injected too much of my own (possibly unfounded) speculation.

Any partial answers or speculations are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr

#1. What possible interactions (pharmacologically) might arise from the combination of a NE reuptake inhibitor and something that decreases NE?

#2. Will the noradrenergic interaction between the two be avoided if Bacopa is taken during or shortly after the comedown from MPH?

#3. How long after the comedown period should I expect NE levels to normalize? Or rather, how long until MPH stops inhibiting NE reuptake.

Hi OP,

I just stumbled upon this post and I had the exact question.

Im surprised nobody has replied to you yet.

I was hoping to ask you how you fared with this combo and if the night time bacopa and daytime stimulants was a synergistic combo?

Hope you will reply,

thanks

I have a feeling , from a lot of experience taking bacopa , MPH, that the two are NOT friends. Its gonna cause some choligenic tension , and perhaps some uptight NE induction... Think stress behind the eyes.

Bacopa has the most wonderful, uplifiting, stimulating, relaxing, healing green energy.

I would not start out taking Bacopa at bedtime.I would replace the MPH with the Bacopa. Your mind and cognition will get up-regulated enough in a few weeks that you will not need MPH anymore. I think MPH and its derivatives are garbage,from years of experience with it.

I would stretch to say the two are cointraindicated .

I think you would get much more milage out of bacopa (not even large amounts, 300mgs-1g capsules, vitamin shoppe brand), omega-3s, DHA, and some cdp-choline (dosed at around... 500 mgs).

This combination will up regulate you more than anything concerta will do, and will leave your mind and body in a state which is better than anything MPH can offer.

Bacopa is an absolutely profound herb and I am blessed to meet her as my ally.

Let me know if you need any more references or articles. I have been getting into bacopa research and I am finding it fascinating.

I have a feeling , from a lot of experience taking bacopa , MPH, that the two are NOT friends. Its gonna cause some choligenic tension , and perhaps some uptight NE induction... Think stress behind the eyes.

Bacopa has the most wonderful, uplifiting, stimulating, relaxing, healing green energy.

I would not start out taking Bacopa at bedtime.I would replace the MPH with the Bacopa. Your mind and cognition will get up-regulated enough in a few weeks that you will not need MPH anymore. I think MPH and its derivatives are garbage,from years of experience with it.

I think you would get much more milage out of bacopa (not even large amounts, 300mgs-1g capsules, vitamin shoppe brand), omega-3s, DHA, and some cdp-choline (dosed at around... 500 mgs).

This combination will up regulate you more than anything concerta will do, and will leave your mind and body in a state which is better than anything MPH can offer.

Let me know if you need any more references or articles. I have been getting into

Let me know if you need any more references or articles. I have been getting into bacopa research and I am finding it fascinating.
Please remember that everyone's brain function and chemistry is different, and each person has a unique problem, meaning that some medicines work well for some and the same medications can work poorly for others.

Many people, myself included, see Ritalin as a godsend. Others might not get much benefit or perhaps even negative benefits.

Not preaching, but just because something doesn't work for us (in the specific conditions/circumstances that we've used them in) doesn't mean it can't be a longterm Godsend for others, rather than 'feeling' it's a bad combination.

BTW I use 300mg monnieri baccopa with 2 x 5mg Ritalin daily, and the combo synergises fantastically, for me anyhow. I can even smoke cannabis to produce deep euphoria (without Baccopi/Ritalin, even a tiny bit of cannabis would give me extreme anxiety and Paranoia).

Best,
Mike