• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Methadone vs Subs for detox

averagejoe

Bluelighter
Hi all, I hope you're all doing well.

I'm going to try be real quick here. I'm a 35 year old male from UK. I've had a little thing with DHC these last few years and despite trying other opiods I just can't shake this dhc. All the others did was push my tolerance to the sky high.

Like at the moment I'm around 1.5gs a day. Yeah I know. I'm desperate to stop. I'm a complete fool and the dosage is ridiculous. I'm surprised I'm still alive. I don't even want to contemplate the damage I have done to my body, mind, friends and family until I'm off this bs... I need help.

So I've CT'd several times in the past and as you all know it juat gets worse. The last couple of times I used subs and they kind of helped but only after a couple days of hell from the induction. I still haven't mastered it.

Now I've come across 100ml methadone and was thinking I should try this? I still have access to subs but I'm not keen due to the induction issue. I mean I'm going into withdrawals quite severely after 8 hours so I to manage 24 hours whilst holding down a job is going to be hella tough. What do u guys think?

The thing with the subs is, yeah I can make it through a week using minimal amounts like starting at 6mgs then tapering down over 5 days. But after around 8 days I start to feel rough I'm not sure if it's sub wd or left over dhc? Then in classic addict style I make an excuse to drop a few dhc's to take the edge off. And we all know where it goes from there....

I'm seriously debating whether to post this. I'm so ashamed of my actions and who and what I have become... But hell I'm gonna press the button anyway.

Thankyou everyone for reading I feel Idon't deserve your attention. Stay blessed all.

Hi @averagejoe,
Methadone does it's job, I think if you consume much, if you have great tolerance to opioids, it may be better than switching to bup, once you reach a relatively low dose then ask to switch to bup (I don't say it will be easy..).

All good to you, but don't be effraid to seek help by pros (specialized doctors.., cliniciens at hospital...).
First need is to switch to methadone or buprenorphine.
But in my personnal story, methadone was the Chem I could stop consumming H all day...Bupe is not always "strong enough", but everyone is different it may work for you..

No shame, your not alone to fight.

Hi @averagejoe

Yours sounds surprisingly similar to my experience, i was about 5 years of mainly hydrophone and fentanyl. I don't even know how high my dose was but I know it was a lot. One year now of seriously trying to get off, 4 major attempts with countless minor ones all with varying levels of success. The major attempts were using using both subs and methadone. Suboxone I found to be the worst to get off of, I could never manage. The first two to five days were no problem but then it became a hell i couldn't handle. I would think i need to go back to shorter acting drug without so long a half life so as to get through withdrawals quicker and then it would all start up again and I'd be back to my regular heavy use.

I am now day 7 clean and don't feel great but surprisingly okay. After weaning myself down as much as I could on HM and fentanyl I stopped until I was in as much withdrawal as I could stand. At that point I started the suboxone at a dose I was comfortable with thinking that it blocks the use of other meds so I cant be tempted. I then weaned myself down to about 1-2mg of suboxone, stopped it and waited for the hell to come then 20mg of methadone, 10mg of methadone the next day then stopped and now here I am on day 7 feeling like I can get my life back together.

Just be hella careful with the methadone if you're doing it on your own. Day 1's does you'll think is ok, day 2's you keep it the same or maybe up it a little then on day three that same dose is enough for you to OD as it's accumulated in your system. Then there's lots of other factors that determine how much is in your system too so be super careful if doing it on your own.

I'm not suggesting the above but it's what has worked for me. Suboxone was great for blocking other opiate use but think it's a horrendous one to get off of so used two doses of methadone to get me through the final days of Suboxone withdrawal. I tried the reverse once but no success there however I believe chance has a lot to do with it as well so have to keep trying until things align for it to happen.

Hope that is of some help. As exxplorer says above too, no shame.

Methadone is better for maintenance. Su b is better for a quickish taper. in my experience anyway