• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Methadone. Question?

Eternallyconfused5

Greenlighter
So i have been off dope sence the 15th of November but im on the methadone program and i have been asking mysellf if im really clean because of the methadone so i figured i would ask you guys think and see what you think

Are you using stuff on top of the methadone - I mean are you chipping or getting high on opioids other than methadone?

If so, than I'd say it depends on the specifics of where you're at in your own thought process on this.

But if you've remained abstinent from other opioids and have been maintaining on just methadone, it is very VERY cut and dry: Yes you are sober AND you are abstinent.

At the end of the day, you need to define sobriety and abstinence for yourself. I drink the occasional beer, smoke the occasional joint and use the occasion entheogen. Am I sober? As long as I don't return to my old patterns of behavior that I developed using junk, hell fucking yea! Am I abstinence? As long as I'm not using other opioids or engaging in substance use that was once very harmful (e.g. using coke or heroin), hell fucking yeah!

My views on abstinence (well, actually those are pretty cut and dry, although I don't consider a lapse or even a short relapse cause for denying myself the label of abstinence) and sobriety do not reflect the twelve step, abstinence only dogma however. But like I said, it's ultimately what you make of it.

What do you make of it BTW?

Well thank you my friend i have not used anything sence my clean date so i believe im clean but i have heard people express the view point that because im on methadone then im not clean because it still an opiate but anyway thanx for your opinion

What if you're in a horrible car crash. You are given morphine. You have been sober for years. Does the opiates your taking for your injuries somehow make you any less sober than the day before you were hit by a car and were put in an ambulance?

It is a rather extreme example, but I use it to make the point clear. Sobriety is about far more than using or not using, although of course that does count for a lot - particularly early in the process. But what I'm really highlighting is, you are being prescribed opioids in that scenario for legitimate medical reasons and, hypothetically at least (as the vast majority of people stuck in the hospital for majors injuries do) using them as prescribed. So what about taking methadone, another legitimate form of medical intervention, taken as prescribed?

They me be clearer: That is fucking bullshit. You're taking a medication as prescribed as part of a treatment that is over 10 times as effective as the standard abstinence only approach (including abstinence only inpatient rehab). Fuck the haters, they are just ignorant of modern medical science (which is sad, because this has been well known about methadone treatment for the last 30+ years).

Where are these people who belittle your chosen avenue in recovery from? Just people you know, or part of some twelve step community, or from somewhere else. I wish people like that would pull their heads out of the sand and simply compliment people such as yourself and myself who are finding and have found lasting success with MAT, but no. They gotta put MAT down to make themselves feel better about how they did thing - or perhaps they truly are just well meaning ignorant individuals?

Sorry, I get a little heated about this kind of small minded bullshit sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Confused! I'm with TPD on this... what constitutes being clean is not (or at least it doesn't need to be) as cut and dried as mainstream recovery groups in the US tend to paint it. The end goal is for you to get back on track and improve your quality of life, right? Those are both very subjective goals, and so I think it's reasonable to expect that the path that will lead you there is also going to involve some subjectivity.

As I see it, the crucial question is whether you're abstaining from harmful behavior. And in that respect, it sounds like you're totally killing it! Hold your head up and be super fucking proud, man. You're doing great.

As I see it, the crucial question is whether you're abstaining from harmful behavior. And in that respect, it sounds like you're totally killing it! Hold your head up and be super fucking proud, man. You're doing great.

VERY FUCKING well said =D