• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

MEthadone and Tramadol

Gaz_hmmmm

Bluelighter
Originally Posted by negrogesic:
Also, do not take methadone with tramadol.

Anyone know the reason why this is?

I'm on MMT and the doc' that prescribes me my methadone gave me tramadol for me getting jumped last friday.

I think I rememberhear/reading that tramadol's an agonist/antagonist?:\

Could be serotonin syndrome fears.... I don't know though

Tramadol's metabolites are opioid agonists, a partial agonist, of about the same strength as morphine (~50%).

For some reason, the PDR and other sources have implied that Tramadol has antagonistic properties in the past. This is absolutely false as we all know. Because it only bonds weakly to certain opiate receptors in the brain, it's
possible that Tramadol will not be strong enough to ward off withdrawal in addicted people who have no other opiates. It will not, however, precipitate
withdrawal.

Actually, I just looked up the prescribing data, and there is no mention of antagonistic effects. Just mentions binding of the parent and M1 metabolite to opiod receptors and weak inhibition of the reuptake of norephinephrine and serotonin.

Cool, so Opioid and SNRI!

I remember in a thread of mine someone saying it's best to take codeine before methadone, as this will cause enzymes in the liver to mess about with the codeine first, living the methadone along for longer, which is better, as it makes ones self higher (For longer?).

Is this true of tramadol and if so, how much should I take?

There are countless threads for tramadol, for someone with 2.5k+ posts it should be known better.

Tramadolis the only so-called opiod to which I am allergic. I could not take those bastards, or I get serotonin sydrome like state; like having seizure...