• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Methadone and Cimetidine Question

Keif' Richards

Moderator: BDD, OD
Staff member
Hey BL people, I've been pondering this question for a while but haven't really been able to answer it myself. If this is better suited for elsewhere, feel free to change it over.

I'm on MMT, 120mgs daily and use Cimetidine (Tagamet) regularly (30-45 minutes before I consume my dose). As I use it so frequently, I find it hard to judge subjectively the impact that it actually has, although I do notice a slight difference in potency. My question is this: Does Cimetidine produce longer lasting effects with a more gradual onset, or does it increase both the duration of effects and how hard it hits initially? I've read conflicting reports on the subject all over and thusly have not come up with a concise answer. Anyone have anything?

i too am on methadone maintenance and not to change your thread topic or move off topic just curios what cimetidine is?

i too am on methadone maintenance and not to change your thread topic or move off topic just curios what cimetidine is?
Cimetidine is the generic name for Tagamet (which previously was prescription only for ulcers/stomach distress) People use it before dosing to potentiate it's effects and from my understanding helps it to last longer. Not sure about the onset OP, but you could try taking it 90 minutes to two hours beforehand and see if it makes a difference.

It takes 30mins to an hour for cimetidine to start inhibiting the relevant liver enzymes. You need to take like 800mgs for them to really have a noticeable effect for the opioid experience. One pill doesn't cut it.

does anyone know the negative effects that sounds like alot of mg's
yeah you don't want to take tagamet daily for months at a time. It can cause men to develop breasts. I think because it somehow increases estrogen. You want to use it very rarely.