• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Relapse Meth: Am I severely ill or are these extreme headaches normal?

Icequeenashley

Greenlighter
Hello, there.
I have been an avid reader of this site for some time now but I come to a dead end with information I'm looking for. I recently relapsed on meth some weeks ago having been an every day user for a year and a half. I was sober for half a year. Only recently had I began feeling these extremely awful headaches whenever I am sober or halfway into a high. My method of use is insufflation and always has been but I began parachuting in hopes I don't cause even more damage to my nasal lining/experience headaches. Although I am helping my nose, the change in administration doesn't get rid of these headaches. And I don't enjoy any other method, unfortunately.

Having said that, the subject I want to touch on is headaches. I feel as though they happen because of withdrawals. But I still do fear something worse. They are painful and sometimes I feel a tickling sensation in my head. As well as hot and cold flashes but only on specific areas. The pain often changes from one spot to another after I redose then comedown. I also hear crackling inside my head on some occasions similar to the sound of Velcro. It kind of scares me because I suffer from severe anxiety which may be the source of some of these symptoms.
But I never have experienced this until this relapse. I want to go to the doctors but they guilt me every time. I have had heart issues but I don't remember having my head checked so I will go. But until then I just want answers or some reassurance. Because I can't quit or stay sober long enough to know if the pain subsides.

Are these symptoms regular? Is it still safe to continue using normally or should I try to stop all together until I get checked out? Is it okay that I use pain meds while using ice (specifically advil and 600g ibropurfin)? Please note that I only stay sober for up to a day so the symptoms last that long. Including body pains and aches. Thank you.

Could it be dangerous?

Dehydration causes your brain to lose volume. The brain actually shrinks a little, and causes tension - pulling away from it's lining. The resulting headache doesn't exactly tickle lol.
I'm not sure what is causing your head aches, but it's simple to start drinking lots of water. Most headaches are the result of dehydration.

In any case, daily meth use isn't going to end well for you. You know what you need to do.

It can be dangerous, but I think it's probably best to relax, drink lots of water, get a meal in and get some sleep. These things normally help the most.

Hi. I'm very familiar with headaches. I have chronic cluster headaches, they are very severe.

Mine started when I was snorting Coke - theyre not from snorting coke, they just happened while I was snorting coke. I also thought it was from that. I figured I irritated the mucous membranes, and had the world's worst sinus infection.

They continued after I stopped using Coke. And affected my ability to function, as they happen many times a day. I went to a neurologist.

Try what other posters mentioned- i.e. drinking enough water, sleep, eat, etc. If that doesn't work, go to a Dr, and get checked out. Be safe and speak to a health professional.

Headaches suck. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you get it sorted out and feel better soon. ?

Headaches are not a very common side effect of methamphetamine use, but the speed is probably not helping them and is also probably making you mentally dwell on the problem. Taking ibuprofen is fine with meth, and can actually lower your body temperature to more healthy levels.

Your thread stood out to me, because I've also been getting awful headaches ever since I got clean, almost daily. I've been trying to figure out why, and I've been beginning to believe it was from anxiety. My dentist told me that I'm wearing down my teeth due to 'grinding', and I was totally unaware, and once I started paying attention, I noticed that I clench my jaw/teeth pretty often, which obviously tightens the muscles in your head, and those muscles are where I feel the headaches. I didn't get headaches at all when I was using, but I also didn't feel anywhere near the anxiety I have while sober. I feel like it's the anxiety that causes me to clench.

I have also heard that meth users grind their teeth, so I'm wondering if you do, and if that's contributing to your headaches. Although I thankfully have no experience with meth, I have been snorting heroin for many years, and I never even thought that I might have caused damage to my head that might cause these headaches. I've also been an avid reader of this site, and I haven't read or heard about anyone else getting headaches, so I didn't think it was from the drugs or the withdrawal, and thought it was just me, but your post is making me think otherwise, even though we have a different drug of choice.

Like you, I'm hoping that others can share their experience with these headaches.

I really hope that you find the cause, and are able to find some relief, Ashley.

Just to be safe don't use Ibuprofen or Advil. I've read that high doses of meth can cause internal bleeding in your brain. Ibuprofen is a no no. Years ago after a concussion, I was told Tylenol (acetaminophen) only. After binging for days, sometimes I'd get a headache. It went away after I slept and ate.