• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Mental and Physical health post addiction

Simpete

Greenlighter
Would anyone like to share their experiences of their mental and physical health post drug addiction. I'm clean for the first time in 18 years and its been a struggle. Would apreciated feedback on how others are doing or what they went thru.

I have struggled with finding ways to safely manage my mental health in ways that don't damage my physical wellbeing. Mindfulness based stress reduction type practices have been something I have benefited from incredibly. Something I've also made a priority has been finding a supportive environments in which to live, work and socialize, which really makes a difference (truth be told I still have a long way to go on many of these fronts, even if I have made a lot of progress from the days where my daily life revolved around using opioids).

In particular, my struggles in recovery have revolved around discovering my own sense of authenticity, (re)claiming my own voice, cultivating meaningful relationships and really exploring what it means to live life as an adult, but of course it all boils down to specifics.

Are there any dimensions of life/recovery you are interested in hearing more about? What aspects of your life have you been having a hard time approaching or struggling to manage in since you started tidying up your life?