• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Melatonin High. True or Myth?

JadedTabs

Bluelighter
Before taking the melatonin, I want to make sure if there is any "euphoria" or "high". I know it is a sleeping pill I have taken it before. I know taking too many sleeping pills can be really dangerous so I want to make sure that there is a high. How many mg do I take if there is a "high" or "euphoria"?

There is no high from melatonin. Its not really a sleeping pill using the definition you are thinking of. Just a nifty thing your body uses to induce sleep.

Horribly over simplified, when its dark, your body produces melatonin. This in turn helps induce sleep. I didnt double chedk that info so feel feel to correct me anyone.

Melatonin is a hormone, and hormones are basically signaling molecules. This too is a gross oversimplification, but it basically signals to your body that it's time for you to go to sleep. This makes it actually useful for helping someone reset their natural circadian rhythm, as opposed to just inducing sleep like a hypnotic. I've never felt any sort of high or even buzz when taking it.

All it ever did to me was giving me a really bad headache the day after taking it, didn't even help me sleep
As Slow_Mobius said, it's a hormone and you won't get high off of it

All it ever did to me was giving me a really bad headache the day after taking it, didn't even help me sleep
As Slow_Mobius said, it's a hormone and you won't get high off of it

I had the same experience.

I know that it works wonders for some people though, so it's certainly worth trying--especially if someone is just trying to reset their circadian clock (ie jet lag or too many nights of partying)

^That's interesting. My doctor told me she never heard of such a reaction to it before.

^That's interesting. My doctor told me she never heard of such a reaction to it before.

I've had bad reactions to almost every OTC sleep aid. IDK if you've ever tried doxylamine (unisom sleep tabs), but it gave me a throbbing headache for literally a week. For some reason ever sleep aid I try, except ambien, leaves me feeling worse the next day than when I don't sleep lol. But I just googled melatonin side effects and headache was the first thing to come up

Sorry, Melatonin won't get you high.

It might give you some pretty cool dreams, though.

I've had bad reactions to almost every OTC sleep aid. IDK if you've ever tried doxylamine (unisom sleep tabs), but it gave me a throbbing headache for literally a week. For some reason ever sleep aid I try, except ambien, leaves me feeling worse the next day than when I don't sleep lol. But I just googled melatonin side effects and headache was the first thing to come up

She told me she couldn't find headache listed in the package insert, or in the Net Lol
I didn't try doxylamine in particular, but other antihistamines, didn't like them
But back on topic :D

Read about taking to high of a dose, you may decide it's not worth fucking with at all.

From my understanding all you really need is like .5 mg. No need for all these crazy mega doses. I have used it on and off after strings of strenuous studying, if I fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking it I wake up feeling well rested in about 6 hours. If I stay awake through the first 30-60 minutes I find it difficult to sleep. This could be because it doesn't actually do much of anything at all and it's all in my head, or for some other reason.

I know that the body starts to produce melatonin with the decrease of light, and my apartment always has lights/screens on and this could also mess with stuff. My experience says it won't hurt you. I also don't recall any "high" or "euphoria" from taking it ever. Max I ever took was 5mg min .5mg and I never noticed much of a difference.

From my understanding all you really need is like .5 mg. No need for all these crazy mega doses. I have used it on and off after strings of strenuous studying, if I fall asleep within 30 minutes of taking it I wake up feeling well rested in about 6 hours. If I stay awake through the first 30-60 minutes I find it difficult to sleep. This could be because it doesn't actually do much of anything at all and it's all in my head, or for some other reason.

I know that the body starts to produce melatonin with the decrease of light, and my apartment always has lights/screens on and this could also mess with stuff. My experience says it won't hurt you. I also don't recall any "high" or "euphoria" from taking it ever. Max I ever took was 5mg min .5mg and I never noticed much of a difference.

This. You definately don't need high doses of melatonin. I usually take 3mg and it knocks me out. I made the mistake and purchased 10mg pills and was taking those for a few days and couldn't figure out why I was feeling like shot. Turns out, melatonin in higher doses can cause nasty headaches. I promptly cut those polls in quarters and was feeling much better.

The conensus seems to be that a high dose will give you a headache--an unpleasant response for someone that's looking for a buzz

Melatonin makes my sleeplesness worse, not sure why.

I find no positive effects in it.
Altough it can enhace your dream recalling ability, it gives you no kind of high. Once take 10mgs, but nothing happend.
And it has a very annoying counter effect to me: waking up becomes very difficult.