• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Medium-Term Chronic Hives

SunriseChampion

Bluelighter
About 6 weeks ago, I started developing a rash on the back of my leg that at first appeared to be a mix between exczema and herpes. Or maybe a fungal infection.
This developed over two weeks into something that resembled a chemical burn.....or, contact dermatitis, likely from contact with a plant (I hike barefoot late into the year...grounding is your friend).
Anyway, it didn't really itch and was just an irritant because it kept pussing. So I saw my GP and they prescribed me mometasone, which is a corticosteroid. I had used hydrocortisone before without issue and don't have any allergies that I know of, to meds or otherwise.
About 24 hours after first application of the mometasone cream, I woke up in the night with itchy skin and miniscule hives along one side of my torso.
This seemed to be correlated with the steroid use so as the itchiness got worse over the next two days I decided to discontinue use as the rash was well improved.ves
3 weeks later, I still have itchy skin and minscule hives/red patches. They vary in intensity and move around my torso, legs, and arms.
The intensity went down for the week after I discontinued use of the mometasone but two days ago flared up significantly again.

Does anyone have any experience with chronic hives or allergic reaction to corticosteroids?

I'm mostly wondering how long I'm in this for and if regular use of anti-histamines can make the problem go away completely.

Cheers.

Did they do a biopsy to see if it is any form of psoriasis? Also did they do any sort of skin allergy test? Have you eaten anything that could cause an allergic reaction?
My experience with anti-histamines is that they treat symptoms, but don't cure anything, but I am not a dermatologist.

Last edited:
So I saw my GP and they prescribed me mometasone.
Not to be terse or dismissive here but I would suggest going back to this GP and present this outcome to them.
I get that this post is generally asking if anyone else has had this issue but we cannot play doctor and give you the answer to an unknown - to you and the rest of us - issue that is described.
I'm mostly wondering how long I'm in this for and if regular use of anti-histamines can make the problem go away completely.
:shrug:
Best to you and yours.
J

I have seen many videos on Canada's medical system. Seeing a doctor can take a while and then very little time or effort is put in. He is from Toronto.

Did they do a biopsy to see if it is any form of psoriasis? Also did they do any sort of skin allergy test? Have you eaten anything that could cause an allergic reaction?
My experience with anti-histamines is that they treat symptoms, but don't cure anything, but I am not a dermatologist.
The only new thing in my diet in this time frame would be sheep milk kefir. But symptoms persist for days after last imbibing.
They didn't do any tests.

Not to be terse or dismissive here but I would suggest going back to this GP and present this outcome to them.
Yeah, I'll be doing that, but it's almost a waste of time. See @Jnowhere post.

I get that this post is generally asking if anyone else has had this issue but we cannot play doctor and give you the answer to an unknown - to you and the rest of us - issue that is described.
Fair enough. Just wanted to see if anyone may have had experience with something similar. Just to give me an idea on what questions to ask my doctor when I see her in case it may be caused by something I haven't thought of, for example.

:shrug:
Best to you and yours.
J
Thanks mate! :D

The only new thing in my diet in this time frame would be sheep milk kefir. But symptoms persist for days after last imbibing.
They didn't do any tests.
No tests? I spent years on Medicaid( American government free insurance for the poor) and was treated better. No blood work? Sheep's milk kefir was given great reviews and health benefits, according to internet sites. I mixed up complaints from the UK on their medical system. But I heard ER visit can have you waiting a while in Canada.

I think a lot of covid hospitalization numbers were from that. People going in because they were in fear from being somewhat sick and the hospitals would test them for covid then obviously sell them services they didn't actually need