• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA & Tonsillitis

Cz_x

Bluelighter
Was just wondering if this occurs to anyone else, whenever I take MDMA I seem to be really prone to getting tonsillitis (or it's directly causing it?). It gets to the point where it's so bad I can't even swallow and sit there unable to leave the house because I'm so food/drink deprived. Normally always ends up with me going to the doctors and getting antibiotics for it. It's happened 3/4 times now and it's utterly disgusting, the symptoms always come up around 2-3 days after taking MDMA and normally stick around for a full week. It's so awkward/painful to swallow I normally just end up using a bucket as oppose to swallowing. It's kind of put me off doing MDMA.

Last time I did it I made sure i kept hydrated the entire night, just wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent it or am I just going to have to accept it as it's likely to happen again and just deal with it. :?

How are you dosing? If your snorting your mdma you can definetly irritate the whole cavity.

I'm in exactly the same position now that you were in.
I think it mine was caused by jaw clenching but as well as jaw clenching I do this weird thing where I pull my cheeks, tonsils and tongue to the back of my mouth really quickly making a clicking noise sucking in air which I imagine has exposed my tonsils to bacteria etc which has caused tonsillitis, I googled about it and people have said keeping their mouths occupied during rolling has prevented it such as using a pacifier, chewy sweets etc

Yeah indeed, it's something I also experience, though only when I roll at festivals, raves or other physically exhausting events. I think this has to do with the physical exhaustion those events are known for and with the abundance of people.

This is just a theory of mine, probably wrong but I can think of no other reason: it's known that MDMA lowers your immune-response a LOT (see below). I think the bacteria that cause streptococcal pharyngitis (strep throat, tonsillitis) are easily transmitted when you are among lots of people and that they are very prevalent too but pretty harmless if your immune system is running at 100%. So they only get a chance to multiply because of your tremendously lowered immune-response and so you get strep throat. I for one never get it outside of festivals I have consumed MDMA at. If I roll at home I don't get it and if I roll at an event I get it every time. Don't know how it is for others...

Conclusion from Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, ‘Ecstasy’): a stressor on the immune system by Thomas J Connor - immunology, april 2004
Research conducted over the last number of years has clearly demonstrated that the administration of MDMA to both animals and humans has profound immunosuppressive effects, a property that it shares with other drugs of abuse.1–6 For the most part, the immunosuppressive effects of MDMA are not attributed to a direct action of the drug on immune cells, but rather to the release of endogenous immunomodulatory substances, and it is suggested that exposure to MDMA could be regarded as a ‘chemical stressor’ on the immune system.

Last edited:
I took MDMA (around 300mg I'd say) around a month ago. A few days later I got mild tonsillitis with a really bad fever and could barely swallow. The horrible symptoms that made me feel out of sorts lasted around 3 days and the whole thing about a week. I too thought it was the fact your immune system lowers and when you're around people and sharing water/fags/whatever else you're more prone to catching something. Glad I'm not the only one though! None of the others that took it with me got it, including my boyfriend... I guess it is one of the risks you take when you take something like MDMA. :)

Yup, I've had chronic tonsillitis (my left tonsil hasn't been average sized in three years) and I get an infection like, 2-4 times a year. Very painful, very obnoxious, and almost always after I roll. I thought I was alone :\

Strange.. I used to get tonsillitis as a child all the time then I had one really bad case and haven't gotten it in like 12 years.. i almost had my tonsils removed but nope. Now I get sore sinuses.. occasionally the post nasal area gets sore but never the throat anymore.