• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA + Poppers (Amyl/Butyl Nitrites) safe?

spaceman99

Greenlighter
When high on MDMA I usually inhale poppers throughout the night to occasionally enhance the high for a minute. Was wondering if anyone had any information about safety aspects of poppers and what harm they can cause if used quite a lot in a night.
Are they a safe combo with MDMA?
Is there any proof that they can cause brain damage, or are poppers one of the safest forms of drug abuse around? (I read that somewhere).
I know they cause nasty headaches, but is there anything else to watch out for?

Have heard people inhale Vicks whilst high, does this have a similar effect as poppers? What's the difference? Does any Vicks work?

All comments/stories/facts/opinions welcome...

They're probably not the best thing to do, as they release a lot of oxidative products, and you're antioxidant systems are allready stressed out on E. However they're not really that bad.

No, they are in no way released to vicks. The vicks thing is just because some people find that the menthol smell feels very strange when they are rolling.

I wouldn't do amyl all the time either, because they are solvents, and probably not that good for you in that regards.

Ranges from $20 fopr cheap to $50-70 here for a small vial, depending on the quality. The $20 seems to cause ALOT of headaches, but maybe thats Amyl.

I tried MDMA with poppers....once. I'll never forget it as long as I live.

I was on the dance floor with my dance partner and we both took a hit. The ecstasy and bliss slowly started to build until I it peaked so intensely that for perhaps thirty seconds I ceased to exist as a person and was lost in a sea of euphoria and pleasure so immense and profound that no words can ever describe it.

It was so supernatural and overpowering that I had no control. I don't even remember what happened to me physically during that time, although I do know that I managed to stay standing while I clutched onto my partner and groaned.

I can be a bit puritanical, and somehow in my mind I came to the conclusion that something so otherworldly and blissful must somehow be causing a world of damage and hurt to my physical brain, so I've never tried it again since.

Now I'm almost scared to try it again for fear it won't be as good as I remembered. I've used MDMA for almost three years, but I remember thinking in that moment that I finally "got" what the drug was all about. I've never had any euphoria or good feelings come anywhere close to that from MDMA.

My husband and I use them regularly with and without E. As far as I can tell from researching, poppers are not dangerous unless (like anything else) you use too much. You can get headaches and once I even had a vision problem (a spot that was overbright in my center vision) after I had way too much while on E. But it got better and went away with no permanent damage.

As far as I know, Amyl nitrate is illegal in the USA but Isobutyl nitrate is not. There was a period where all poppers were illegal in the states but I believe the law has changed and the iso variants are legal in some or most states. Check your local laws before you break them out visibly in a club. You can probably find them at most sex shops (especially in gay areas) legal or no.

One of the best uses for poppers with E is if you have to go out in the cold (like to cross to the bathroom or another dance floor) and you don't want it to kill your roll. The flush from the poppers can keep you warm for a minute or two, even in the snow.

They're also quite good if you're not getting any reaction and you want to try and kickstart it rather than take another pill, it often works.

Oh, I almost forgot. QUALITY MATTERS! If you're not familliar with poppers, they come in a variety of "scents". I find the stronger and sweeter scents (typically RUSH and similar) lead to headaches and feeling crap more easily. The ones that smell almost like nothing (Hardware and Quicksilver and similar) tend to hit stronger and cleaner with less aftermath.

After a bit more research on that 'All about poppers' site, have found the following paper very useful for explaining what poppers actually do.
PDF in a Zip
http://www.allaboutpoppers.com/evidence/isobutylnitrite.zip

From reading this, it seems that the only oxidation that occurs is when the Nitrite Ion oxidises hemoglobin to methemoglobin which essentially can result in your blood not being able to transport enough oxygen to your brain. However, this is only the case at levels in excess of 50% oxidation. A study of employees where they bottle this stuff and there were significant amounts floating around in the air showed that it caused a maximum of 8% (average of 5 percent) in workers exposed for 8 hours a day (might be an interesting place to work :D ). Effects were not cumulative. So no significant toxicology. The Nitrites inhaled are insignificant compared to the amount of nitrites which would be absorbed through consuming food and water!
The stuff has been used medically for over 100 years, and not one death has been associated with it. Seems like it's pretty safe.

Suggest reading the whole thing. Quite interesting.

I find using it without E isn't very pleasant, makes your head pound for a bit, not very interesting. With E, it's amazing, no unpleasent head pounding. For anyone who hasn't tried it, definately recommend it (the stuff is legal here!). Don't like inhaling too much though, just a quick sniff is enough.

No, nitrous and nitrites are completely and absolutely different.

For awhile in the 80s it was thought there was a link between poppers and AIDS. It was proven false, however studies have shown that poppers do depress your immune system functions a bit for as much as a couple days after. So if you've got a cold coming on or it's flu season and you're going to be in a crowd, you might want to avoid it.

Ok I just found a website claiming to sell amyl nitrate to the USA as video head cleaner. They have tons of different products with different chemicals. I even saw the HARDWARE and QUICKSILVER brand mentioned above. Would this be safe to buy online??I live in the USA. Or should I just forget about it and go get some nitrous