• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana compound could be used to treat psychosis in young people

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
A compound found in marijuana could soon be tested on young Australians to prevent and treat psychosis after European research suggested it could treat schizophrenia with fewer side effects than other drugs.

As state and federal governments face increasing calls for the legalisation of medicinal cannabis, leading psychiatrist and mental health advocate Patrick McGorry said one part of the drug was showing promise as an anti-psychotic medicine.

The director of Orygen Youth Health Research Centre said while tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in cannabis was widely thought to be dangerous and increase the risk of psychosis in about 10 per cent to 20 per cent of people, another component - cannabidiol (CBD) - appeared to relieve psychosis, depression and anxiety.

He said his team was hoping to trial pharmaceutical CBD in young people showing signs of early psychosis to see how it compared to other antipsychotic medications, which often cause undesirable side effects.

"There's been a lot more concern in recent times about antipsychotic medication. Obviously it's really effective, but the longer term side effects are worrying people, especially weight gain and metabolic problems, so the ethical climate has changed a bit," Professor McGorry said.

"People are willing to try more experimental treatments that have got some promise and cannabidiol is definitely one of those."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/heal...ung-people-20140826-108p12.html#ixzz3BVi9ojte

Interesting, hope it works out, because the current batch of antipsychotics are nasty stuff.

Weed psychosis is very real ... My neighbour started smoking amazing quality nuggets at age 26 with no prior experience after about two weeks of regular use (with me) he totally snapped nearly killed himself with massive horizontal slashes on his wrists somehow survives and then he's in a mental ward for a few weeks. where they gave him serequal*(sp?)

That Hydro was ridiculous though ... It was pure afghani totally indica we blazed. Without the weed there's no doubt in my mind he wouldn't have done it.

He's now happily married two years later ... And stays right away from nuggage.

nooo way, I smoked too much and got very intense psychosis that needed intensive help in hospital and then when I got out too. Please don't suggest weed as a tool to help it, even if it wasn't caused by weed smoking it can make it worse.

Thankfully this article does not suggest the use of THC for those with underlying mental health conditions.

CBD on the other hand has been shown to be useful as a medicine to combat certain psychiatric disorders.

Makes sense when you look at the role in plays in creating a quality strain with the medicinal aspects in mind compared to the actual recreational value.

Last edited: