• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

JoeTheStoner

Bluelighter
latest from david cronenberg

screenwriter says "Contrary to critics’ easy characterisation, it doesn’t have a satirical bone in its elegiac, messy, hysterical body. I’ve given you the lay of the land as I see it, saw it, and lived it. Maps is the saga of a doomed actress, haunted by the spectre of her legendary mother; of a child star ruined by early celebrity, fallen prey to addiction and the hallucination of phantoms; of the mutilation, both real and metaphorical, sometimes caused by fame and its attendants – riches, shame and nightmare. I see our movie as a ghost play, not a satire."

at times haunting, hilarious, while always being twisted. i like. recommended.

just love mia wasikowska as this skitzo pyromaniac.

trailer

While he hasn't made a truly great film since Spider, in my opinion, I haven't given up on him yet. I no longer watch trailers, due to their tendency to spoil films, but I'll definitely be checking this out when it's released. Cronenberg has a flair for the sexually demented: Videodrome, Naked Lunch & Crash are among my favourite "disturbing" films of all time.

Videodrome, with James Woods, doesn't get the attention it deserves. I kind of feel like he rebooted the film with eXistenZ, later in his career. The "original" is better. If you haven't seen it, and you like Cronenberg, check it out. Highly recommended.

agree with ya on all points. i assume you didn't enjoy "cosmopolis" as much as i did ? i would say they fit together in a way similar to as you mention videodrome/eXistenZ (seen both numerous times, eXistenZ could be, depending on the day, my favorite)

don't think he will return to anything like his earlier "disturbing" films but still enjoy what he put out after "spider". still do have this psychological aspect but just not as... dark/disturbing, well could be viewed just as, but in a different way in the current world/culture we live in.

not "given up on him" but i remember i read "as she climbed across the table" when it was announced cronenberg would be filming an adaption. the novel has that "un-adaptable" label like "cosmopolis" did as well.

And if it does, it’s a promising match: The novel about a love triangle involving a sociologist, a particle physicist, and a miniature, sentient black hole known as Lack would be the first sci-fi story Cronenberg has tackled since 1999’s eXistenZ, which would definitely be cause for celebration.

one can hope =)

I was actually so disappointed by A Dangerous Method and Eastern Promises, that I didn't even watch Cosmopolis... then, I totally forgot about it. Now I have something to watch tomorrow.

:)

Thanks.

The first half of Cosmopolis was almost unbelievably bad, given the talent behind it.

Robert Pattinson is a decent enough actor, but he isn't talented enough to act infinitely smarter than he is. Some relatively unintelligent actors can imitate genius and convincingly deliver highly sophisticated material without properly understanding it. Anthony Hopkins, for example, often insists that he is not particularly intelligent and that he doesn't understand the intricacies of many of the films he stars in. You'd never guess it, though. Because he's an extraordinary actor. It's not just the accent, or the beard, or the fact that both of his eyes point in the same direction (unlike the semi-retarded looking Pattinson). He establishes himself as a believable genius, by delivering sophisticated/intellectual material as if he understands it.

Water for Elephants was a decent film, despite the fact that Pattinson was cast as a doctor. The casting severely detracted from my enjoyment of the film, but I managed to suspend disbelief and get to the ending credits. He was about as convincing as a doctor, as he would have been an elephant IMO. Which, again, is not to say that he's a bad actor. He's just getting miscast into intellectual roles.

In the case of Cosmopolis, he's supposed to be a genius. Yet his delivery of the film's dialogue (which, although extremely inconsistent, certainly had it's moments) fluctuates between passable and downright laughable. It is very clear, at times, that he doesn't understand what he's saying. And Cronenberg almost gets away with this, by having practically the entire cast follow suit and deliver their dialogue in a wooden robotic fashion. But, the result is boring. It's like watching a poorly-constructed tongue-in-check lecture on the pitfalls of capitalism, delivered by a bunch of sedated Hollywood morons.

Torval, Packer's head of security, stands out as one of the only actors in the first half of the film that is human. And you might argue that's the point. That Packer and, to a certain extent, his associates, have distanced themselves from humanity so much that they've become inhuman emotionless robots. Incapable of having a connection with another person. Incapable of feeling. Etc. Which is a fair enough point to make and a valid criticism of the folks who live in ivory towers, I guess. But, practically speaking, as an audience member, I don't want to watch a bunch of robots emotionlessly lecture each other about their superficial and severely limited perspective of the world.

I couldn't help thinking of American Psycho, and Bret Easton Ellis in general. I've not read the novel that Cosmopolis was adapted from, but I imagine that it is far superior to the botched-nightmare that is the film. American Psycho could have gone the same way. Ellis is fucking difficult to adapt onto screen successfully. Although Bale's performance ranged from subtle to the opposite of subtle, it required serious acting chops to pull it off. During the quiet, repressed moments of Psycho Bale shines through. Even though the characters are often wooden, bordering on robotic, they are (subtly) sophisticated. There is something else going on.

Pattinson's character in Cosmopolis, Eric Packer, looks and acts like a bored unintelligent robot throughout practically the entire film.

Before I got to the second half of the film, I was honestly convinced that you'd tricked me into watching this atrocity just to fuck with me. Or that you were being sarcastic when you said, "i assume you didn't enjoy Cosmopolis as much as I did?" and that I'd failed to pick up on the sarcasm, mistakenly interpreting it for a serious recommendation.

Paul Giamatti steals the film, which is like stealing candy from a dead baby. (Infant fingers are quite easy to snap, even after rigor mortis kicks in.) The final act of the film isn't great, but is certainly a return to form for Cronenberg after his unfortunate departure into the dull world of mainstream shit with Viggo Mortensen.

Everything before the basketball court scene is bafflingly bad. The final act is interesting. Overall, I'd struggle to give the film more than 1 star. (Out of 5.) It is almost offensively pretentious and mind-numbingly boring. It's the sort of film that I'd expect to be produced by an artist who has lost touch with the world... and all indications are that Mr. Cronenberg, indeed, has had one too many lungfuls of smoke blown up his arse.

This is a contender for the worst Cronenberg film ever made. If I don't like "Maps to the Stars", I'm giving up on all his future endeavours. I'm already wary, since Pattinson is in the principal cast. God knows why people keep giving him roles. I guess the guy must be seriously talented at the art of felatio... ?

ouch. i was pretty sure you would dislike it (cosmopolis) but not hate it that much. reading the points in your post, i do definitely here where ya coming from. been awhile since i saw it, but im tempted to watch it again just to pay close attention to the dialogue.

feel kinda bad putting you through that lol, i know halfway you were probably ready to throw something at the tele ;p... well hopefully i can save you the same feeling and recommend you steer clear from "maps" tho it's light on pattinson, i'm sure the cast will annoy you just as much. maybe check it one day if you want to kill sometime just to confirm what you already know.

Don't feel bad. I actually popped a mg of Xanax before pressing play, so my infuriation was sedated. I was more baffled as to how anybody could possibly have enjoyed the first half of the film. It was like watching a train wreck if the passenger list consisted of my entire extended family. But, like I said, I enjoyed the last act quite a lot.

I dislike the vast majority of films that are produced. As I get older, this gets more exaggerated. Even though I disliked Cosmopolis, it was "different" enough to provoke a reaction from me. The fact that I got to the ending credits means I liked it more than most of the predictable garbage that is produced. At the very least, it dares to be different. It takes chances. In this case I don't think Cronenberg's experiments were particularly successful, but I still appreciate the effort (sort of). And I'm glad to see that he's making weird shit again. I haven't quite given up on him yet. The cast of "Maps to the Stars" is promising, as is the synopsis. I haven't quite given up on Cronenberg, yet. (He gets more chances than most.) I've been disappointed by so many of my favourite directors, recently. Gilliam has utterly gone to shit. (Although, I did like the premise of Zero Theorem.) Aronofsky's "Noah" was one of the worst things I've seen in recent memory. (This includes looking at my bowel movements floating in the toilet, before flushing.) And now, Cosmopolis. To quote John Hurt's character from Snowpiercer, they are shadows of their former shadows.

I've been watching John Waters films recently, because - despite the fact that his films are mostly awful - at least they are different. His films aren't pretentious and (excluding the "satires") they're not mind-numbingly predictable. I'm so fucking sick of films about cops and murder investigations and private investigators and double-crossing. I'm sick of artificially erotic sex scenes with A-list Hollywood actors carefully concealing their genitals. Recycled dick jokes. The good guy. The bad guy. Blah fucking blah.

Although I gave Cosmopolis 1 star, the vast majority of films that are produced have absolutely no value to me as film-goer and I don't get anywhere near the ending credits. The vast majority of films that are produced, therefore, deserve zero.