• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Male mental health question: TW for attempted suicide

necaisjackie

Greenlighter
My(21F) boyfriend (21M) was admitted into a psychiatric hospital this morning.

Two weeks ago, he tried to commit suicide and I had to hold him down to stop him from hurting himself. He ended up hurting me during the struggle, and he still feels ashamed and guilty.

This all started when his doctor told him to get off of his antidepressants, and he just spiraled down into rock bottom.

Ever since his attempted suicide, it feels like he's just had one crisis after another. I've had to take off of work to be on suicide watch, even though we need the money. He's kept me up till 2 AM on work nights. On my second day back at work, he called me and told me that he hurt himself. I rushed home to find him buried in blankets, crying bc he had smashed his fists against his brain thighs until there were bruises.

In the middle of all of this, our anniversary came and passed. Neither of us celebrated or even acknowledged it because of his depression and suicide attempt.

I love him so much. My heart hurts for him and I hate that I'm powerless to help him. I'm mentally exhausted and just burnt out from everything. Getting him admitted into a facility seemed like our only option while he's off medication. I've been encouraging him every day with words of affirmation and so many hugs. I took on the housework and cooking, and I'm the only one working while he goes through all of this. Even when he's mean to me or loses his temper, I don't take it personally because I've been there before and it is a terrifying thing to not be able to control overwhelming emotions and racing thoughts.

My question is, have any of you gone through this before? If so, what would you have liked for people to do to help you? Was there anything in particular that made you feel better? What kinds of things did you want to be told? I want to be there and support my boyfriend as best I can, but I have no idea what to say or do to make him feel more comfortable and safe when he's checked out from the facility.

Extra info:

We live together. We've been together for 2 years. He wasn't like this before he was taken off of medication. He also has an anxiety disorder.

Last edited:
Hi @necaisjackie and welcome to Bluelight <3

Honestly it really does sound like being admitted to a psych ward would be the very best thing for him right now. He needs to get back on meds and needs a safe place to stabilise, before he can come back home to you. I know you're doing your absolute best to keep him safe, and it sounds like you're doing an excellent job. But at the moment it sounds like he needs 24/7 professional care, until he gets stable again.

Why did the doctor tell him to get off his meds???

I've been that person before. All you can really do is be there for him, and love him until he loves himself, if that makes sense.

Sounds like you're putting a lot of effort into helping your boyfriend, and he's really lucky to have someone like you in his life. Sometimes people take their loved ones for granted, that could be something that's happening with him.

I went through absolute hell back in 2014-2015 because I stopped taking 15mg per night of mirtazapine. 15mg per night...that was all I was taking for pretty much all of 2013. Then I stopped on the advice that I was gaining weight. Well, over those 18 months of hell I went from 110kg to about 85kg. I'm now back around 105-110kg but I'm a lot more stable. I cannot imagine what I would be feeling if I were taken off my nightly 60mg dose all at once. I think it would be hell on Earth to put it mildly. I would hallucinate and see weird visual artifacts like geometric patterns when I closed my eyes, and I'd be suicidal, and angry, and obsessive about stuff that bothers/angers me.

I'm with @negrogesic here, I bet it's the withdrawal. He needs to be back on the meds pronto, or there is a good chance he could do this again, and I don't think this would end well for either of you if that happened.