Mailing illegal chemicals + busted

BongmasteR

Bluelighter
First let me say that I think this forum is great!
I have posted before about mailing certain substances before... mainly weed and the best way too send and recieve it without getting caught. I often recieve weed in the mail from places where they have much better and cheaper weed. The package always leaves from a Canadian city and arrives in a Canadian destination... it does not cross any borders. The sender (a friend of mine) always puts a DIFFERENT (not fake) return address on and is therefore at very little risk of getting caught.
Me however... the reciever is at a greater risk of getting caught. It is MY address on the package and MY name. Obviously the authorities would not have too much trouble tracking me down in they were to discover what is inside the package.
There is never more than a 1/2 ounce contained in the package.
This is my question: If the post office were to discover that a package full of weed is being mailed they would probably notify the police (or if im lucky just send it through). The police would have no problem finding me because my name and address would be on the package. What might they do in this situation and what should I do in this situation. I would first want to keep my friend (the sender) out of it cause I consider him mailing me shit to be a huge favour. What should I say in this situation and what is the worst the police can do?
Keep in mind that this is in Canada...
Thanks alot for the input...

Well, not that I would know, but the information your about to embark on is solely for informational purposes only.
First off, you shouldn't use your real home address. And if your not already, good. PO BOXes are a good thing, so use them. Especially when dealing with illegal substances, such as weed in your case.
As long as the package doesn't look suspicous, and doesn't smell, there should be no reason for the post office to look in the package. I mean think about it... if you don't give them a reason, you should be all set. The chances of them finding your 1/2oz. in a province-to-province transfer is very unlikely.
Now, what my friend does is very simple, and very smart. He has a fake ID. Now, I don't know how they do it in Canada, but in the US, you only need 2 forms of identification to open a PO BOX. He only has one fake ID, so he gave them that and it was good enough. As long as you have some form of "legit-looking" ID then you should be cool.
Now, if they do find your little package, they have to notify the police. Or, if the dudes having a bad day and he's a pot head, he'll probably just take it home. Very unlikely though. Just count on the police notifying you somehow, may it be by phone or doorstep, to question you about the illegal marijuana found in your mail box.
All you have to do is this.
Be very polite. Act like you respect them totally, and have NO IDEA of what they are about to tell you; that they discovered marijuana in your mail.
"What's this?"
"I'm sorry officer, but I know nothing about any marijuana being mailed to me. I've never recieved any kind of package like this before so I really have no idea, I don't even smoke the shit."
It's just a matter of knowing your rights and knowing how to keep your cool... Being good with words helps too-

Oh yeah, I almost forgot...
As long as there is no evidence that you had knowledge of the marijuana being mailed to you, the cops can't do anything.
If they don't possess any evidence that you were aware of the drugs, they can't charge you with possession, or intent... etc...
So, as long as you don't say anything incriminating, you should be fine.
Now, if you budy attaches a note with the dope saying "hey jon, here's the new harvest... enjoy"
then you could be in trouble
smile.gif

I don't know the specific written law on the issue, but as I'm sure you're aware, Canadian judges and juries seem to be very liberal in regards to marijuana crimes.
Furthermore, if the bill in the following article passes, you'd have little more than a fine to worry about:
http://www.norml.org/news/index.shtml#story2

Side Note: I would watch how you word your posts. You have openly admitted to a few semi-serious crimes. I think you probably could have asked the same question without directly admitting guilt. Obviously, either way, we all know why you have asked the question, but it is a little less incriminating if you don't flat out admit your actions.

BTW, I disagree with one point by vinyl groove...
If a police office arrives at your house, do NOT tell him anything aside from the fact that you do not wish to speak to him in the absence of your lawyer. Explanations, excuses, and alibies should be left to your lawyer.

Good advice Bunt Cake, always keep your mouth shut when dealing with cops, remember THEY have to prove you did something wrong, not the other way around, giving false alibies under the pressure of a police interview can often trip you up later. KEEP your mouth shut, ask for a lawyer and make THEM prove you did something, don't do it for them.

i think that you'd have trouble convincing pokice that you didn't know a package with weed in it addressed to you was coming to you, if that run-on sentance made any sense.

Thats true michael. Its pretty unlikely that a dealer (or anyone) is going to just randomly mail a generous amount of weed to someone he doesn't even know. Obviously the police are going to know whats going on.
What im after is can they do anything about it and how can I prevent them from doing anything about it.

If you live in a rental house, find out the name of the person who used to live there then get your mate to send it to your address with their name on it, then if you get caught you can judt say well it must have been some dodgy friend of the people who used to live here....
btw. only use this if they havent set up some sort of mail redirect,
hope this helps,

Lets keep in mind that this forum was designed to discuss actual legal issues not to assist in the premeditation of illegal activity. Topics seeking such advice will be closed immediately.
There are certain ways to ask questions.
Lets try to use a little common sense
smile.gif