Lying to Cops

I think i_enjoy_ecstasy was referring to his own reply. In any case, here in Australia, and I assume everywhere else too, it is illegal to lie to a cop. If they wanted to they could get you into some sort of trouble for it.

chiball66 said:
For some reason, i'm thinking that lying to the cops, if you are under suspition that is, is not exactly obstruction of justice. To my knowlege, obstruction of Justice is when you do not turn in someone who has commited a crime, if you have knowlege of it before the police/courts do. Or, if you aid this person who commited the crime in any fashion that would "hinder or prevent his apprehension." It could also be used if you do anything to stop or delay a trial, or even just fuck with the trial, such as threatening jurors, briving them, etc. I have never heard of anything coming from someone lying to the cops while they themselves are under suspicion.

And miranda rights. They do not have to be read to you, but anything you have said to the cops before getting arrested, can not be used in court if you have not been read your miranda rights prior to the things you have said.

I agree. I searched a little and it seems to me that lying (in the context cited originally) is not "obstruction". Obstruction charges seem to mainly arise in cases where a 3rd party actively interferes with the lawful investigation or arrest of another.

Having said that, it seems like I recall a Federal charge for lying to a Federal agent. Or, it is possible I have seen too many episodes of X Files.

In regards to making a false statement to the police, the law in Virginia states that in order for it to be obstruction of justice, the investigation would have to involve the crime of another person.

§ 18.2-460. Obstructing justice.
D. Any person who knowingly and willfully makes any materially false statement or representation to a law-enforcement officer who is in the course of conducting an investigation of a crime by another is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

If you still live in VA, this would most liekly be applicable in your scenario.

Ah okay. So it's not a crime if it is in the suspicion of myself.

It is in the course of an investigation. Can someone define what that means, exactly?

And say I say I do not have a pound of marijuana on me officer, to an officer while I got pulled over, and 3 other people are in the car. Would this be obstructing justice? I ask this because if I was busted, the 3 other people in the car can be charged as well, even though they were unrelated to the crime (though not in the Law's eyes).

CreativeRandom said:
It is in the course of an investigation. Can someone define what that means, exactly?

And say I say I do not have a pound of marijuana on me officer, to an officer while I got pulled over, and 3 other people are in the car. Would this be obstructing justice? I ask this because if I was busted, the 3 other people in the car can be charged as well, even though they were unrelated to the crime (though not in the Law's eyes).

In the course of an investigation means that the officer is conducting the investigation, and while doing so, comes to you for questioning, about the investigation he is conducting. =D

And that lil scenario at the end? i don't think that would be obstruction of justice....since there is no crime that could be investigated yet. At that point in time, the cops do not know there is a crime.

Sorry about this...i'm having a difficult time wording things...haha:p

Hypnotik1 said:
They dont verbally give u ur miranda rights anymore, at least not in my experince

If a cop arrests you, and plans on using anything you say in questioning you, he/she MUST read you your rights. If they aren't planning on asking you any questions relavent to the matter at hand, your rights may not be read to you. However, if you are in their custody and placed under arrest, anything they ask you without first making you aware of your right to remain silent is inadmissable in a court of law