View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD + Tramadol

Alisarin

Greenlighter
I'm going to a rave tomorrow night and I'll be bringing 125ug of LSD. My body often tenses up quite painfully on psychedelics so i was thinking of having 100-150mg of Tramadol to mellow my body out and not be so tense.

Anyone have any experience with this combo? Is it adviseable, and if so should the Tramadol be taken before, at the same time, or after the LSD?

Tramadol acts as an SNRI as well as an opioid and might cause serotonin syndrome when combined with LSD. You should just skip the tramadol

I think a small amount of a benzo would be better for tension. 0.5mg-1mg xanax, 5mg valium, 1mg klonopin. Something like that.
I am not an expert by any means and honestly don't know the negative interactions lsd and these could have.
I just think a benzo would be better than opiate for your purpose.

Unfortunately I don't have access to any benzos right now....

I did read about Tramadol and LSD possibly causing SS, but experiences seem to vary greatly about wether its a good idea or not.

If benzos are not an option, what would you recommend instead of the Tramadol? I don't wanna dull the trip but all the tension in my body really gets to me.

I'm gonna try to do some stretches, as well as supplement with some magnesium, see if that helps.

Last edited:
I found Tramadol, (taking for pain issues) dulled my trips considerably.

Would a couple of units of alcohol be viable?

Even a little alcohol always makes me have to pee every 10 minutes, not very nice to have to run to the bathroom again and again while tripping

I've had some magnesium and also brought some tiger balm, we'll see if that helps but I'm still open to suggestions!

Don't take Tramadol with LSD in any case, please. Tramadol is a very peculiar drug in itself, and extremely complex. The only substances that go well with Tramadol under my criteria are Pregabalin and Weed.

It would be best if you put a benzodiazepine under your tongue with these dose equivalents:
Diazepan 5mg or Alprazolam and Clonazepam 0.25mg
I quote these benzos because they are the most common, but you can compare the equivalences of the other benzodiazepines online. 5mg of Diazepan is the standard that you should use.

You must take the benzo 20 minutes before taking the LSD, it is a pity that you do not have access to any of them. You'll have to settle for a couple of beers.
If you ever want to eliminate that tension with an opiate I recommend you use 10mg of Oxycodone, but never, never Tramadol. Tramadol is a journey in itself and lasts an eternity, stay away.

You can also find other ways to eliminate these side effects by other ways, but right now I can not think of anything. Surely some other Bluelighter helps you.

DocLad

Last edited:
Well, actually I think that all that tension you have should not be hidden with any medication, I think they are internal charges that could vanish in an appropriate environment. What I want to say is that it is psychological material buried in your subconscious, that somehow knocks on you door to pay your attention. Psychedelics are powerful tools that can untie inner knots and shake our psyche, I think there is a deep connection between bodyload and our psychology.
I suppose you go to a Rave to enjoy music with your friends, and maybe it's not the right environment to do an introspective exercise, right?

I have had that feeling of tension many times and the way I have resolved it has been deepening my thoughts and being aware of my body. Practicing a kind of "psychodelic holistic meditation", if that makes any sense to you.

I write again because the previous post has not been very successful. I am not the right person to recommend taking medication of any kind to anyone.

I hope you have a good night.

DocLad

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have access to any benzos right now....

I did read about Tramadol and LSD possibly causing SS, but experiences seem to vary greatly about wether its a good idea or not.

If benzos are not an option, what would you recommend instead of the Tramadol? I don't wanna dull the trip but all the tension in my body really gets to me.

I'm gonna try to do some stretches, as well as supplement with some magnesium, see if that helps.

There is no variation about whether or not it is a good idea. It is a bad idea, period, absolutely do not combine LSD with Tramadol.

If you're worried about tension, lower the dose of LSD - maybe take 3/4ths the tab? Alternatively, drinking one light ale before dosing can help ease me into an LSD trip, but you definitely do not want to overdo the alcohol at all if you do go that route.

Finally, I'll just mention that active movement/dancing is a pretty good way to naturally relieve the tension that often accompanies psychedelics. You may not need anything else. Whatever you end up doing, please don't take the Tramadol and stay safe!

Thank you for your responses! I didn't take any tramadol and enjoyed the rave on just the acid, no alcohol or nothing. There was some tension but just moving around was enough to make it feel better, and i had a great night!

I'm confused. It seems well-documented that tramadol as an snri shouldn't be combined with other serotonergics, so would this not be the case with ssris as well? Yet typically people say it's ok to take lsd while on an ssri and it should lead to decreased effects. What is the difference, dose/potency? or is there any?

When I try to look it up it suggests ssris + serotonergics can cause SS so now I'm lost as I thought that was generally safe

I have found that Tramadol, as another person stated, significantly diminishes the effects of LSD. I remember, when I was using it regularly, that I had to take FAR more LSD to get the desired effects, and to be honest, aside from not wanting to be using it anymore, the primary reason for dropping Tramadol was due to this fact. But yes...after much tinkering and wanting it NOT to be true, I found that Tramadol and LSD are incompatible.

The reason why I asked in the first place was cause I had heard (from arguably pretty unreliable sources) that it was a good/safe combination, but some research into it said it was very dangerous and could cause SS.
Now i'm glad I didn't take the tramadol, and will be staying clear from this combination in the future as well

One time I was in a festival in south france and I was on tramadol 200mg LP the three day, I dropped a bunch of tryptamine and had no problem. Tryptamine arent lsd but they are still partial 5ht2a agonist. So you will not necessarely die, I dont think you will get serotonin syndrom neither. But its perhaps not good when it come to the seizure problem.

I think the warnings about this combination are overstated but it's still best to be careful. Like others I found tramadol decreased the effects of LSD for me. I did not combine them but even abstaining for 36 hours before dropping caused diminished effect but not to the extent that I couldn't enjoy the trip. I dosed everyone else (their first time) with 1 hit of LSD that was in the area of 150ug. I took 2 and felt like I'd only taken one. It was a batch I'd done several times so I know on that one particular night things weren't as out there as they should have been. I did take some tramadol at t+15 or so to help with the post-trip pain I typically get in my joints with no problems.

Tramadol is a sketchy drug even when not combining it with other things. I don't really care for it and would just assume take a proper opioid if I need something more powerful than aspirin. Tramadol doesn't play well with others and I've always considered it a substance of last resort. I only really took them when I had a heavy opioid habit and needed something to avoid withdrawal.

In the case one would like to combine an opioid with LSD, which one would be the safest?

In the case one would like to combine an opioid with LSD, which one would be the safest?

Any of the so-called classics would be fine: Opium, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Heroin, Morphine, Hydromorphone (Dilaudid), and Oxymorphone (Opana) would all be fine. Just don't go overboard attempting to chase a nod or anything because LSD will give you a push of energy and you won't feel the opioid fully. Tramadol is unique because it also acts as an SNRI which is why people warn not to mix it with L.

The pharmacological profile of Tramadol is very complex, so complex that in the hospitals before administering the doctors have to be very careful about the possible interactions with other medicines. You can search Wikipedia and see what I'm talking about.

Personally I love Tramadol, 300mg offers me a full-blown trip, but considering that the opiate effects are produced by O-DesMetilTramadol and not by Tramadol, it is possible that it is a person with many CYP2D6 hepatic enzymes, that these are the ones that they do the conversion.

I prefer 300mg of Tramadol than 30mg of Oxi, it lasts longer, it is more potent, and I definitely feel a much wider spectrum of pleasing effects.

DocLad

There is no variation about whether or not it is a good idea. It is a bad idea, period, absolutely do not combine LSD with Tramadol.

If you're worried about tension, lower the dose of LSD - maybe take 3/4ths the tab? Alternatively, drinking one light ale before dosing can help ease me into an LSD trip, but you definitely do not want to overdo the alcohol at all if you do go that route.

Finally, I'll just mention that active movement/dancing is a pretty good way to naturally relieve the tension that often accompanies psychedelics. You may not need anything else. Whatever you end up doing, please don't take the Tramadol and stay safe!

This is my solution - I trip at night so I stick on some headphones and have a bit of a dance to myself, all that tension dissolves in the activity plus the movement and music increases mood, best method of reducing anxiety without adulterating the experience.