• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

LSD - Experienced (6 months continuous)- technoshamanism~kundalini~metamorphosis~yoga

..::*::..

Greenlighter
Prior to writing this I have tried to explain the following experience to only one person in detail, and one other person in brief. My recent curiosity about the effects of Datura led me to read a number of reports on erowid.com, which then led me to read some LSD reports. It occurred to me that it would be natural, appropriate and even somewhat dutiful for me to describe the two most profound experiences I have been blessed with whilst using psychedelics to facilitate access to higher states of consciousness. I will attempt to describe these experiences with relevant detail, honesty and accuracy.

I have written a few experiences below. The first one described happened AFTER the experience I described later in this post, which occurred in September of the previous year. I know this post is long... I hope some of you have the patience to read it all!

At the age of seventeen, I became aware of and began to research the psychedelic experience, consciousness, shamanism, meditation, and philosophy relevant to such topics; deoxy.org was one of my main sources. This fanned my already burning desire to understand and experience ultimate reality and thus led me to experiment with LSD in accordance with the teachings of Timothy Leary, etc. My first experiences with LSD were with friends but, seeing my fundamentally different experiences, and fundamentally different motivation and objective, I soon began to experiment alone. The following experience occurred shortly before my eighteenth birthday.

I had read about isolation chambers and LSD experiments in environments that allow for zero external sensual stimulation (esp. no sight or sound). I had also been reading Timothy Leary's rendering of the Tibetan Book of the Dead. Before beginning the journey, I prepared a small corridor (2.5 meters x 1.5) by lying a woolen rug on the floor for sitting and placing towels on the base of the doors to prevent any light from entering. Living in the countryside, and especially at night time, the small inner-hallway was silent. I ingested two tabs of strong LSD; the exact dosage in mg was unknown. As the effects become prominent, I removed my cloths and entered the silent, pitch dark room. I lay and relaxed, remaining alert and aware of, but also detached from, the visual, mental, emotional (etc) experiences of the trip. A number of interesting events followed. Firstly, simply by allowing my body and mind to move naturally and without physical restriction or mental inhibition, I began stretching my body extensively and moving into various yogic postures. For example, at one point, I began stretching upwards and then backwards until, amidst the pitch darkness, I felt my hands reach the floor behind me (... asana). After some time I realised that I had stopped breathing, thus prompting me to exit this position. It is noteworthy to add at this point that, having grown up in a rural town, I had never done or even seen any yoga positions in my life before this night. Furthermore, from the ages 12 - 16 I invested a lot of time and energy into long distance running, which was great for some aspects of my health but also created a significant lack of flexibility in several areas (esp. joints) of my body, such as knees, ankles, hips, and lower back. In other words, I would have been totally unable to stretch into such yogic postures in my normal state of consciousness. Later I seated myself in lotus position (beforehand I struggled to even sit cross legged on the floor) and whilst meditating in this position I noticed sensations of pain in certain areas of my body, particularly those that were not flexible enough to maintain the posture. With further concentration I was able to directly perceive the thoughts and mental patterns that were obstructing energy in each precise part of my body and thus causing pain; I was then able to consciously 'push through' and relieve/clear these subtle psychological blockages. I continued with this process for some time. Eventually, while still seated in lotus position, my consciousness moved away from specific parts of my body and I began to observe my body from outside of my body. The room was in pitch darkness; this was certainly not the standard type of observation by which we experience things in 'normal' day-to-day life. I was perceiving my body not as one covered in skin etc but rather with my form being constituted of energetic lines, in a similar way that you could imagine a topographical map would present a human body against a 'backdrop' of pitch darkness. Neither my body nor my conscious perception of it remained immobile amidst the darkness, although the movement was not major and remained balanced and symmetrical. Protruding from the top of my crown chakra was an energetic, spirialling/rotating conical form extending upwards; an identical energetic, spirally/rotating conical form extend downwards from my base chakra. In this state I heard a deep, fearless/heroic (in the sense of one who has fearlessly questioned life and earnestly reached for the highest realms of reality that life afforded them) speak to me in a thoughtful, guiding, encouraging, determined and desirous tone. The question was simple yet profound, "What IS..? That is the question." This stimulus, in that state of consciousness, opened my mind to the most essential and profound question I had experienced in this life. My consciousness was opened to the degree in which I was wholly aware of and OPEN to the question, "what is reality?" My desire to receive and understand the answer was profoundly complete and clear. I vaguely remember this voice saying some other things beforehand, but I cannot remember what was said. I wondered if it was my own voice, even in an abstract sense or from a past life, or a guide who had been waiting to help me.

Eventually I exited my makeshift isolation chamber. My bodily form had changed. I was spontaneously and naturally walking with only my forefeet. My steps were uncommonly 'springy' and my posture was at a slight crouch, in the sense that my knees were slightly bent, my torso was slightly forward, and my elbows were slightly bent. My entire body appeared somewhat as if I was simultaneously tensing all of my muscles; for want of a better description, my body appeared and felt 'pumped', with energy. It was not at all extraneous however and my movements were incredibly energy-filled and efficient. I ingested some more LSD and went to the large bathroom mirror. My shoulders were pulled far back, exposing, broadening and protruding my chest forwards. My stomach was tight and pulled towards my spine and my genitals had mostly retracted. My neck was straight, with the crown of my head stretching upwards. My chin tucked towards my chest and my jaws were tight, with my teeth closed together tightly, but not uncomfortably. I would sometimes refocus my vision so that I was not exactly looking 'with' my eyes, but I was looking 'through' my eyes, as consciousness within looking through the biomechanical instruments/windows in my head. On an energetic level, I could see a wonderful, vibrant and lively blue and purple accumulation of energy extending from, through and around my head. My body appeared to have an energetic bluish hue (I am not sure if that was purely on the energetic level, or if it would have been visible to anyone). In short, I no longer appeared exactly human, yet I had never felt more myself. I was exhilarated, as if I had finally awoken and pulled off a very thick and very unpleasant blanket that had been perpetually suffocating me. I felt as if my body and mind had shifted into the optimal form that they afforded. I was not posing or making a conscious effort to maintain this form; it was natural and actually felt much more natural than ever before. {{{I would like to add that shortly after this experience, at one of the few psytrance parties I attended (Infected Mushroom @ the Gold Coast in '05), I used LSD and again changed form, albeit to a lesser extent due to the uncontrolled public environment and resultant lack of facility to journey within and awaken on the level that I had experienced previously. My sister was also at this party and, at a later date, when I attempted to explain some of these events to her, I asked her if I looked different that evening. She confirmed that I did look different, one of her comments being that I looked 'very stretched out'. She was entirely sober at the time. The reason I mention this is because I respect that many could be skeptical about what I have written and may attribute my apparent change of form to be merely imagination or hallucination.}}}

After viewing my body in the mirror, I went outside onto the ground-level verandah at the front of the house. It was a cool, moonlit night, with only a few clouds decorating the sky. I was enlivened by the night sky and went to one corner of the verandah and sat down on the cement floor. I had been trying to find a comfortable meditation posture for months beforehand and, at this point, without consideration, I sat down into an ideal sitting position; I smiled in happiness and gratitude for that gift. I stood and walked inside the garage, to be confronted by a large wasp. It hovered in front of me for a while, as if examining me; I was not afraid, but simply returned the gaze. My family's pet dog, with whom I had spent numerous hours wandering the surrounding bushland in the months and years beforehand, was peculiarly fascinated by me; not afraid, perhaps a little uncertain, but mainly fascinated. Interestingly, her head and nose were twitching and twisting to the left, something I had not seen her do before. I walked back to the corner of the verandah and stood looking towards the south-east sky. I felt an intense attractive pull in my mind-region towards the sky and, allowing this to intensify, I watched as lights flashed in a section of that region of the sky. I could hear a high pitched vibrational noise. On the psychic platform especially, I believed or perceived that I had come into contact with otherworldy entities. My sentiment was not at all fearful, rather I felt that I had finally made contact with my home, that there was another world from which I had come and from which these beings had come. I did not perceive people, or forms, or anything other than the lights and sound, but nevertheless did clearly feel their presence on a physic level. The specific message I received was, "Seeing is believing," which I immediately understood to mean that I could return and go with them but it required my full belief, or in other words, my conscious and inhibition-free decision to accept 'them' as reality and leave this world and whatever I have done and am going to do here. My response was saddening but honest, "I'm not ready yet." This brief communication was psychic. The deep sadness remained within me, but I also felt greatly pleased because I felt that I had made contact with those whom I (intuitively) recognised as relatives of mine, with whom I somehow remain connected, and by whom I have been watched and cared for from a distance. I spent the remaining hours of the night dancing, absorbed and alone (in a sense) on the lush green grass that stretched far in front of the house, under the vibrant, paradoxically colourful, night sky and the mesmerizing moon, to the musical patterns of psybient and psytrance. Playfully, I sprinted for a short distance at a speed unexperienced before, hearing and feeling the still nights air rush past my face. The following day I gave away most of my clothes and unnecessary possessions, keeping only a choice and minimal selection.

My consciousness remained elevated in this direction for some weeks, but gradually settled back into a more 'normal' state, although there were certainly some permanent changes as well. My posture remained altered for years afterwards, to a much lesser extent than immediately after I left my makeshift isolation chamber. My desire to find my life mission intensified to the extreme after this experience. I could not understand whether I had made the wrong choice and should have done something differently which would have enabled me to leave with the beings I contacted. As my rational mind gained increasing momentum in relation to the experience, I wasn't even sure whether it had simply been imagination or not; although, after five years of remembering, critically considering, and contacting supportive information, whilst still skeptical to an extent, I would not at all be surprised if there was and is a lot of truth in what I experienced that evening, and what it implies for the future. I began to read a lot more, especially about yoga, and began to plan a life of solitary performance of yoga either in India or Australia. My confusion was regarding exactly what I needed to do, and how exactly I should do it, because my heart was intensely driving me to find SOMETHING. About two months later, I actually attempted to make a further connection with the beings I apparently contacted, at which time I was prepared to leave with them, although in my heart I was not convinced that it was right to (possibly tinged with escapism) and that I really was not ready yet. A question that troubled me for some time was whether or not to continue using psychedelics on my life/spiritual quest, i.e. whether they were essential or beneficial, or not. If I was to live in solitude, and required a supply of psychedelic substances, that would be problematic. It didn't make perfect sense to me that internal transformation and enlightenment depended upon external substances. On my 18th birthday, I bought a small book about bhakti yoga in a secondhand bookstore and a short time after that, in response to an inquiry I posted on the deoxy.org blog ("Pursuance of Full-Time Consciousness Expansion" - an effort to discover others of like mind to myself, and an environment in which to learn and progress on that path), someone suggested I look into bhakti yoga. Being thus prompted, I began to read the book I had recently bought. The ontology, the process, and the results of the meditation described in this book enthused me and I immediately began to practice. A short time later, after some of my final philosophical inhibitions were cleared from within, I moved in to a bhakti yoga ashrama. At this point I had become determined to dedicate my life to the path of yoga. The impermanent effects and side-effects of psychedelics indicated to me that I needed to embrace a system of elevation that rendered permanent results, even if such results were generally achieved at a slower rate. Over the past 5 years I have continued to spend most of my time in ashramas in Australia, America, and India, which has involved hours of meditation each day, study, celibacy, fortnightly fasting, often minimal sleeping, and many related practical activities. Last year I began a BA in Religion and Philosophy, which I then deferred in order to spend time with a yoga teacher in America. Currently I live at a yoga retreat center. On several occasions I have been very very close to leaving the West permanently in order to solely engage in meditation and study in a holy village in India, Sri Vrindavan, with the intention of never returning or even maintaining contact with material relations, including familiy. However, internal and external guidance has consistently encouraged me to 'remain in the world, whilst remaining not of the world,' so much so that I cannot disregard the likely possibility that life is reciprocating with my efforts to understand my path and is in fact guiding me in this direction. Hence, I plan to continue my studies in the not-too-distant future in order to learn more about the world (or at least the popular, modern day, perception of it), with the aspiration to somehow using that knowledge and experience to help others find more in life than the mundane.

I have had one experience that by far superseded the psychedelic experience that I have tried to describe above. This superior experience occurred as a result of and in accordance with the yoga process and for me it confirmed the reality of the ancient mystical Vedic worldview (or, "life-view"), and the efficacy of the bhakti yoga process of self-realization.

In retrospect I have a few, somewhat rationalised, possible explanations for the psychedelic experience I have described. Some time after the experience I heard, for the first time, about Kundalini awakening and over the years since I have gradually read more about this phenomenon. It seems quite likely that this is what occurred in my case, and this alone may explain all of the other para-normal events during and after that evening, including the voice, the lights, the change of form, and the lasting life-changes that resulted. However, it may not properly explain all of these things, at least to not to an extent beyond the superficial. One speculation of mine is that, through the process of consciously removing the layers of obstructive thoughts and mental patterns (i.e. that were causing pain - as I have described above), I may have actually 'shed' much of the metaphysical coverings accumulated throughout my present life and thus returned, to a certain degree (the extent of which is of course unknowable), to the psycho-physical nature that I possessed in my previous life. Thus, being in this 'transgressed' state, my psychophysical form literally re-adjusted and my altered/revived psychic and psychological capacity enabled me to contact beings among whom I had lived in a previous lifetime, and perhaps even from whom I have come for a particular purpose. Some ideas regarding the voice I heard whilst in meditation include the possibility that it was a guide, or myself in a past life, or simply much more refined and powerful expression of my higher self that of course was with and remains with me always due to it being a part of me, albeit a part that I seldom experience with such clarity.

Four paragraphs below, I have written a brief description of another significant experience that occurred one year before the above experience.

The negative side effects of the above and below experiences were mostly related to confusion. As my heightened consciousness would gradually dwindle, I struggled to comprehend and integrate the concepts that had recently appeared so clear to me. Such concepts became increasingly abstract and thus crept further out of reach and, while this was not exclusively true, to the extent that it was saddening, bewildering and distressing. As a result of the above and below experiences, perhaps with the exception of a sense of compassion, I became largely indifferent to and almost entirely removed from mainstream life and society (esp. psychologically, but also physically for some time). My perspective and corresponding motive in life seemed practically incomprehensible and antithetical to the common person's. Seeing the gulf of difference between my state of consciousness and that of my friends, and perceiving (possibly correctly) their association to be a hindrance to my advancement, I gave up all of my friendships and chose to remain more-or-less alone for months. I remember times in the last months of school when, instead of talking with friends as I had done during the years before, I would simply sit alone under a tree and try to perceive and understand life on a deeper level, hardly able to communicate with others on their terms. Or, sitting at friends houses, feeling totally removed from them, disinterested in their enthusiasms, and practically unable to relate to them. After time, this kind of seclusion did become somewhat psychologically challenging. Even after this phase, whilst staying in an ashrama community I would usually keep to myself. Such reclusiveness was perhaps helpful in certain respects, but the (in my opinion) progressive step of moving beyond it and returning to a more normal social state has been rather challenging, even now. Having now seen the value of and need to remain aware, appreciative, accepting and, to a degree, a part of mainstream society, I have now tried to close this social-gap significantly and probably now appear more 'normal' than I have for several years. My sensitivity levels, which had always been high, increased significantly after these experiences, creating both positive an negative results. Lastly, the above and below psychedelic experiences, and the overwhelming desire to understand life and my purpose in it, led me to question my sanity on several occasions.

I had always felt that I was somewhat different from other people I knew and, radically accentuating the symptoms and experiences as such, these events suddenly and powerfully suggested the reality of that feeling and brought an awareness of the extent and the implications of that apparent situation to the forefront of my life... Sometimes I felt as if I had lost myself; I had given up the person that I, my friends, and my family knew, and I was no longer able to relate to anyone on the same terms as I had previously done so. At seventeen, I wanted to experience what I was reading about and 'shed my ego' - to an extent, that is what happened. I think it was clear that the new, somewhat 'uncovered', me was superior to what I had been before, but still there was some shock and challenge resulting from the sudden and significant alteration of my personality.

My background in brief: I grew up in a rural town in Australia. My childhood and upbringing was quite good, spending a lot of time in nature, and under the care of kindhearted parents. Although I did encounter some difficulty with my father for a few years as an overprotective and faultfinding streak arose in him and a rebellious streak flared in me, on the most part my relationship with my parents has always been good. In my earlier teenage years I became a promising long-distance runner, finishing well-placed in a number of events including half marathons. During these years I would often be at the top of my class academically. At sixteen, curious about 'mind altering' substances, I began experimenting with marijuana. At seventeen I experimented with MDMA, amphetamines (for a short time, after which I became thoroughly deterred by the side effects and the regular users of the substance), some other substances briefly, and LSD. Throughout this time I had been reading extensively about psychoactive substances and, especially with psychedelics, I quickly ceased 'recreational use' and instead engaged in serious and responsible pursuance of technoshamanic experiences. In some ways I regret having used drugs in the past, due to the times of confusion and concerns that the substances may have caused lasting adverse psychophysical effects. Nevertheless, I can appreciate that it was all a part of my ongoing evolution of consciousness, and I have certainly learnt a lot from it.

In September of the previous year, with the determination to venture beyond fear and other mental conditioning in order to obtain a genuine experience of a higher state of consciousness, I ingested a high dosage of clean liquid LSD and, late at night, set out alone into the eucalyptus forest of Bald Rock National Park. I soon became lost within the dense forestry, smothered by the pitch darkness of the clear but moonless night, immersed in a visual kaleidoscope of unlimited internal patterns, and well aware of the potential and somewhat severe danger that surrounded me (e.g. animals [Australia is famous for its venomous snakes and spiders], injuries, insanity, etc.). Nevertheless, I remained centered, stable and rather pleased, realising that the position in which I found myself was unpredictably and especially opportune. I had little faculty to do anything other than trust my heart, connect with my determination, and push forward through the forest of trees and fears. Eventually I arrived at the base of Bald Rock and made the final one kilometer ascent. Reaching the topmost point, my cleared mind welcomed a flow of realisation about life, myself, and the universe, with the most significant revelation rising at dawn with the sun. As sunlight spread over the surrounding mountains, forest and granite formations, I observed the trees growing on the highest point of Bald Rock. They are, of course, dependent on the sunlight for their survival and I could see that they were growing at an angle eastward, where the sun rises in the morning, thus appearing to compete with each other, desperate for their vital source of life. With powerful clarity, it occurred to me that this struggle for life is a universal reality, endured by and involving all beings, against their will and beyond their control. Appreciating the warmth of the rising sun, I remembered that the sun itself is destined to die (school science: the sun is a star which has a limited lifespan). Perplexing; life is a struggle for life, yet the sun, which we depend upon for survival, is itself subject to certain death. I became overwhelmed by this insight about the absolute futility of the struggle for life, and thus practically every activity and endeavour that most people engage in. It meant that life on Earth is already dead and it is simply a relatively miniscule portion of time that separates everyone and everything from that apparent end. This final, fear-full veil polarised something within the core of my being and, at this point, it became clear that life could not consist merely of this contradiction; there must be a higher reality to life, something beneath and beyond the superficial surface layer that constituted everything that society had taught me to that day. This is when I overwhelmingly realised that I must dedicate my life to understanding life itself and, in turn, help others to rise out of the oblivion that smothers most (to use a term Timothy Leary used) 'larval' human beings. Of course, this is not the reason I write these experiences now. My motivation for doing so is simply that I wish to share them with others who perhaps even seek and/or have experienced similarly wondrous events. In the following weeks and months, arising out of natural inspiration, I began to meditate extensively, follow a vegetarian diet, stop smoking tobacco, and stop using marijuana mindlessly; I began spending a lot more time in nature, and learning a lot from that time; I intensified my study of consciousness/philosophy/etc and, most importantly, I found myself with an overpowering desire in the core of my heart to understand the truth about life and become situated in my life mission, not in the sense that I wanted to decide which job or university course I should apply for, but in the sense that I wanted and needed to understand what my purpose is, what the specific cosmic function is that I must fulfill, and how to do so successfully. The nature and intensity of this desire implied to me that I did indeed have something that I needed to find and do.

Approximately one week after this event at Bald Rock, I drove to Lismore to meet a friend, Dragonheart. I was in a good frame of mind on the drive down and had a good week beforehand, during which I had happily and gratefully helped my parents with different household activities and spent plenty of time reading, walking, and meditating to begin digesting my recent mind opening event. At one point during the drive to Lismore (I had ingested a small [if I remember correctly] amount of LSD before leaving), I briefly perceived how I was ultimately not in control of life, my path in life, or even my bodily functions. This was seen in relation to my driving and the particular route on which I had driven and was to continue driving on. I felt how my body was acting, even when I seemed to be exerting no effort to make it do so, and I could see the path that I was destined to drive along, an image somewhat like in Donnie Darko when he could see the path that a person was about to move along before they had physically done so. All in all, the drive was very pleasant and uplifting. I arrived in Lismore a little early and went to the park where I was to meet Dragonheart. I sat under a tree and looked out over the city and evening sky. When he arrived, we spoke for some time and he gave me some capsules with a mix of cocaine and MDA (not MDMA). I had never tried either before. I suggested we listen to a CD I had been listening to on the drive down - Celtic Cross, Hicksville. As some might know, Celtic Cross mixes traditional celtic-style instrumental music with psybient and psytrance and, in the same way that many artists of that genre do, the musical buildup is quite gradual and subtle, making the music sound quite bizarre, non-psychedelic, lame or boring to the impatient, inattentive or otherwise uninterested listener. The song began with some rather unexpected (to a psy-party goer, like Dragonheart) celtic style music, probably seeming more like Riverdance than a psytrance album, and this continued for some time. As I began to suspect that there was an incompatibility between Dragonheart and Celtic Cross, I suddenly spun into a very fearful spiral of paranoid self-consicousness and social unease. I had always been shy but nevertheless rather confident, especially throughout my teenage years, and had never experienced anything nearly as socially crippling as that. Crippling is certainly the best word to describe it. I mumbled that we should listen to one of his CDs and, a little while later, I left. Swallowing one of the coke/MDA caps, I started the 3 hour drive home.

I was no longer peaceful and uplifted; I was fearful and bewildered. I felt as if a huge pressure had descended onto and into my mind. My concern moved away from the Dragonheart/Celtic Cross scene and lingered in consideration regarding what course of action I should take in the coming weeks and months. Around this time, I had some interesting thoughts regarding hair. I speculated as follows: our body is a manifestation of our thoughts, therefore our cells are smaller manifestations of our thoughts; our hair is compiled out of dead cell matter, in which consciousness has ceased to reside, possibly making it non-different from 'dead thoughts': my hair could basically and accurately be described as the dead remains of my psycho-physical past. I considered that this dead matter attached to my head was not only useless, but it may be detrimental. On a subtle level, I considered, this manifestation of "dead" psycho-physical substance may in fact somehow and to some extent maintain my connection to previous states of consciousness, at which time the "dead" psycho-physical cells (that form hair) were dynamic physical expressions of my consciousness/thoughts - this appeared to be obviously undesirable for one aspiring to achieve progressively higher states of consciousness. Further, on a practical level, if I were to spend a considerable amount of time in the wilderness (the week before, after Bald Rock, I had been very close to leaving home for the wilderness with the intention of living as a wanderer, and I continued to seriously consider this for some months after), hair would become unclean and generally create disturbance. What I did after this is a little crazy perhaps. Maybe I was losing my mind that evening, or during that whole period, and maybe even now... but maybe I wasn't, despite the lack of conformity to social norms. I concluded that 1) the pain factor, and 2) the desire for social acceptance, were the only reasons I wouldn't remove my hair so, without further ado, I began to pull it out. I had long hair at the time and continued to pull it out throughout that evening and the next day. Around midday I was sitting on the verandah outside of my room, pulling out my hair, when my parents arrived home. Seeing what I was doing, my mum said, in a somewhat firm, conclusive and proactive tone, something like, "this is going too far, something is not right..." (suggesting insanity). I replied firmly and cooly, "If everyone did this then you and everyone else would not have a problem with it, or think it is crazy." As I remember this, what I said was true and the principle (while not necessarily a good thing) applies throughout our society. Interestingly, over the years since then I have come to learn that some yogic practitioners believe that removing one's hair removes a degree of one's karma (which equates, to an extent, to what I had speculated about hair), and furthermore, as well as various other cultures, yogis would sometimes, and Jains would often, pull out their hair at the beginning of a 'new phase of life' or determined spiritual quest. Of course, I am not suggesting that it is essential or recommended for others to follow this procedure! This hair-pulling-out episode combined with the Bald Rock episode left me feeling and looking like a very different person. No pun is intended regarding Bald Rock and pulling out hair ~ 8 -D

I have always been aware that I have a certain willingness to sacrifice everything, including my life, for the highest good, which I now understand to be spiritual perfection. This mentality, I think, has facilitated an intense life on many levels and I have both enjoyed and suffered the repercussions of this. Interestingly, many people comment that I am very mellow by nature. Although I seem to be heading into an increasingly balanced and less intense approach to life, I nevertheless feel the same essential intensity in my heart that I experienced in the past, even if externally and internally I am becoming more peacefully and steadily engaged in my life work, the details of which are also gradually becoming clearer to me.

Finally, I would like to mention that I would not actually recommend the use of psychedelics in the pursuance of spiritual uplift and enlightenment. Although I did use psychedelics for this purpose, in some ways I feel as if I am still recovering from my ventures on this path. I would however recommend the potentially slow but predictably sure and steady system of yoga for self realisation.

If you have read my whole post, thank you! I look forward to reading and responding to any comments!

Last edited:
I like your quest, It reminds me much of mine.

Only thing I notice is you hold too much to your "beliefs" maybe. Let go of those and form new ones with your kundalini based knowledge without having to struggle over what to think.

Be careful in the west with kundalini, here in medical practice it's known by those who resist change and self-realization to become "back and spine problems". I support you moving to the east. This place isn't headed in a good direction.

Your body didn't change, it just attempted to transform into your full spirit form. I'm sure you know the mind and body work together.

It's defininitely fucking awesome when you figure out quantam metaphysical theory just by what you can see and you've never even heard of it before, then look it up and it turn out you just visualized existence.

i would say still use marijuana, but mindfully. A good relationship with cannabis can teach you the heavens.

THIS IS WHAT TRIPPING SHOULD BE PEOPLE!!

not all that escapism pretty colors and feelign bullshit, sure that's amazing but... THIS is what is happening to you

This is why the public is not allowed these substances. They fear that we might be able to see a level that exposes them as obsolete.

Just remember dude, we're all one, your everything, and nothing, which is wonderful :) Nothing that you experienced isn't experienced by others in varying degrees. You've stripped truth down to it's raw potential. Use it for the good of the world.

Beautiful story. Psychs-and-introspection is where it's at. I will never forget the time I arrived at the Buddhist worldview entirely through first-principles.

I agree with Colin re: holding onto your beliefs - you have to be ready to let *anything and everything* go if you seek the truth.

Very insightful, especially for someone so young (no patronisation intended).

There's no way I could have handled high doses of LSD in my teens, let alone articulate your experiences so wonderfully.

I've never heard Celtic Cross before. I'm listening to it now on Spotify. It's nice (I'm sober, with a cup of coffee).

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, I appreciate you having taken the time to read my whole post and make some comments. Colin and Raw Evil, could you please elaborate a little on your points regarding beliefs? In particular, which beliefs (esp. those which were apparent in my post) may I do well to let go or at least not embrace so blindly. I think it is definitely good advice nevertheless; I have been thinking a bit about it for a couple of days (since I read your comments) and feel like it is relevant for me and something that I need to be more conscious of. Were you making a general point or was there something specific you were referring to? Anyway, thanks, and it's nice to hear from people like yourselves who may have had similar experiences and possibly are quite like minded.

Aquascaper, check out Shulman some time if you have a chance, you might like their music (maybe you have heard some already). Definitely one of my favourites.

I think that I was and still am willing to let anything and everything go in order to discover and live the truth. I had never liked the idea of organised religion and considered that I was simply receiving my education and enlightenment from life itself, that is, through firsthand experience. However, it dawned in my mind that if I was truly willing to give up all beliefs, then I would have to be willing to give up the belief that 'I would do best not to accept certain beliefs.' And, if I was prepared to do that, and I claimed to myself that I wasn't afraid to journey to the deepest realms of reality and truth, what to speak of lesser ventures, then, I challenged myself, "Why should I be fearful about attempting to traverse the yoga system, which at least appears to be comprehensive and genuine and has apparently been successfully practiced and perfected by thousands or millions of seekers in history." Basically, I saw that, in order to attain reality, I may need to rebel against my rebellious mentality, and give up my belief that I should give up certain beliefs. It sounds a little paradoxical, but I hope you see what I mean.

All the best :}

Last edited:
It's not quite just not accepting a belief system, but eliminating the train of thought that coincides with belief in general. If you "believe" anything then you are ignoring the other sides of the equation, that in a worldly or cosmic way do exist.

When one lets go of all beliefs, and just goes forward knowing where the balance lies, without having to refer back to one's "beliefs" in order to find what is real. The truth is, which I'm sure you know, that underneath, amongst the good an evil within us, there is truly nothing to fear. Experiences teach us, and we all eventually learn the right direction, or fear ourselves and reach out later in life to religions or medicine to cover think for us.

Because nothing can be polar or absolute because it always flows into the next, it's impossible to have something to believe. There are things that you know, but what you believe doesn't exist.

For example, you believe you accepted the path of yoga and that seriously practicing yoga is going to help you. A good thought but it hinders you by that it's not yoga that is helping you. All things yoga includes are parts of you that you have just ignored so far in your life. Every thing that benefits you comes from inside you, and not by accepting a path or believing that down the line you will get some great benefit from it's practice. You're letting the yoga back into you.

Treat all things humbly and they will return the favor, and it's when two energies are the more humble that the some of the greatest truths amongst them can be revealed.

Very interesting thread starshine (..::*::..) :)

I can relate to a lot of what you experienced with lsd... my experiences with it have been really live changing as well... (though not to the degree that you changed your life)

what strikes me is how easily you are willing to give up family and friends to pursue your own happyness (or spiritual developement - but in the end every spiritual developement is worthless if it doesn't make you (or others and thereby you again) happy)

i certainly can understand to not feel at home in this world but for me finding my own way included to accept myself as part of the material world...

it kind of remembers me of what a close friend and fellow searching soul told me a while ago. he was doing kung fu and his teacher told him that if he wants to go further and really understand and learn this martial art he has to let go of everything material, including family and friends...

he made the decision to not continue with this "art" rather than letting go of the persons that mean the most to him, and i think he didn't regret it...

today we pretty much share the view that real and lasting happyness is something we can only get by honest, meaningful interaction with our suroundings - and therefore it's necessary to accept oneself as part of the whole -> accept others as part of yourself -> helping others = helping yourself :)

also i find your theory about hair very intriguing - especially as i didn't really cut mine in the last 5 years... and always said i never would cut them, but after my first lsd experience i was considering it for the first time...

also what are your feelings about love (between man and woman)? did you choose to not want this experience?

thanks for sharing your experiences with us, i wish you all the best on your further way and that you find what you are searching for :)

RainbowWarrior :),

Thank you for writing ~ even as a kid I would question myself to test the degree I felt willing to make personal sacrifice for higher good. For example, I would ask myself whether I would give up my life to save my mother, father, sister, friend, friend of a friend, a complete stranger, etc... I don't know if most people do this, I wouldn't be surprised if many do... at least the thoughtful ones. Anyway, I guess somehow I developed the mentality that I would make any sacrifice necessary for a high enough purpose. It's not that I didn't and don't love my family and friends but rather I felt that it may be necessary to remove myself from them for some time (or even permanently) in order to exclusively and uncompromisingly focus on spiritual advancement. This actually wasn't motivated by a desire for personal happiness; it was because I saw that a very large part of the world was asleep - including myself to a large extent - and in order to wake others up, I had to first wake myself up. After some "awakening" experiences, I began gaining a glimpse of how wondrous, exciting, inspiring, colourful and incredibly lovable life really is (a perspective that contrasts many peoples'). I wanted to help everyone experience being awake but knew I couldn't do so whilst remaining more-or-less unconscious myself. So, I became ready and willing to give up friends and family because of deep concern for them; I felt it may be necessary to do so in order to benefit them and others in my extended family (namely all living beings), as well as myself, in the greatest and quickest way possible.

Regarding me considering leaving to live in India, that was basically for the same reason as above. But, also, there is a concept of serving the supreme consciousness as a whole (through personal purification, study, meditation, devotion, and ultimately surrender and total immersion in spiritual reality). By doing so, one simultaneously serves all conscious beings (as they are "fragmental" parts of that supreme consciousness). There is an analogy that describes it: in the same way that watering the root of a tree nourishes the whole tree, approaching the all-pervasive/eternal/complete/spiritual essence of life (akin to the root of a tree) benefits all individual living beings.

However, my understanding of what spiritual life is and how I personally can best approach and advance in it has changed in certain ways over the past 6 or so years; now I think my view might be more similar yours. One thing I have come to accept is that it is indeed possible to "water the root of the tree" or keep spiritual life in the centre of my life while remaining in touch with others, including those who may not even be very serious about spirituality. Also, I think I have gradually developed a more balanced approach to it all; it has dawned on me that spiritual life is a long and rather arduous path and, if I really want to continue along it for the long run, I will probably do well not trying to sprint all the way because, as in the case of many enthusiastic spiritual seekers, after a little while of sprinting I would quite predictably become tired, weak, and inclined to stop running. Yet I also know that, in order to prevent the whole experience from becoming boring and virtually non-progressive, I can't move too slowly either. The art of balance...

I suppose the main point I want to express is that, as my understanding gradually matures, I see more and more value in keeping my spiritual life the central and ultimate purpose of my life but at the same time being balanced and "human" about it and therefore able to remain a part of society, family, friendships, etc., despite my awareness that such things in this world are not the ultimate in life. I totally agree with you about helping others - we only get what we give.

Regarding love between man and woman, in the past I have felt certain that I shouldn't and wouldn't get involved in this way, however, as I seem to continually gain a more realistic perspective of myself and the path that I am to traverse, I now am not against the idea. In theory, I can see that it would be better to remain single and celibate simply because by doing so it would be possible (in theory) to devote all time and energy that otherwise would have been invested in a man/woman relationship into more direct and potentially beneficial spiritual activities like study, meditation and, in turn, helping others (spiritually). However, I think that what is theoretically best may not always realistically be the best for unique individuals, considering all of the psycho-physical variables in their lives. A loving relationship between man and woman might actually be necessary for some (or most) people in order to keep them balanced and emotionally healthy. Besides, male and female natures naturally compliment one another and, if there is genuinely mutual understanding and respect, and as far as possible an absence of selfishness, that kind of relationship could probably be very positive on many levels - especially if both were spiritually focused. Personally, at the moment I am single/celibate - I have been for the past 5 years and intend to remain so for some time longer - but I am not against the idea of a meaningful loving relationship with a woman at some stage. One thing that I have learnt is that relationships is what life is all about ~ material or spiritual :)

Thank you,

All the best!

Last edited:
RainbowWarrior :),

Thank you for writing ~ even as a kid I would question myself to test the degree I felt willing to make personal sacrifice for higher good. For example, I would ask myself whether I would give up my life to save my mother, father, sister, friend, friend of a friend, a complete stranger, etc... I don't know if most people do this, I wouldn't be surprised if many do... at least the thoughtful ones. Anyway, I guess somehow I developed the mentality that I would make any sacrifice necessary for a high enough purpose. It's not that I didn't and don't love my family and friends but rather I felt that it may be necessary to remove myself from them for some time (or even permanently) in order to exclusively and uncompromisingly focus on spiritual advancement. This actually wasn't motivated by a desire for personal happiness; it was because I saw that a very large part of the world was asleep - including myself to a large extent - and in order to wake others up, I had to first wake myself up. After some "awakening" experiences, I began gaining a glimpse of how wondrous, exciting, inspiring, colourful and incredibly lovable life really is (a perspective that contrasts many peoples'). I wanted everyone to experience being awake but knew I couldn't do so whilst remaining more-or-less unconscious myself so I became readily willing to give up friends and family because of deep love for them; I felt it may be necessary to do so in order to benefit them and others in my extended family (namely all living beings), as well as myself, in the greatest and quickest way possible.

Regarding me considering leaving to live in India, that was basically for the same reason as above. But, also, there is a concept of serving the supreme consciousness as a whole (through purification, study, meditation, devotion, and ultimately surrender and total immersion in spiritual reality). By doing so, one simultaneously serves all conscious beings (as they are "fragmental" parts of that supreme consciousness). There is an analogy to describes it: in the same way that watering the root of a tree nourishes the whole tree, approaching the all-pervasive/eternal/complete/spiritual essence of life (akin to the root of a tree) benefits all individual living beings.

However, my understanding of what spiritual life is and how I personally can best approach and advance in it has changed in certain ways over the past 6 or so years; now I think my view might be more similar yours. One thing I have come to accept is that it is actually possible to "water the root of the tree" or keep spiritual life in the centre of my life while remaining in touch with others, including those who may not even be very serious about spirituality. Also, I think I have gradually developed a more balanced approach to it all; it has dawned on me that spiritual life is a long and rather arduous path and, if I really want to continue along it for the long run, I will probably do well not trying to sprint all the way because, as in the case of may spiritual seekers, after a little while of sprinting I would quite predictably become tired, weak, and inclined to stop running. Yet I also know that, in order to prevent the whole experience from becoming boring and virtually non-progressive, I can't move too slowly either. The art of balance...

I suppose the main point I want to express is that, as my understanding gradually matures, I see more and more value in keeping my spiritual life the central and ultimate purpose of my life but at the same time being balanced and "human" about it and therefore able to remain a part of society, family, friendships, etc., despite my awareness that such things in this world are not the ultimate in life. I totally agree with you about helping others - we only get what we give.

Regarding love between man and woman, in the past I have felt certain that I shouldn't and wouldn't get involved in this way, however, as I seem to continually gain a more realistic perspective of myself and the path that I am to traverse, I now am not against the idea. In theory, I can see that it would be better to remain single and celibate simply because by doing so it would be possible (in theory) to devote all time and energy that otherwise would have been invested in a man/woman relationship into more direct and potentially beneficial spiritual activities like study, meditation and, in turn, helping others (spiritually). However, I think that what is theoretically best may not always realistically be the best for unique individuals', considering all of the psycho-physical variables in their lives. A loving relationship between man and woman might actually be necessary for some (or most) people in order to keep them balanced and emotionally healthy. Besides, male and female natures naturally compliment one another and, if there is genuinely mutual understanding and respect, and as far as possible an absence of selfishness, that kind of relationship could probably be very positive on many levels - especially if both were spiritually focused. Personally, at the moment I am single/celibate - I have been for the past 5 years and intend to remain so for some time longer - but I am not against the idea of a meaningful loving relationship with a woman at some stage. One thing that I have learnt is that relationships is what life is all about ~ material or spiritual :)

Thank you,

All the best!

Greetings ..::*::.. :)

Thank you for your reply! to discuss this kind of developements was the reason for me to come to this site... (and to live an example of how to use and not abuse drugs, but this is really tough around here... abusing drugs has its own kind of fascination...but only for the ego of course)

I think i can understand how you feel about first getting out of society to really maintain the awakeness, as i was having troubles the past weeks to stay in this state of mind. Old habits and thought patterns came back reestablishing a part of my ego i was happy to see dying after/during my awaking...

if you are interested, here is the thread where i'm describing the changes i was/am undergoing:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=482876

today i was thinking a lot about all of this again and decided it's really about time for me to stay away from cannabis (and other drugs, but cannabis is the only one i'm doing really regularly) for a while and sharpen my mind/consciousness.

another thing i can't stop thinking about is my habit of eating... i love meat! i really do! but i think i love life even more, and loving life means respecting any individual part of life, so then how can i still eat meat? i was talking about this quite a bit with my gf in the last time, and she thinks that to stop eating meat but continue to eat other animal derived products really is inconsequent... and i think she's right about it, so then i would have to live vegan... but i somehow can't get myself to make this decision, there's something in me telling me that this is not me, that i should eat meat when i feel like it... i'm kind of curious myself how this struggle between ego and revelation will continue, though i already know what's right i can't bring myself to do it (isn't that one of the oldest and most typical parts of the human experience?)

good point you make about the balance, i feel that atm i am going too slow, that i should progress faster spiritually - i will try to keep in mind not to run too fast, if i should decide to enforce revelation caused change and not the ego coming back (i'm really not sure yet, second option seems to be the easier - or better: less crazy - one)

As for the love thing: that's such a complex topic as love means something different for everyone... but for me love is pretty much what you describe as the whole spiritual quest, to give up oneself to reach a higher good (or higher state of existence)... it's the feeling to go through hell oneself only to see her smile for a moment, it really is giving up the ego... the fact that i love my gf really was essential for my understanding of what i experienced under the influence of lsd and it's basically the thing i'm most sure about in this world...

my notions of love didn't really change since my awakening, but what changed a whole lot is my understanding (and even more so my feeling/experiencing) of sexuality... now the thought of giving myself up to a point where i actually become one with her to create something new and wonderful is the most erotic i can think of :)

thanks for coming to bluelight, with your 4 posts you already managed to inspire and touch me :) i would love to stay in contact and hear more about you and your experiences...whenever you decide you want to visit europe let me know ;)

can you tell us a little about your time in india and the everyday life there? also i would be interested in your views about music, do you play an instrument? or artistic expression in general, do you engage in painting or something similar? or do you think these are inferior ways to transport the message and help others with their awakening?

good vibes from another you :)

Hey Rainbow Warrior,
Sorry I haven't replied for so long - I've been v. busy. Hopefully I will get a chance soon.
Peace,

Again, sorry for such a delayed reply. I live at a yoga retreat center where we host a huge range of spiritual groups - they pay to stay at the centre over weekends and/or weekdays and we facilitate their spiritual retreat with meals and so on. The permanent residents here form a spiritual community as well. It is kind of like a self-sufficient way to maintain a spiritual community (i.e. those who permanently live here - like myself at this point) while simultaneously facilitating others in their own spiritual pursuits (i.e. the groups who pay to use the centre and receive our service). Anyway, sometimes (like recently) we have weeks booked at a time so it gets a bit crazy-busy here! Hence, my half decent excuse for not writing sooner ;)

Yeh I can see what you mean about how abusing drugs is kind of fascinating and entertaining, but it is no match for genuine fascination for life itself. It was either Plato or Aristotle who said something that amounts to (this is definitely a paraphrase!): an ignorant person (lets say, in a modern context, a couch potato-type, or a mindless drug abuser) and a philosopher both think that they are happy. However, the philosophers' happiness is superior to the couch potatoes' because, if the couch potato was to taste the happiness experienced by the philosopher, they too would perceive how and agree that the couch potato happiness is inferior. So, his point obviously is that there are different gradations of happiness. Sacrificing the ease of being a couch potato and accepting the difficulties and exertion required to be a philosopher would be tough and probably rather unpleasant, at least at the beginning, but the result would be a higher grade of happiness. Of course, the couch potato might have never experienced anything more fulfilling than being a couch potato so it might be hard to convince them that there is actually something better than what they have already got. I guess that is one good thing about psychedelics - or rather genuine psychedelic experiences, like the ones that we have both been fortunate to have had - they give you a glimpse of what life has to offer. Alan Watts said in relation to the psychedelic experience, "Once you get the message, hang up the phone," and I guess that I somehow, unknowingly, followed this guideline in my own life. I found that glimpse so inspiring that I decided to try to make my life a continuous trip; I knew this wouldn't be possible with chemicals so I accepted the system of yoga. Anyway, I think you have also had a glimpse of how much more there is to life - or in other words, an experience of superior happiness - so now you can see that certain levels of happiness (i.e. drug abuse, pot smoking, meat eating and so on) might not be the best on offer.

Maybe you could experiment and stop smoking (cannabis) for a while and instead try meditating for some time each day (this is what I did). You could do it with your gf. I can totally relate to knowing what is right but still not being able to do it... I think the main thing is to remember what is right and then just keep trying to rise to that standard. With the meat eating thing... do you like to cook? Sometimes the idea of not eating meat is daunting because it is like, "what am I going to eat!?" But there are heaps of easy but nice vegetarian preparations that most people agree taste even better than meat preps. Like here at the retreat center we only serve vegetarian meals. often there are non-vegetarians who come here and it is interesting to see how many of them comment about how much they like the meals here compared to their regular meat-meals. So again maybe you could experiment and cook a few vegetarian meals with your girlfriend each week. Just look up some recipes on the net, or I could even send you some if you like. It is of course nice to not eat any products that have been produced in a way that caused harm, or death, to animals. Milk products, in a 'perfect' world, would be okay to eat - when cows are protected and cared for, and therefore happy, it does not cause them any pain or inconvenience to supply some milk to their caretakers. However, the way milk is 'farmed' nowadays is quite different to that ideal scenario and as a result the cows usually have to endure quite a lot of suffering. But anyway, if you gradually (or rapidly) cut meat out of your diet and replace it with good veg meals, then you could gradually reduce your milk intake afterwards. Things like soy milk, tofu and coconut cream are good replacements. You could start cooking with cheese (like ricotta cheese or 'paneer') and then gradually replace it with tofu. You can even buy all kinds of vegetarian versions of meat like 'tofu pups,' 'smart bacon,' 'soya nuggets,' etc :)

love is what makes the world go round :) you're really lucky you have such a relationship with your gf :)

One day I think I'd like to live in Europe, at least for a while. But I guess that won't be happening for quite a few years...

India was pretty awesome. I probably got quite a sheltered experience of it however. I travelled in a small group of 'Krsna bhaktas' and went with them to many holy villages and nice rural areas. The main places we stayed were Mayapur (a few hours from Calcutta) and Vrindavan (a few hours from Dehli). Vrindavan was my favourite. There is definitely something amazing, mystical and spiritual about it. For one, there are so many 'sadhus' wandering the streets, chanting Krsna's names, visiting the temples, begging alms. There are apparently 5000 temples in that one area. The architecture is amazing and the atmosphere that it creates is even more so. There is also a beautiful holy river flowing through the village (the Yamuna river)... I guess the whole experience is kind of hard to explain but being there definitely does something to your heart... it constantly reminds you that there is a much higher dimension of reality just 'around the corner,' waiting for you. It makes you yearn to experience the spiritual world... and that yearning is what enables you to do so. The whole town and culture is focused on or at least aware of spiritual reality and this helps to make that reality all the more tangible because, instead of being one person seriously seeking spiritual life amongst a million (or more) people who have no such interest, being in a place like Vrindavan means being amongst thousands of seriously spiritually focused people, many or most of whom are far more advanced on the path than I am. That is another point - being in these places you see and meet people who have been practicing spiritual life for longer and/or have progressed far further than oneself; these people are experiencing as reality what for most of us is still theoretical. Of course, not everyone is, and some people may say that they are when they actually aren't (to get some cheap fame or adoration). Externally, Vrindavan might seem a bit unclean but how each person perceives it depends on their individual level of consciousness. It is said that, if one's heart is pure enough, they can directly perceive the spiritual world there. But having said that, it is possible to directly perceive the spiritual world wherever one may be in the universe - it is of course a matter of consciousness, not geography. Although sacred places can certainly facilitate that consciousness. But anyway, India is amazing (at least what I saw of it - I hear that the cities can be quite chaotic and depressing). There is a very rich spiritual culture there - albeit confusing and unclear to many. But still, living in the west has benefits too.

I totally love music, especially songs like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvmm8uRc4r4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMB95_TgPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLXUhNnupB0

but also some baroque songs like Pachelbel's canon in D. I have never really played an instrument but just lose myself in the magic that others create. I don't really draw or paint either - sometimes, but not regularly (or very well ;)) Writing is probably my preferred form of communication, and talking of course but when talking I can usually only 'open up' to a degree that satisfies me with close friends or family. I guess most people are like that, but some people especially. i think any non-violent action or form of expression can be used to benefit others' consciousness - it is just a matter of one's own consciousness whilst doing it. but, forms of expression like music, art, speaking or writing are probably more practical and therefore effective ways.

what do you think about all this? it would be cool to hear more about your journey if you have the time and inclination to share :}

peace ~ ..::*::..

Last edited:
Again, sorry for such a delayed reply. I live at a yoga retreat center where we host a huge range of spiritual groups - they pay to stay at the centre over weekends and/or weekdays and we facilitate their spiritual retreat with meals and so on. The permanent residents here form a spiritual community as well. It is kind of like a self-sufficient way to maintain a spiritual community (i.e. those who permanently live here - like myself at this point) while simultaneously facilitating others in their own spiritual pursuits (i.e. the groups who pay to use the centre and receive our service). Anyway, sometimes (like recently) we have weeks booked at a time so it gets a bit crazy-busy here! Hence, my half decent excuse for not writing sooner ;)

Yeh I can see what you mean about how abusing drugs is kind of fascinating and entertaining, but it is no match for genuine fascination for life itself. It was either Plato or Aristotle who said something that amounts to (this is definitely a paraphrase!): an ignorant person (lets say, in a modern context, a couch potato-type, or a mindless drug abuser) and a philosopher both think that they are happy. However, the philosophers' happiness is superior to the couch potatoes' because, if the couch potato was to taste the happiness experienced by the philosopher, they too would perceive how and agree that the couch potato happiness is inferior. So, his point obviously is that there are different gradations of happiness. Sacrificing the ease of being a couch potato and accepting the difficulties and exertion required to be a philosopher would be tough and probably rather unpleasant, at least at the beginning, but the result would be a higher grade of happiness. Of course, the couch potato might have never experienced anything more fulfilling than being a couch potato so it might be hard to convince them that there is actually something better than what they have already got. I guess that is one good thing about psychedelics - or rather genuine psychedelic experiences, like the ones that we have both been fortunate to have had - they give you a glimpse of what life has to offer. Alan Watts said in relation to the psychedelic experience, "Once you get the message, hang up the phone," and I guess that I somehow, unknowingly, followed this guideline in my own life. I found that glimpse so inspiring that I decided to try to make my life a continuous trip; I knew this wouldn't be possible with chemicals so I accepted the system of yoga. Anyway, I think you have also had a glimpse of how much more there is to life - or in other words, an experience of superior happiness - so now you can see that certain levels of happiness (i.e. drug abuse, pot smoking, meat eating and so on) might not be the best on offer.

Maybe you could experiment and stop smoking (cannabis) for a while and instead try meditating for some time each day (this is what I did). You could do it with your gf. I can totally relate to knowing what is right but still not being able to do it... I think the main thing is to remember what is right and then just keep trying to rise to that standard. With the meat eating thing... do you like to cook? Sometimes the idea of not eating meat is daunting because it is like, "what am I going to eat!?" But there are heaps of easy but nice vegetarian preparations that most people agree taste even better than meat preps. Like here at the retreat center we only serve vegetarian meals. often there are non-vegetarians who come here and it is interesting to see how many of them comment about how much they like the meals here compared to their regular meat-meals. So again maybe you could experiment and cook a few vegetarian meals with your girlfriend each week. Just look up some recipes on the net, or I could even send you some if you like. It is of course nice to not eat any products that have been produced in a way that caused harm, or death, to animals. Milk products, in a 'perfect' world, would be okay to eat - when cows are protected and cared for, and therefore happy, it does not cause them any pain or inconvenience to supply some milk to their caretakers. However, the way milk is 'farmed' nowadays is quite different to that ideal scenario and as a result the cows usually have to endure quite a lot of suffering. But anyway, if you gradually (or rapidly) cut meat out of your diet and replace it with good veg meals, then you could gradually reduce your milk intake afterwards. Things like soy milk, tofu and coconut cream are good replacements. You could start cooking with cheese (like ricotta cheese or 'paneer') and then gradually replace it with tofu. You can even buy all kinds of vegetarian versions of meat like 'tofu pups,' 'smart bacon,' 'soya nuggets,' etc :)

love is what makes the world go round :) you're really lucky you have such a relationship with your gf :)

One day I think I'd like to live in Europe, at least for a while. But I guess that won't be happening for quite a few years...

India was pretty awesome. I probably got quite a sheltered experience of it however. I travelled in a small group of 'Krsna bhaktas' and went with them to many holy villages and nice rural areas. The main places we stayed were Mayapur (a few hours from Calcutta) and Vrindavan (a few hours from Dehli). Vrindavan was my favourite. There is definitely something amazing, mystical and spiritual about it. For one, there are so many 'sadhus' wandering the streets, chanting Krsna's names, visiting the temples, begging alms. There are apparently 5000 temples in that one area. The architecture is amazing and the atmosphere that it creates is even more so. There is also a beautiful holy river flowing through the village (the Yamuna river)... I guess the whole experience is kind of hard to explain but being there definitely does something to your heart... it constantly reminds you that there is a much higher dimension of reality just 'around the corner,' waiting for you. It makes you yearn to experience the spiritual world... and that yearning is what enables you to do so. The whole town and culture is focused on or at least aware of spiritual reality and this helps to make that reality all the more tangible because, instead of being one person seriously seeking spiritual life amongst a million (or more) people who have no such interest, being in a place like Vrindavan means being amongst thousands of seriously spiritually focused people, many or most of whom are far more advanced on the path than I am. That is another point - being in these places you see and meet people who have been practicing spiritual life for longer and/or have progressed far further than oneself; these people are experiencing as reality what for most of us is still theoretical. Of course, not everyone is, and some people may say that they are when they actually aren't (to get some cheap fame or adoration). Externally, Vrindavan might seem a bit unclean but how each person perceives it depends on their individual level of consciousness. It is said that, if one's heart is pure enough, they can directly perceive the spiritual world there. But having said that, it is possible to directly perceive the spiritual world wherever one may be in the universe - it is of course a matter of consciousness, not geography. Although sacred places can certainly facilitate that consciousness. But anyway, India is amazing (at least what I saw of it - I hear that the cities can be quite chaotic and depressing). There is a very rich spiritual culture there - albeit confusing and unclear to many. But still, living in the west has benefits too.

I totally love music, especially songs like these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fvmm8uRc4r4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNMB95_TgPI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLXUhNnupB0

but also some baroque songs like Pachelbel's canon in D. I have never really played an instrument but just lose myself in the magic that others create. I don't really draw or paint either - sometimes, but not regularly (or very well ;)) Writing is probably my preferred form of communication, and talking of course but when talking I can usually only 'open up' to a degree that satisfies me with close friends or family. I guess most people are like that, but some people especially. i think any non-violent action or form of expression can be used to benefit others' consciousness - it is just a matter of one's own consciousness whilst doing it. but, forms of expression like music, art, speaking or writing are probably more practical and therefore effective ways.

what do you think about all this? it would be cool to hear more about your journey if you have the time and inclination to share :}

peace ~ ..::*::..

Hey ..::*::.. :)

Thanks for your nice reply. Your description of Vrindavan makes me want to visit india all the more!

Not too much new from my side, i'm still struggling with my adictions...

I had another lsd trip... went to the mountains with a very close friend, both took two drops, my trip was incredible. I had a very clear, "buddhistic" expirience, i managed to remember/keep all of it without problems, for most parts it wasn't really like a drug induced state, i relate to it as "buddhistic" because the languages i speak don't really have words for these kind of concepts like reincarnation, kharma and nirvana and above all "OM" - strangely enough i found to have a strong connection to the sign of it, like "i have been here before"... i stopped smoking weed early in the trip with the thought to quit it for good...

and made it until the next evening :D started eating milk/sugar etc again after 2-3 days and meat again after about a week, i got really moody already the first day, which peaked within this week until i gave completely in again and ate meat...

that was followed by an almost depressive state in which i started hating myself for not being able to do what's right (did i mention that i'm catholic? :D)... until i got some sense into myself and focused on the small steps and on feeling centered more, what really helped me was a friend who told me "it's more important how you do things than what you do" (more or less, bit difficult to translate, it related to climbing)

so yeah i had the whole view at the mountain through the window, now i have to climb it... that will take time, far more than this lifetime i asume :D but every step in the right direction counts and i'm trying!

btw i experienced a really bizarre scene today in a bar with some friends... everybody was eating fried pig-ears... have monsters the right to be loved? because we humans sure as fuck are monsters....

still i would eat meat in this very moment and that makes the whole thing so sick... or i guess that makes me sick, or human... whatever, i'm alive and enjoying it most of the time!

Interesting music you linked, i'll meditate with it before sleeping tonight! this is some stuff that kept me going in the last time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iURlT4AKbWs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4OvmYpxOHI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCPSk9k2_bA

I'm also into all other types of music out there, Bach is something else i have to mention... also ravi shankar has been very helpful for meditating, carl orff's carmina burana was geniusly hellish, psytrance has some interesting qualities as well... but well music, i love it!

I'm continuing my efforts to draw, i'm still far from skilled but it is a very calming and relaxing occupation, i'm still working a lot on getting my visual perception more intense - not only with meditation but also with drugs... spent a great day in a museum of modern art on 10mg of 2ci with a friend... truely inspiring!

Apart from that i'm trying to spread as much light as possible to my brothers and sisters - some days with more success some days with less, but i can feel i already touched some and was able to help a bit...

good vibes from another fractal of the universal consciousness :)

p.s. sorry if my post is a little incoherent, it's middle of the night, i havent spoken/written english for weeks and i'm quite high :D

I find this story rather freightening to see how very distorted your views on "life" are, ive never tried LSD but i was really looking into it...but this kind of worries me, not at the fact that i think your nuts but just because i wonder if this alternate state of mind a higher beingness exists.

quite interesting.

^^ I get worried about people like this. Their views on life are bordering on insane, and yet they seem to think they have unlocked some great secret or something. I've tried LSD, a few times, but never had thought patterns like this. They get stuck in the ideas that what they perceive to be true (to themselves, subjectively) is reality. I hate this side of psychedelic subculture.

Hey Cherry Poppinz and Bidcore.

I have simply written some events and experiences that I had during my short phase of psychedelic exploration. I agree that some of the things I wrote - such as the lights in the sky/contacting entities thing and the hair episode - are a bit bizarre. I described these experiences mainly because I felt a need to put my recollections into words; after doing so, I thought to post it on the net it in case some people were interested or perhaps even have had similar experiences. My explanations and speculations may seem quite bizarre to some people, yet quite conceivable to others. You can rest assured, Bidcore, that I am not 'stuck' on these ideas at all, they are simply somewhat fitting explanations for the events. People with some background knowledge (and/or realisation) in yoga philosophy, new-age concepts and "psychedelic philosophy" (i.e. Tim Leary, Alan Watts, etc), may be able to follow my reasoning and ideas much better than those who have no such background. Anyway, when speculating about bizarre experiences like the lights, etc, I couldn't really care less if I am way off the mark, or if I am spot on. Such things aren't major formative experiences in my life and really aren't very important.

Nevertheless, having said the above, it is very important to note that a lot of what I and many others have realised while tripping is not simply distorted and subjective perceptions. Indeed, part of the profundity of it all is that such realisations are non-different from those fundamental to many of the world's major religious/spiritual paths (particularly Eastern). So, I am willing to accept that my speculations regarding the bizarre parts of my story may be distorted or whatever (just as I am willing to accept that they may be correct), but regarding the significant philosophical insights that I and many others have had, I am not so willing to accept them as distorted subjective perceptions of reality. My reason for this is basically because major spiritual traditions dating back into ancient times share the same apparent insights into reality; hundreds and thousands of powerful saints, sages, yogis, mystics, Buddhists, philosophers and so on have shared the same insights. So you may disagree with such views, or simply may not properly grasp them, but I personally vote for the generations of sages and volumes of ancient and modern literature that support them.

Bidcore & Cherry Poppinz, can you please clarify what concepts worry you?

I am no psychedelic-experience advocate. Sure, in the case that someone gains some genuine philosophical insights into life, psychedelics may facilitate that persons' progressive understanding of reality (the occurrence of this may be quite rare however). But, even if this did occur, it is really only the very beginning; it can really only serve as an impetus for one to take their spiritual or philosophical search more seriously. A friend's spiritual teacher gave the example: It is like someone has been in a prison cell for so long that they cannot even remember what it looks like outside. The cell has no windows or doors but, one day, the prisoner manages to remove a tiny brick in the wall and thus get a slight glimpse of what the outside world looks like. They are overwhelmed by the beauty of it all, but still they are nowhere near actually being set free from their prison. At this point they may (or may not) become extra-inspired to become liberated from their cell and thus do everything possible in pursuit of that goal.

Most people don't even get this glimpse however, they just get stoned, laugh at their meaningless hallucinations, and then go back to their normal way of life without a second thought about... anything.

Cherry Poppinz, if you're considering taking LSD, I would ask what your motivation is, what you are hoping to achieve? If you want spirituality, save yourself the potential confusion and instead start seriously studying and practicing a spiritual path. There is a lot of wisdom in practically all of the world religions. Sure, in certain religions there is no doubt corruption and/or distorted truth, but you can be like a swan (if you pour milk into creek water, swans have the ability to separate the milk from the water). However, if you just want to get high, you're basically just wasting your time but... whatever.

Last edited: