• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Detox Loperamide, ondansetron and hydroxyzine combination for opiate withdrawal

KS78

Bluelighter
I have read about all these medications being helpful during opiate withdrawal. Loperamide for diarrea, stomac issues and when taken more than advised, it seems to even stop the withdrawal. Ondansetron seems to help with nausea and also I've seen some studies claiming that when it's taken 8 mgs twice a day, it sometimes stops nearly all of withdrawal syptoms by the way of manupulating the seotonin levels. Hydroxyzine seems to help all around (sneezing, muscle cramps, tearing, nausea, sleeping, anxiety) up to some level.

My question is how would you go about combining these 3 medications if you were to stop using about 75 mgs of morphine (I actually use opium but it probably equates to this) a day?

I'm really not sure about the amount of Loperamide because of various issues and warnings but I'm thinking 20 mgs a day and taper down to 0 mg pretty rapidly in order to not have a dependency issue. I think of taking 8 mgs of Zofran (Ondansetron) once I start feeling the nausea creeping in. Hydroxyzine, I'll probably take about 100 mgs every 6 hours. I may also add Requip (Ropinirol) for RLS if these 3 mentioned medications don't help it get better. The main problem with every one of these medications, even seperetely, they may cause serious issues with heart so in combination, they could be even more risky.

Finally, I would really like to get your opinions on this. There is no Methadone treatment here and Suboxone treatment takes weeks to get accepted to.

Thank you very much for your comments.

That's what I'm scared of @kush407smoke. I've never used it for withdrawal so I don't even know if it works for me.

For opiate like effects from imodium i think I read 200+ mg is needed but I'm sure 50mg would help some but you might be constipated for a couple days

If you can get into a maintenance program please try that. I tried the Imodium thing and form me, it was just postponing the inevitable. For me, Imodium is as sustainable as popping the norcos, it's not. I still ended up needing more and more to quell the WD's and when your Lop intake goes up, it has its own problems. Constipation, tummy ache, flushed face, BP goes up, feeling dizzy, dehydration, low potassium which can lead to the cardio vascular system signal system being disrupted to varying degrees..... and more. On top of it all, I go searching form Lop and the shelves are empty. For me, this was just substituting one problem for another, and without healthcare managing my issue it exploded. I went through a CD program and was gonna be "the guy who could do it without suboxone", problem was I was just again, fooling myself and cheating my family and friends out of the real me. Suboxone changed my life and knowing what I know now, for me, it's the only way. Follow the health care providers plan and let them taper you. I'm NOT that tough guy who can grit it out. I'm a hurting human who needs help. Just my experience anyway and we are all different.

I live in Turkey so we don't have methadone here at all. There's Buprenorphine assisted programs but it takes months to get accepted into them.
When I used to live in New York or London, I had all the options which you advise me and I used them. Here, I'm trying to find another way.

First time poster but I've had experience with using generic loperamide. In the US, each pill is about 2mg. I used to get about 48 pills for about 3.78. I'd take about 288mg of loperamide for it to cross the blood brain barrier. All symptoms would stop. If you have access to gabapentin, that would ease the withdrawals by 80%. Gabapentin has many uses. Until you can get accepted in to a buprenorphine program. I'm on Butrans for pain but it doesn't work for that as well as they'd have you believe. However, I don't crave any opioids. Good luck easing the symptoms. I'm a firm believer no one can do it alone. I also don't think anyone should judge others for being on drugs. We each have our own reasons.