• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

looking for updated answer: is codeine still available OTC in Illinois?

SnapzWagner

Greenlighter
ok, at the risk of being told by someone that this topic has been discussed/covered already, i have heard the legends of the obtainable codeine available through the friendly pharmacist at my local drugstore, but i always assumed it was a myth, or the actual legality of it was determined by many variables depending on your geographic location.

But this nebulous "grey area" regarding codeine is driving me nuts. And i'd appreciate any input from anyone residing in the U.S.midwest area. Specifically Illinois since thats where i hope to begin my search. I know codeine is readily available in other countries, depending on where, but in my location i've been making phone calls and have gotten just enough info to peak my interest.

I'm sure naming specific pharmacy locations that will dispense codeine would be frowned upon by the mods, but i'm hoping someone could P.M. me some info, if thats ok. I read alot of back and forth online basically consisting of "actually, cheratussin is available in select states (Illinois being one) without a perscription, but at the discretion of the pharmacist on duty..." followed with alot of "no it isnt, codeine is still a controlled substance and there is no availability in Illinois without a script"

now alot of what i read was pretty outdated, but the more i researched, the more promising it started to look. So i made a few calls to pharmacies near me, just for sh*ts and giggles, the first several pharmacies told me "no, its a controlled substance we cant dispense any without a script. then all of a sudden i talked to someone at a pharmacy chain (a well known one, not a "ma & pa") and in desperation i just blurted out "well, i know cheratussin is available OTC in Illinois, i just wanted to check if your pharmacist could dispense it...." to which they replied "yea, actually it is, and i know some pharmacies will dispense it, but we dont..."

i used a subtle approach in asking, obviously. Because blurting out "i want an opiate for my chest cold!!!" isnt the approach anyone would take. I mentioned ive been trying to kick this bronchitis, and cheratussin has been more effective than nyquil or robitussin in the past at overcoming the symptoms, so "i'm just checking the availability".

Being a heavy smoker, i actually do get bronchitis at least 4 or 5 times a year at least. Usually i just deal with it as best i can unless it graduates to full blown pneumonia, and i honestly will only get a script for cheratussin a couple times a year. But in my experience, both beneficially and recreationally, id much rather have cheratussin than the crap they put in regular OTC "tussin"

after a few more calls, i'd say 4 out of the 10 pharmacies i called DID confirm that codeine can be purchased OTC in Illinois, but they wouldnt do it. A few actually recommended calling CVS, or walgreens, but it was the CVS that recommended walgreens, and Walgreens recommended CVS, so based on that weird paradox, i stopped to try and get as much updated input as i can on this. does anyone have any info on this? just seemed so strange that i had one pharmacy lump cheratussin in with vicodin in her retort, and tell me "its absolutely not available without a perscription..." while another pharmacist bluntly say "oh yeah, codeine is available OTC, just not here..." - thats some pretty polar opposite nomenclature there. I kind of hit a wall with this search, and was hoping the legal status hasnt changed in my state. And again, any specific help via PM would be greatly appreciated