Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Looking for moody / atmospheric / surreal stuff

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is incredibly surreal as well.

Here is the storyline

Based on real dreams through Kurosawa's life, this is essentially eight separate short films, though with some overlaps in terms of characters and thematic material - chiefly that of man's relationship with his environment.

Wow. Got a lot of great stuff to chew through, here. Thanks. psood0nym, that was a particularly epic post, man. :D

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams is incredibly surreal as well.

Here is the storyline

Based on real dreams through Kurosawa's life, this is essentially eight separate short films, though with some overlaps in terms of characters and thematic material - chiefly that of man's relationship with his environment.

OMG, I loved that! Thanks for reminding me to check it out again!

Carnivale? It was an HBO tv show. Very strange, based in the 1930s during the great depression.

Carnivale? It was an HBO tv show. Very strange, based in the 1930s during the great depression.

Oh i loved that show, it was one of the best tv series i had seen.. i was so disappointed they only made two seasons, oh well :)

Has anybody else seen Léolo? That's Tom Waits on the soundtrack.

I saw it on methoxetamine and wasn't sure if was really seeing what I was. But reading reviews today I see all those images really did get burned into celluloid. Wow, what a poetic, intimate, perverse, disturbing, beautiful film. This is not a film for everyone, but moody? oh god yes.

images

Apparently Roger Ebert named it in his Great Movies list and TIME included it in its list of the 100 greatest films of all time. I definitely felt like I was watching a truly visionary piece of cinema, but, yeah, the methoxetamine...

Delicatessen and Taxadermia are fabulous Films...
Cannot think of anything more suitable to recommend than those already posted but maybe these(with trailer in links):

Trouble Every Day

Gummo

Julianne-Donkey Boy

A Short Film About Killing

Antichrist

They are leaning on more moody and atmospheric but not sure they fit what youre looking for...?

Check out some of Peter Greenway's stuff too...
Also David Lynch, Cronnenberg and I. Bergman.

Last edited:
the act of seeing inside with ones own eyes

^i really feel every-one(maybe) should see this in their life-time - its in total-silence, this was necessary for many reasons that are obvious ...

if you hang tight, it does become a beautiful thing -

it has to

I am gunna download and watch this right now. When I looked on IMDB I had the most intense chills go through me just from reading the description. I'm kind of apprensive!

Theres a german doctor (Gunther von Hagens) that has done some kind of documentaries over here where he shows you plasticised bodies, which seems like a similar idea...

^
ooh, hehe i have constant access to the dvd luckily, just not atm or id watch too - stay glued to the silence;-)

puhlease do let me know what you think...

and stuff

EDot:
(Gunther von Hagens) *takes note

It was ermm... different to say the least.

Very surreal to see a person being reduced down to the core parts and (possibly as intended) I wondered alot about what these people did while they were alive and what led to their deaths... Morbidly fascinating

Saw this, liked it. With the exception of a few scenes like the one the picture below comes from, I'd say it fits the OP's "philosophical" criteria better than the "moody." But it's a great, highly unique vampire flick in any case. The concept makes a lot of sense for vampires. I had never even heard of it, either.

addiction-tellme.png

Anything Kenneth Anger has directed. I fear the man won't be alive long enough to make another masterpiece. It just is a feeling I have had in the back of my mind for a few years.

Here is an example of one of his less moody, but certainly very heavily layered films. Lots of symbols, drawn from a plethora of hermetic traditions, as well as some love shown for classics of performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2-KkS5xTsw&feature=related

Also highly recommend Alejandro Jodorowsky's films. Fando Y Lis is the one that comes to mind. It gets the least attention of his 4 big films, but for me, it is the one that most personally effects me. The others carry a lot of powerful Tarotic symbolism, and mystical bru-haha, but Fando Y Lis speaks to me on a personal level. His works were released on DVD with great looking transfers a few years ago, and are no longer difficult to get ahold of. Fantastically assembled trailer for the collection of his work here:
http://www.abkco.com/#/films/the-films-of-alejandro-jodorowsky-box-set