• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Long time crack & IV cocaine user - want to stop and need all the help I can get

Piner5111

Greenlighter
Subject says it all - been an addict in one way or another since my mid teens, I'm now 42. For close to the last 20 years, I spent 11 as an IV heroin addict, then 5 years on methadone, finally 3 years on suboxone - and unfortunately during my time on suboxone I started dabbling with crack. Huge mistake - been hooked for about 3 years, and have over the last few months started shooting coke again (used to in my mid 20's until I had a bad overdose), because the crack just doesn't get me high anymore. Like others have said, the high lasts a very very short time now (never a "bellringer" - even most time when I'm shooting, although I'm careful with the size of my doses) and is quickly followed by all the crappy effects of this insidious drug. I honestly don't even enjoy it anymore, but can't seem to stop. I went to a great rehab a couple months ago (got off the suboxone at least!), but staying off the rock obviously didn't stick. Have a great therapist, go to meetings, etc. but can't get this monkey off my back... and I know the IV use is going to quickly lead to a bad ending.

While detoxing off opiates, there were substances that proved to help with cravings, anxiety, lethargy, etc. For example, to deal w/my lingering joint pains from 20 years on opiates, Gabapentin along w/Calcium & Magnesium supplements have been a Godsend. So I've been doing a little research, and let me preface this by stating these are all non-prescription over the counter supplements, and I am not here seeking professional medical advice.

Which brings me to cocaine - I have found a couple articles on the web of the supposed benefits of certain supplements to ease cocaine abuse/withdrawals/cravings, and was curious if anyone had any insight into the validity of them? The most relevant one for cocaine addiction does include links to sites selling the products so obviously has a secondary motive, but most of the supplements are ones I have already heard good things about in general, particularly in the nootropic scene (Theanine, Alpha-GPC, ALCAR, etc.)... I just want to know if anyone knowledgeable about these supplements can provide their input as to whether these could help cocaine addicts when they finally do decide "today is the day I'm quitting"... I'm not sure about posting external links, the site rules specify no links to other forums so if the links have to go, a simple google search for "9 Nutrients to overcome addiction and withdrawal symptoms":

http://www.optimallivingdynamics.com/blog/9-nutrients-proven-to-help-you-overcome-addiction-and-withdrawal-nutrition-recovery-vitamins-minerals-amino-acid-symptoms-supplements-diet-substance-drug-abuse-syndrome-cravings-opiate-alcoholism-food

His recommended dosages are in the comments at the end of the article but I guess I'll just list the 9 supplements/dosages here being that the article is f'ng long hah:

1. CDP-Choline - 250 mg when I wake up, sometimes another 250 mg later in the day.
  2. Theanine - 200 mg with my morning coffee when I wake up, sometimes another 200 mg later in the day. This is best taken on an empty stomach.
  3. Krill oil - 1 softgel with lunch or dinner, sometimes another one before bed
  4. ALCAR - 500 mg on an empty stomach as needed. It can be taken every day though.
  5. NAC - 1-2 capsules on an empty stomach as needed. It can be taken everyday though.
  6. Vitamin D - 5000IU with lunch everyday.
  7. Magnesium - 200 to 400 mg before bed every day.
  8. Zinc - 50 mg before bed as needed. It can be taken everyday though.
  9. Vitamin C - You can take as much as you want throughout the day, with or without meals. I take just 1 gram before bed. I took more when I was coming off antidepressants.
There are several other similar articles, but this one seemed to have the most info specifically relating to cocaine addiction. Is it all just BS, or will this make quitting easier, like the calcium & gabapentin did for my opiate withdrawals? Thanks for this amazing community

It's probably not all BS, but don't expect these supplements to solve your problems with cocaine cravings. I highly doubt that this stuff would be like gabapentin can be during opioid withdrawal. I doubt it would hurt, I just doubt it would help much either.