• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Long term storage - Oxidation of vacuum packed substances

TheChoicesWeMake

Bluelighter
Here's a funny question for you.

You know how some people vacuum pack meat with marinade, to increase how well the flavour of the marinade go in to the meat?
What if vacuum packing substances has the same effect, with Oxygen? As in, the oxygen left in the vacuum bag (like inbetween pills for example) go into the pills easier and cause oxidation faster.

I doubt this would have any effect on powder in a vacuum bag, because there's pretty much no oxygen left in the bag. But in the case of pills for example, there's still air left in the bag, inbetween the pills.

And I get that even with pills, the vacuum effect probably won't speed up oxidation to a degree where pills will degrade fast. But do you think it will make a noticable difference over for example 15 years?

As far as I understand it: When storing substances long term, what should be avoided is moist, light and oxygen.

I see you thought process on this, but remember a couple of things.

The meat is very porous so the liquid will make home in there once the air has been evacuated. Your comparing the marinade which stays in the bag to the air which is intended on mostly being removed.

The tiny amount of oxygen left will oxidize something the same as if it wasn’t in a vacuum environment.

-GC

I see you thought process on this, but remember a couple of things.

The meat is very porous so the liquid will make home in there once the air has been evacuated. Your comparing the marinade which stays in the bag to the air which is intended on mostly being removed.

The tiny amount of oxygen left will oxidize something the same as if it wasn’t in a vacuum environment.

-GC
Ok, you're probably right.
My thought was that the vacuum pressure in the bag would make the oxygen "penetrate" easier, and speed up oxidation.

So the question I'm left with is, will vacuum packing pills preserve them better than just a sealed bag with no vacuum, over long periods of time? Small adjustments might make a big difference over for example 20-30 years. The point of vacuum packing them is to remove oxygen i guess, but if there's still air left inbetween the pills, question is whether it makes a difference.

It sounds like the same question rephrased, but my first question was only focused on oxidation :)

It's just an interesting thought that pills from the pharmacy don't come vacuum packed, but often in blisters. But that might have to do with it being easier to produce like that. What do you think?