View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Long Term Consequences of Psychedelics on Cognitive Patterns

srs328

Greenlighter
First some background. In highschool I was relatively easygoing and anxiety free. Since coming to college, however, I experience a lot of paranoia about my drug use, specifically its effect on my body. For example, anytime I experience bouts of fatigue or mental fog during the day, I begin to anxiously take stock of how many times I've drank or taken adderall over the past week. Then, my thoughts turn to planning for an early bedtime and consuming healthy foods in an effort to "restore" myself. As another example, I rolled at a show for my second time, and after 10 minutes of euphoria and bliss, my thoughts turned to anxiety over the possible fatigue and depression I would experience the next morning, and the rest of my experience consisted of these thought loops. I imagined myself waking up and being physically incapable of getting up due to my body being "spent."

I think that my concern over my health exceeds normal, healthy amounts because I over-analyze any negative physical or mental sensation I experience throughout the day, trying to find a cause. Lately, I've turned to meta-analysis of the fact that I worry so much about my health. Basically, I'm worrying about my worry, and this led me to recall a bad trip I had over the summer before college.

I smoked a small amount of DMT and inhaled nitrous oxide straight out of a whipped cream can, and suddenly experienced a panic attack. My thoughts began to race about the negative consequences of inhaling the nitrous, and for a few seconds I thought I would die or lose some cognitive functions. Within five minutes, I decided to give myself a Vitamin B12 injection. Luckily, after fumbling with a needle and a bottle of Vitamin B12 solution, I realized it was a bad idea to attempt to inject myself, and I consumed a few B12 tablets instead. Overall, this experience was my worst experience with psychedelics and scared me away from powerful substances like DMT and even LSD ever since (though I still ended up taking LSD after the summer and having unpleasant, but not terrifying experiences). It's been about 10 months since that experience.

I've been thinking, what if my experience with DMT and Nitrous precipitate a change in my cognitive patterns, where I place heightened significance on negative physical and mental sensations which results in a greater amount of anxiety than necessary. The emotions people experience to specific events are a response to emotional events they've experienced throughout their lives. Because psychedelics create strong emotional experiences, I'm thinking that psychedelic experiences can in fact have noticeable effects on one's psychology. Of course I cannot differentiate between correlation and causation between my DMT Nitrous experiences and the annoying symptoms I experience, which is why I've been contemplating a connection between psychedelics and cognition.

My "symptoms" are more of an annoyance than anything. I'm not trying to draw a connection between psychedelics and mental disorders, because what I experience is by no means a mental disorder. I'm just looking for your thoughts on this matter because I think it's an interesting discussion and it may give me closure so I can work towards eliminating the extra significance my mind has been putting on mental and physical sensations lately.

Psychedelic experiences will have some impact on the way you think, but having a traumatizing psychedelic experience shouldn't be too different from having an ordinary traumatizing experience. I'd think taking adderall or alcohol would have more of a negative impact on your thinking than psychedelics, though. One bad trip shouldn't have permanently messed you up in any case. A lifestyle change (college) can also have significant impacts on mental health. The school system is really fucked up right now but there's not much you can do about that. Maybe you should start moderating your consumption of those other drugs to make yourself feel better imo, but that's not saying a bad DMT/N2O trip couldn't have caused you any problems. Most of it is more than likely mental, though. Do your best to get your mind off things somehow.

I feel you OP, I've been there but am starting to come out of it now. I started taking psychedelics at a very crucial age.. Leaving home, starting university etc.. And I put myself into the state you're in for some time. It gets better though, like the above poster said I think it's just part of growing up, and taking psychedelics on top of that amplifies it incredibly, and we were probably prone to this kind of thinking in the first place so it's kind of a cocktail. I don't think MDMA use helps either, or alcohol (in a different way). I reckon amphetamines certainly won't either.

Yeah I think you guys may be right. I'm probably over playing the weight of the experience because in the moment it meant so much. I'm also neglecting the fact that I had a huge change in environment. I still sometimes wonder if really intense psychedelic experiences can have psychological consequences for people.

Psychedelics certainly do possess the power to change people and their perception of the world as they experience it. This I think is due to the fact that they allow us to see things for what they are. Sometimes we are shown truths that are minds are not ready to know and accept. Ego in my experience was my biggest enemy. Psychedelics magnify things, and sometimes it can be personal flaws we may think we have or insecurities. Often times these experiences can be traumatizing, leaving the person in a state of shock. It is important to learn from these experiences. I have grown just as much from my good experiences as I have from my more difficult ones. I would even go as far to say that I was impacted the most looking back on the tough times as opposed to the good.

Don't dwell on it too much OP. Psychedelics will change you. It is up to you to decide whether or not for the better or worse.