• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Likelihood of a seizure coming off 10mg Valium per day & anti-convulsants?

Daddydopedick

Bluelighter
Hello,

I've been on and off with drugs for many years and benzos are one of them. I got clean for two whole years and it was smooth sailing for me but a toxic girl weaved her way into my life and had a negative influence on me, getting me back on drugs. I went through a mini relapse-phase of loads of different drugs I'd been addicted to in the past over a few months and stopped but the benzos I carried on taking due to the anxiety and mental state I was in.

So yeah, I started using Xanax again and was on it daily. To start with I was on a high dose of Xanax but I tapered down and now I'm finally, finally off Xanax fully and on 20mg of Valium per day. The last dose of Xanax I had was probably about 1.5 weeks ago so it's well out my system and I don't want to take it again. I've only recently tapered down to 20mg per day.

So yeah, I plan on tapering down to 15mg per day, then 10mg per day and then stopping...but possibly tapering down to 5mg per day (if I can manage.)

I've come off high doses of Xanax in the past and always had seizures; but that was obviously going to happen due to the high dose. I was inexperienced and stupid back then. Now, I just want to avoid having seizures. I know I'm capable of coming off them as I've done it before cold turkey. I think the lowest dose I had a seizure from was about 3-4mg Xanax every night I went cold on.

If I went cold turkey on 10mg of Valium per day, would that be considered territory for a potential seizure? Should I get that idea out of my head and just do the 5mg per day?

Also, I have Pregabalin at my disposal. Luckily, I've never gotten addicted to it and never plan on it. I've taken it before but it doesn't personally do much for me hence why I've never got addicted. Never taken it for more than 3 days in a row.

After stopping the Valium, I planned on taking 150mg of Pregabalin per day for no longer than a week, probably less...likely around 4-5 days to aid me. The Pregabalin would likely lessen the likelihood of a seizure and my anxiety coming off it. However, are there any other anti-convulsant medications that could help prevent me potentially having one?

I just want to be safe in my endeavour to come off this stuff and I want to avoid a seziure at all costs. I'm taking it pretty slowly with the tapering too.

This post was unnecessarily long but it's my ADHD doing it's work, any help and/or advice surrounding this topic would be appreciated. Thank you👍

Pregabalin is only an add on anti-convulsant (in high doses it is pro-convulsant i believe but don't quote me on that). Valproic acid and Lamotrigine are true anti-epileptic's. No idea if these would help, a slow taper def does.

Just like Clobazam is a add-on. But I can only imagine when done right it would smooth the transition. You are not diagnosed Epileptic right, as I would then would treat this with more concern. Even calling in the help of a doc when necessary.

When I was finishing my taper off Valium (started Valium after having a seizure due to cold turkey off Etizolam), I was told by my doc that Gabapentin was not a very effective anticonvulsant and told me to do Lamotrigine instead.

I assume Pregabalin also lacks sufficient anticonvulsant properties.

Pregabalin is only an add on anti-convulsant (in high doses it is pro-convulsant i believe but don't quote me on that). Valproic acid and Lamotrigine are true anti-epileptic's. No idea if these would help, a slow taper def does.

Just like Clobazam is a add-on. But I can only imagine when done right it would smooth the transition. You are not diagnosed Epileptic right, as I would then would treat this with more concern. Even calling in the help of a doc when necessary.
I believe ur right about pregabalin being a pro-convulsant at higher doses. When I was taking up to 2400mg/day I would take 14mg clonazepam along with it, prob didn't need that much but I enjoyed it tbh

I think this is a repeat thread no? I've used pregabalin on multiple occasions during the end of a benzo taper and had no seizures.

If you use it for a while(pregabaline)to tapper of and quitt benzos in reasonable quantities-there is low possibility of seizure.If you take it months in high doses seizures are very probable.

I'm acctually now in a phase where I stopped Xanax XR version 2mg, with pregabalin and bupe, I also had problems with my family doc giving me pregabs like whenever I asked almost or to be exact every monday or every 2nd depended if I had a box of 300 and 150mg, was 750mg prescribed but was using like 1gr. daily.
Then with my pd who gave me Concerta and now Clonidine now I took 150mg yesterday afternoon, and now and will take 150mg with cofee.
Never had a seizure, and something happened 2 weeks ago like I was never on benzos, and I'm not nihilistic cause of high 2n half years abusing lyrica and xanax, lorazepam, diazepam circleing arround. It's not calm before the storm I'v been through withdrawals It's just i have a theory why but I need to make some tests yet.

So you are on 20mg diazepam or 15 daily, I think I once swallowed like 150mg of Diazepam was hell of a ride and euphoria and went sleep,
I guess I'm wondering how the line is thick but again thin as I was in hell of withdrawals without seizures and abused truck of GHB before I even knew what pregabalin was. betwen us all.
Consult with doc but if you have Pregabs aside take 150mg or 300 in that dose it's anticonvulsant, but If are prone to seizure-epilepsy lamotrigine, carbamazepine are the choices as Depakine, valproic acid, Magnesium,

Never tried GHB.Depakine is bad for me.Toxic to liver too.Magnesium is essential suplement.150mg diaz. Is huge dose.Probably like been drunk heavily.

I think this is a repeat thread no? I've used pregabalin on multiple occasions during the end of a benzo taper and had no seizures.
Maybe because you tapered correct and used the Pregabalin as a pillow to land on after finishing it.

That def seem's the least dangerous method and good advise. A thorough taper on the benzo's. In other word´s slow and steady and then jump off at a low dose and switch to a reasonably low dose of Pregabalin.

I recommend going down to 5 for a few days before jumping off.

I've had seizures multiple times in the past tapering off diazepam.

The seizure's you def wanna avoid whatever they are caused by.

Tapering slowly and jumping off at a low dose is necessary. You could use a Petinoid as pillow to land on so to speak. So the advise of simstim is as good as it gets, you will have to adjust to being sober. But getting a seizure is not heading that direction. It will most probably leed to using again, which you don't want. So taper as slowly as you can.

Seizure's are terible they can leave you wrecked for month's.

No idea what was the reason i got my first about 1 3/4 year's ago. But it involved stress, alcohol abuse and sleep depreviation. Which was aggravated by the alcohol. Which played a part probably and my messing with the GABA-a sytem in general.

So I also took the occasional benzo just to get some sleep, and keep me from drinking. Which works but only mask's the bigger problem. Like a band-aid wont heal but conceal.

So keep that in mind sleep deprivation can lead to a lot of discomfort. Atm I am at a steady decline still, minimal alcohol and benzo's likewise. My aim is to get free what's yours?