• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Lifestyle Hacks

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Share your suggestions and ideas, and any other useful hints and tips you find online.

Here's a tip for doing laundry if you have any skin sensitivities or irritations or just want to avoid exposure to the cocktail of chemicals and fragrances found in almost all products (even those that call themselves 'sensitive').

1) Laundry Soap Without the Crap

Mix:
5% pure soda crystals (sodium carbonate)
5% pure liquid soap (the stuff without any additives, just water or glycerin, not the Dripak stuff with tetrasodium garbage and preservatives)
90% warm water

Shake well for one minute. It should form a fairly thick gel that pours like regular laundry liquid. If it separates over time, you may need to warm it again and shake hard.

As with regular laundry liquid, use a capful (30-60ml, depending on water hardness and dirt levels) for each full load of laundry; less for fewer items etc.

2) Enhanced Laundry Rinsing & Soap Removal

In the fabric conditioner/softener dispenser, don't use those smelly artificially fragranced poisons.

Instead, put in 2-3 heaped teaspoons of pure citric acid powder.

This will ensure that, during the rinse cycles, more of the soap is extracted/neutralized from the fabric fibres. This should reduce skin irritations or allergies caused from the chemical soup of volatile organics and alkaline soap residues in clothes/underwear, also by lowering the pH of the dried fabric closer to the skin's pH of 4-5, which inhibits the bacterial and fungal growth that can worsen body odor and skin fungal infections.

Neutralizing the fabric also has the effect of 'closing down' fabric fibres, so they tend to abrade and pill less in use and feel slightly smoother on the skin. It should also reduce the tendency of polyester/nylon/acrylic fibres to produce electrostatic.

Buy a house and rent it out. The rent goes into escrow that pays the home payments, insurance and any repairs or updates.
Next , go to bank and take out a loan against the property , ( they will typically do 75 % of the estimated home value) use that to aquire another property to rent out. Few years later you own five houses for the price of one. With a little luck and some hard work. You'll be set and be traveling the world.

Invest in a lawyer, a tax professional, and only do business with people you trust with your life.

There's absolutely no reward without risk of some sort. Take your time but also don't underestimate yourself.

Never stop chasing your lover even when you have them. Love is the best drug of all.

Don't worry about what your family or friends think about your life choices. The only person who matters is you. Live a life you are proud of.
The true measure of success isn't a bank account or career. It's happiness, but if you can do both do that.
Don't be afraid to fail. Every single great person from history started out a failure. It's how we learn. It's what drives us to succeed.

Know that everyone can be an inspiration in their own way. Just being yourself there are people who look up to you and you'll never know how much of an impact you are having on them right this moment.

Don't ever fucking give up , you hear me. Fail every day at everything but don't ever stop trying.

- that's all I got for now.

I hardly feel wise enough to be dispensing advice, but here goes:

1. Figure out what matters to you, then pursue that. Don’t stress out about what other people think: “what other people think of me is none of my business.”

2. Eggplants taste better if you pre-treat them with salt. Lay your slices of eggplant on a paper towel. Lightly salt the surfaces, leave for 15 mins, then blot up the moisture with another paper towel. Turn over and do the same to the other side. This will eliminate the bitter taste

3. One of the principles I try to live my life by is “rigorous honesty and radical responsibility.” Rigorous honesty because, when I was trying to get clean, I realized that not only was my lying a major issue leading to relapse, but my ability to lie to myself in my own head. I decided that I had to become ruthlessly truthful if I were going to survive. And, indeed, lying itself is a type of addiction and a very hard habit to get out of once you’re entrenched in it. Radical responsibility is something that I first heard of when I read the book “The Subtle Art of not Giving a Fuck.” Basically, in EVERY situation, you attempt to find your part in it, and you take responsibility for that (and no more than that.) Even in situations where you feel like you’re the victim (like when you get ripped off in a drug deal) you need to acknowledge your own responsibility in the situation (like maybe buying from a sketchy source, or even attempting the drug purchase in the first place.) keep in mind, “responsibility” isn’t the same thing as “blame.” In the example provided, you can acknowledge that you took a risk that ultimately turned out to be a mistake, without the self-recrimination. You wanting the drug is not in itself bad; it was your methods. Learn from this accordingly and do something different next time. Too many people out there walk around feeling victimized, without acknowledging their own roles in the situation or learning from their mistakes. Don’t whine or get down on yourself; get smarter next time.

4. Dealing with other human beings will be the hardest thing you ever have to do in your life. Determine how much interaction you can stand. Determine which individuals are toxic and bringing you down, and go no contact/low contact, for your own peace of mind. “If it costs you your peace of mind, it’s too expensive.”

5. Judging others says more about you than it does about them.

6. The best way to wear cologne/perfume is to spray the air in front of you, then walk into it. You should smell like you have a HINT of fragrance, not like you’ve bathed in it.

6. Be kind. It costs you nothing. There are too many loud mouthed edgelords out there; dare to be different.

7. Your romantic relationship will be the source of most of your joy or pain in your life. Make sure you go into one with your eyes open, and if you find a good one, never let them go.

8. If anyone wants to know my technique for folding a fitted sheet, I can post the video here!

Instead, put in 2-3 heaped teaspoons of pure citric acid powder.

This will ensure that, during the rinse cycles, more of the soap is extracted/neutralized from the fabric fibres...

i use vinegar for this, it's cheap and effective.

vinegar also denatures protein, so adding a spoonful to scrambled eggs makes them come out fluffier.

that said, i wouldn't use it for marinading meats. it works well with eggs because the vinegar evaporates, leaving no hint that vinegar was even used.

vinegar also removes rust and corrosion with a good soaking. and it isn't just iron and steel that this works on. i had a ground strap for my car that was completely crusted in patina (they're a bundle of copper wires) and after a few hours in just plain white vinegar they were shining like new.

that's not even all the things vinegar is good for. bottom line is it's shelf stable, cheap, and useful, so there's no reason not to fill a cabinet with it.

apropos to this - some of the stuff in this thread seems to be more like life advice, which there are other threads for. @CFC, would you mind clarifying your intentions in the first post? the contents make it seem like you're wanting household / home ec type of tricks but the title is more vague about expectations.

Buy a house and rent it out. The rent goes into escrow that pays the home payments, insurance and any repairs or updates.
Next , go to bank and take out a loan against the property , ( they will typically do 75 % of the estimated home value) use that to aquire another property to rent out. Few years later you own five houses for the price of one.
To be entirely honest, I think the absolute last thing this world needs is more landlords who contribute next to nothing

Sit on ya butthole 1m in bed when you wake up.

bc blood goes up to ur skull

Get rich and help your community. We open our home to people we meet online, at work, in the street. Some drift in and out. Many turn the corner and can now provide for themselves. Heck some even pay it forward to others in need.

I might be a glorified landlord in my professional life, but I can enrich the lives of those around me. For that I am thankful. I've always liked helping people, but there's a bigger impact with more income.

I've got no children of my own. This is what I've always wanted to do. If I wanted reimbursement I'd register as a halfway house. If I wanted recognition I'd post on social media. We do these things not for glory but because we are all in this together. I can't feel whole if my community is struggling.

Go find a way to get rich , and give back

By hoarding resources you take away from the community. Do you give back more than you take? I would be surprised

That's why philanthropy is bullshit PR

8. If anyone wants to know my technique for folding a fitted sheet, I can post the video here!

Please do! If you don't mind it, I would be real grateful for any tip regarding chores and cleaning too! (I really love my mom, but she never had the patience to teach us anything like that, so I can sweep beautifully but don't know how should I properly clean the toilet or the oven for example)