Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Lemon balm - First Time - interesting hypnotic

Memantine

Bluelighter
I bought some OTC lemon balm supplements and yesterday I tried it out. I took four times the recomended dose because I didn't feel anything from just one earlier.

I took my usual 50mg hydroxyzine (which only makes me slightly drowsy) but this time I took 4 of the lemon balm pills too. 90 minutes later I got VERY tired and dragged myself to my bed fast. I slept within 5 minutes.

It definitely felt GABAergic but slightly different from alcohol/benzo's/pregabaline. It was more a physical feeling. I guess this is due to non selective GABA-A/B/C receptor activation.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_melissaofficinalis
substancecode_ethnobotanicals
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be that the lemon likely potentiated the medication in some manner rather than having effects of it's own. The only way that a lemon could be 'psychoactive' would be you ate a lemon peel that was infected with ergot (which is very, very rare), and it would make you more sick than anything. The lemon itself is non psychoactive. However, the high acidity of it may increase absorption of other substances (in your case your prescribed medications). This was likely what resulted in your experience, in my opinion. The other possibility is that it was lemon balm combined with something else (e.g. diphenhydramine perhaps). In that case, your experience was most likely caused by the two medications working together and had nothing to do with the actual lemon balm.

Lemon balm has nothing to do with lemons other than the flavor. It's actually a member of the mint family.

It's been used medicinally for calming for who knows how many "ages".

I've used it in herbal teas for years because I like the lemony/minty flavor, but have never noticed any psychoactive qualities.

Limonene in cannabis definitely alters the effect profile of of vaporized/smoked thc. So I can affect the effects of other pharmaceuticals.

OTC supplement's alway's intrigue me. Most seem or are placebo, like most Valerian extracts miss the Valerenic Acid responseable for GABA-a agonism. Just learned that in another thread.

But I myself am experimenting with Lemon Balm although the mayor component seem's Passiflora inmy product. Every tab contains an extract made from 1331 mg Lemon Balm. Though the mayority is Passiflora as they state they use in total 5024 mg herb's extracted, its the first ingredient. They also added 3% Oat and 2.6 mg Hop oil's.

And unexpectacly it seems to work. What dosage of Lemon balm you taking, any idea. My dosage is also 4x the recommeded, so almost 5.5 gram whole herb. And its could be placebo but these three sleeps were very refreshing.
And I am taking less Benzodiazepinen. As I used to wake up on inappropiate times. Last 3 nights the blue pill lay untouched?

Limonene in cannabis definitely alters the effect profile of of vaporized/smoked thc. So I can affect the effects of other pharmaceuticals.
But Lemon balm iworks on GABA-a, Anti-cholinergic and Muscarinic receptors someway or another.

" Certainly recent research in this area points to GABA-ergic modulation by lemon balm—possibly via inhibition of the enzyme GABA transaminase (GABA-T)" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4245564/

Last edited:
Wonder what the 14 gram Passiflora Incarnate adds to the Lemon balm. That's about the ammount they extracted in 4 pills. Must have had an effect had on the whole effect's.
Looking on PUBMED it agonizes the GABA-a receptor via various flavonoid's and is a (mild) reverseable MAO-a inhibitor. Never read a example of it having the same power as Peganum Harmala.

According to the article (link below) its also an anti-Epileptic and prevents post Ictal depresssion. So maybe also pre depression, and for me of interest as i got an pre and post Ictal Psychosis with the insult. Does it effect that also? The plan is to make a tincture or concentrate from Mulungu that I can take immediatly and hopefully prevent it. But as co-medication it sounds good to, the Passiflora + Lemon Balm. So I can stop that Valproic shit drug. And have somesort of safety net.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22107833/

Kinda relevant to me after 5 insults/ seizure's. And all that horrrible Pharmaceutical drug's that I am taking for 3.5 years. That was not even the worst these side effect's. Essentially are those pricks that call themselves nurse, dr or psychiatrist that constantly fuck up. Worse. You know the 3 times rule. If something fucks you 3 times. They will fuck you 4 and so on. Maybe I was to naieve, as it all done by different parts of our medical system. But together they are way past that number. So I am now a very critical to the point of irritating if necessary. Luckely my dr. seems like a cool guy. Not that he will admit a slip up. But when I am on his tail. Within 3 days I had my prescription for dextro-Amphetamine.

He was gonna do that 3 weeks ago. So I called the pharmacy he hadn't done shit. Spoke with him, and thing done. But I did have to kinda pressure him into it. They still have so much to learn, sometimes they are just like little kids..

This was btw on request of an other dr. the DETOX facility a cursus group and my Neurologist. Valproic acid ,LOL, exarbates ADHD. So imagine a unmedicated ADHD-er with exarbated symptom's driving whole groups and proffessional's insane.

Forgot to mention that hopefully it will never happen again. My neurologist from the start said there is a good chance its an incidence.. And stopping/ tapering the medication combined with lifestyle change. There is hope my brothers and sisters.

Last edited:
Tried that with Mycrene, which is in Mango's, but noticed no effects.

Did develope a taste for Mango because of it. Taste and texture, the proces to get it of the pit. Slimey.