lawyer/client confidentiality

For the Dead

Bluelighter
Heres my situation, my public defender was a good friend of my girlfriends dad before he committed suicide. This lawyer knows a lot of his side of the family in New York and other random scum around town. Now my lawyer has been talking to friends of my girlfriends dad about my case which pisses me off to no end. Last night my girlfriend got a call from her grandfather, word spread from my lawyer about my case to people all the way in New York!

This is fucking ridiculous, is there such thing is lawyer/client confidentiality? Is it legal for him to blab to all these people about my case like this?

Yes there is, and technically, NO, that is NOT legal for him to be doing.

Though it depends...
If it is common knowledge that there IS a case - and your charges are in public record - he is not obligated to NOT tell ANYONE that there is a case against you.

He is only obligated to not disclose information that may be detrimental to your defense that you provide to him.

That's your attorney client confidentiality - he cannot disclose an admission of guilt to a 3rd party.
He cannot legally discuss in depth the case against you.
He cannot legally disclose your defense to a 3rd party.

As long as he is sticking to facts in the public record, he can say pretty much whatever he wants.

He cannot express an opinion as to your guilt or innocence...
And he probably SHOULDN'T be telling everyone about your case...
But legally...

It depends on what he's saying.

Attorney-client privilege is more or less absolute and covers all aspects of any communication whatsoever between client and attorney. With very few exceptions, anything that is disclosed to an attorney once the relationship of attorney/client is established may not be disclosed to any third party.

It differs from the notion of "confidentiality" which is broader. Essentially, though, an attorney is obliged to protect any and all information provided to him or her in connection with his or her client's case. The only exceptions (and these vary among jurisdictions, though not much) are when the client confides in the attorney that the client is contemplating harm or fraud to others, or the attorney has a reasonable belief that the client is using the attorney's services to commit or perpetuate fraud.

In my (layperson's) opinion this is not just a potential breach of the attorney-client privilege, it is an offense for which the attorney could potentially be disbarred.

If I were you, I would ask for another attorney. The conduct is clearly inappropriate and additionally, appears to constitute a possible conflict of interest. Links below to Secs. 1.6 and 1.7 of the New York State Code of Professional Responsibility are below. Here is a relevant quote from an ethics opinion:

Rule of Confidentiality In General: NYSBA Comm. on Prof. Ethics, Op. No. 528, 1981 WL 27589 (February 17, 1981): "The basic rule of confidentiality is that the lawyer should keep everything secret that he learns from or about a 'client', except when its disclosure helps his client," citing Geoffrey Hazard, Ethics in the Practice of Law 21 (1978).

Section 1.6

The conflict of interest issue is more nebulous to me. You may find what you need by following the links contained within here (narrative has not been written by the great folks at Cornell who put this together), particularly Sections 1:7:200 and 1:7:500: Section 1.7

At this point, I would advise you to find alternative representation. There are many attorneys in your area who can provide you with an initial consultation free of charge. In the interim, it is important that you document WHO you believe any information was disseminated to, on what date, and the information you believe was disseminated.

Kalash, the public records exception does NOT apply to an attorney who is currently representing a client. The attorney is not permitted to talk about the case to third parties, period, and this does not appear to fall under any sort of exception.

My advice: get a different lawyer and pursue action with the State Bar as you feel necessary. Good luck; an attorney has a sacred duty to protect any and all information about a case. If you have not threatened to commit further criminal acts, your attorney's conduct is probably in violation of Bar rules... and this is egregious enough that there is a possibility that evidence or even the case itself could get tossed out. Do keep us posted. I haven't seen a breach like this in 8 years working for attorneys, though I do not work in criminal law.

mariposa said:
Essentially, though, an attorney is obliged to protect any and all information provided to him or her in connection with his or her client's case
Absolutely. There are limited exceptions to confidentiality, which almost certainly do not apply here. Contact his superiors at the PD's office and complain to the state bar. Breaking confidentiality is a serious breach of ethics.

Banquo said:
Absolutely. There are limited exceptions to confidentiality, which almost certainly do not apply here. Contact his superiors at the PD's office and complain to the state bar. Breaking confidentiality is a serious breach of ethics.

YES, thank you. I hesitated to advise the poster to contact his lawyer's superiors as it is my belief that some attorneys can tend to protect their own whether in private firms or government jobs, but this is a feasible and well thought out course of action.

I will say that if I were the OP, I'd hire my own lawyer and take the state out of it.

You can always contact the bar association. Breaching attorney-client privilege is grounds for disbarment.

It would be helpful to first obtain signed statements from person(s) to whom your attorney has disclosed confidential information, giving specifics about what was said. Or at least to know you would be able to get such statements.

can you get another PD and contact someone about this guys screwed up ways he deals with people?