• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Meth L-DOPA

Yes, as well as increases in serum norepinephrine and eventually, decreases in serotonin levels.

It is also associated with a boatload of side-effects.

Many people seem to share this common and widespread perception that their "dopamine levels are low" or "serotonin levels are low", and that these "low levels" are the cause of their troubles, but this is rarely the case and a major oversimplification.

L-tyrosine --> L-DOPA --> dopamine

It might be worthwhile to take L-tyrosine instead, because if there really is a "dopamine shortage", then the body can selectively put the L-tyrosine to work in a balanced way. The body can take it or leave it when it comes to L-tyrosine. L-DOPA on the other hand is the final step in the pathway to dopamine synthesis. It can only become dopamine. So taking L-DOPA really forces the pathway which IMO is not healthy.

Excess dopamine will displace serotonin from presynaptic vesicles for the same reason. Once you take L-DOPA, the body *must* turn it into dopamine, and that dopamine needs to go into vesicles since it can't be allowed to just float around. So serotonin gets kicked out.

You need to take loads of L-DOPA or together witha peripheral carboxylase inhibitor to get serious effects. Do you speak about L-DOPA in its purity as extracted from mucuna pruriens or from a pharmacy with another active ingredient like carbidopa?

Anybody knows why the Parkinson's folks can take L-DOPA/carbidopa alone with no tyrosine or 5-htp supplement without rushing into problems?
If you want to supplement for serotonin as well then 5-htp is much more effective than l-tyrosine, it circumvents the rate limiting step in biosynthesis.

Thats said, I recently tried 5-htp from mucuna pruriens and ended up downing 10+ capsules of 15% standardized extract without feeling a thing. Maybe it was bad quality but came from a reputable supply. 5-htp causes nausea when overdosed so I didn't go as high with it and while it once helped me to get off antidepressants so did it also have zero effects recently.

You need to take loads of L-DOPA or together witha peripheral carboxylase inhibitor to get serious effects. Do you speak about L-DOPA in its purity as extracted from mucuna pruriens or from a pharmacy with another active ingredient like carbidopa?

Anybody knows why the Parkinson's folks can take L-DOPA/carbidopa alone with no tyrosine or 5-htp supplement without rushing into problems?
If you want to supplement for serotonin as well then 5-htp is much more effective than l-tyrosine, it circumvents the rate limiting step in biosynthesis.

Thats said, I recently tried 5-htp from mucuna pruriens and ended up downing 10+ capsules of 15% standardized extract without feeling a thing. Maybe it was bad quality but came from a reputable supply. 5-htp causes nausea when overdosed so I didn't go as high with it and while it once helped me to get off antidepressants so did it also have zero effects recently.
I recently got a supplement called Dopa Mucuna with 15% l dopa. Would this have 5-htp also do you know? I'm confused now as I thought mucuna pruriens boosted dopamine but I realise now they also make 5-htp out of it which is meant to boost serotonin. But reading this thread it says l dopa can make your serotonin low. I don't get it.

I recently got a supplement called Dopa Mucuna with 15% l dopa. Would this have 5-htp also do you know? I'm confused now as I thought mucuna pruriens boosted dopamine but I realise now they also make 5-htp out of it which is meant to boost serotonin. But reading this thread it says l dopa can make your serotonin low. I don't get it.
Our bodies are far more complex than take X = Y.

It's an extremely complex scale beam.

Taking something to increase dopamine will always lead to downstream effects, decreasing or increasing other neurotransmitters with various side effects.

But as earlier said, raising serotonin or dopamine in a way prople think is possible would result in psychosis or other severe issues. Mood or depression is infinitely more complex than that.

Our bodies are far more complex than take X = Y.

It's an extremely complex scale beam.

Taking something to increase dopamine will always lead to downstream effects, decreasing or increasing other neurotransmitters with various side effects.

But as earlier said, raising serotonin or dopamine in a way prople think is possible would result in psychosis or other severe issues. Mood or depression is infinitely more complex than that.
Thank you for your reply. I understand that everything is a balance and very complicated for the average person to understand. Please excuse my ignorance. I do try to be my own doctor. I also am prescribed sifrol which increased dopamine (D3) for restless legs but I don't take it every night and only when needed and am not taking it while taking the l-dopa at all. I am also taking the l-dopa every second day so I don't overwhelm the receptors.

L-Tyrosine doesn’t help make serotonin, you’re thinking of L-Trytophan, which is turned in to 5-HTP.