• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom dependency + withdrawal

truenamebrand

Bluelighter
Ok, so as I’ve said here plenty of times, I am a daily kratom user, and have been for a while now. I also used to be opioid-dependent in the form of first rx opioids and then heroin.

I’m also trying to explain to my significant other — after a legitimate suicide attempt — that kratom is harmless and did not play a role in my meltdown over the summer. And I truly believe this. Benzos and phenibut are what sent me over the edge.

What I have not made clear to her is that I am full-blown physically dependent on kratom. And this leads me to the point of this post. I am wondering the experience of other current or former kratom users who have ultimately become physically. Dependent. Specifically, I would like to know how long it took you to get to that point, how many times a day you must dose, and the severity and length of withdrawal symptoms.

Personally, it took me well over a year of steady, if not quite daily, use to become physically and mentally dependent. I feel like had I possessed the personal discipline to keep it to even a few times a week, dependency would never have set in. But even after a year of use, I didn’t experience any withdrawal symptoms to speak of. It was only after my two week stay in the hospital and therefore abstinence from kratom, and then going back upon discharge, that I began to experience real withdrawal from kratom.

I have to dose three times a day, with my last dose no earlier than 4 or 5 o’clock, or I suffer terrible cold sweats in my sleep. Cold sweats that are on par with those from powerful opioids/heroin. Entire body and side of the bed soaked. During the day, I will begin to feel the first symptoms of withdrawal after 7-8 hours. I typically will dose every 6 hours or so to avoid even getting to that point. I have about one hour from the time I wake up to dose, or full-blown withdrawal sets in. I wake up at 5:15 and my drive to work is an hour and 15 minutes, and sometimes I will hold off on my dose til I get to work, just because if I tough it out til withdrawal sets in, I get that incredible magic and euphoria from it that I used to get. But most of the time I just can’t stand sitting through that drive with restlessness, anxiety and feeling like I’m gonna jump out of my own skin.

I fought through the withdrawal once, and the worst of it was over after two days. By the third day I felt much better. I feel like this is a major positive for kratom, as if I ever have to fight through it again, I know it’ll be short-lived. Whereas withdrawals from other opioids came with sickness that lasted much longer, and it took months to feel “right” again.

At any rate, for those of you who are or have been dependent on kratom, how similar or different has your experience been? How long did it take you to become dependent? And do you find the withdrawal to last longer than 2-3 days?

I feel like this could be pretty educational for people who have sought out kratom to stay away from other substances. Understanding that nothing comes without a price, but kratom likely offers a much better alternative, even if you must eventually discontinue use.

I switched from another opioid directly to kratom, so for me I was already dependant the moment I started on the Kratom.

I found I needed to dose every 3-4 hours including in the middle of the night (with doses of around 3g). I could stretch it out to once every 5-6 hours but I'd experience the start of withdrawals at around 3.5 hours. Around hour 5-6 is when they would start to get too uncomfortable.

The withdrawals that I felt whenever I tried to stop felt pretty much the same as what I would have felt had I tried to stop taking the other opioid I was previously dependent on.

I never was successful quitting but I suspect the majority of withdrawals would have been over with in 3-4 days with some lingering PAWS for who knows how long.

I have some posts on this. They're verbose, as that is my nature. But covers everything you've mentioned here... http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...e-kratom-addiction-(8ish-years-use-4-5-daily)

I have a handful of responses to other posts that may be applicable, but I think almost all is covered in the linked post. If you wish to search out my other posts then the significant ones were all posted very recently. I may have a couple on drugs forum as well. Best of luck!