• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kava Kava is like crack!

axe battler

Moderator: SLR, EADD
Staff member
I recently received some Kava root powder from an online vendor. This is the first time I've sampled this substance.

From what I've heard, the high is supposed to be subtle and conductive for anxiety issues.

To prepare I simply pour 4-5 heaped teaspoons into a glass of water, stir and drink. This is by far the worst tasting thing I have ever had the displeasure of trying; like Earthworms, black pepper, star anise and dog shit.

10 minutes later and I actually get a really rather intense euphoria, like cocaine/booze a little.

45 minutes after ingestion though, this gives way to nausea, sickness (like actual puking), lethargy, and dysphoria.

How can I make the most of this allegedly underrated substance? Sipping slowly over a few hours maybe? The taste is so bad I don't think I possibly could.

I am in mild opiate withdrawal though, so that could be exasperating the nausea.

Well, it's not really: I was simply exaggerating to illustrate how short and intense the high is, and how bad the 'crash' is.

I have tried kava kava several different ways many times never did anything for me.

Well, when I did kava Kava I had root powder and you put that in like a cheesecloth or something similar and let it steep in cool water
after it has steeped and moved around a little you pull the powder out and drink the water

it could be the powder that's doing this, unless its powder from inside of pills than im confused

i think comparing kava to crack is a little overkill...

i'd compare it more to valerian or skullcap.

No, sincerely!

I really do get a nice high off it; and trust me I've been high before.
I'm using about half an ounce or more of the dried root per serving.

It's just incredibly short lived and nauseating though. Maybe that's why its got such a shitty reputation :\

I for one can get properly inebriated off Kava-Kava if done right. Yes, Kava is meant to be sipped very slowly over a long period of time numbing out your mouth whilst stimulating and relaxing you at the same time.
Just mixing it in water tastes pretty poor, and has pretty weak effects, so if i were you i'd use like 6-7 heaped tablespoons (for one person), 1 cup milk, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon veg oil(emulsifier), and a dash of cinnamon. Then, blend all of this in a blender for a good 5 minutes which also helps release kavalactones. important: let sit for 3o min or more and then drink.

IMO way more powerful than valerian root, skullcap, passionflower, etc.

I for one can get properly inebriated off Kava-Kava if done right. Yes, Kava is meant to be sipped very slowly over a long period of time numbing out your mouth whilst stimulating and relaxing you at the same time.
Just mixing it in water tastes pretty poor, and has pretty weak effects, so if i were you i'd use like 6-7 heaped tablespoons (for one person), 1 cup milk, 2 cups water, 1 teaspoon veg oil(emulsifier), and a dash of cinnamon. Then, blend all of this in a blender for a good 5 minutes which also helps release kavalactones. important: let sit for 3o min or more and then drink.

IMO way more powerful than valerian root, skullcap, passionflower, etc.

i think kava kava is given a bad rep just because people use it wrong. i tried chugging down a powder mix, with almost no results. i went through about 2 ounces of plain root before i got any good effects off of it. i find that taking a big plug and chewing on it for awhile really does the trick. i know a lot of people think it tastes bad but it has kind of grown on me. i like that hint of iron and it begins to taste very sweet once your taste buds wake up to it.
i prefer to use a mortar and pestle to grind it up, but whatever works :)

I take kava in pill form to sleep, and they're the best thing I've tried. Often worry about liver damage though :\

The first time I was NOT expecting to feel so fucked off one pill. Best way to describe it is a combo of nitrous oxide and Everclear. Just completely drunk, but with a light/floaty feeling.

To help with sickness, I'd adjust the dose, sip much more slowly and try something like ginger beforehand to help with nausea. The pills I take give me stomach aches and gas, but never nausea.

^Liver damage is only from the other parts of the plant(leaves and stems which are usually in the pills) .
The root has been proven safe for hundreds of years by Fijians (among others) and there are no cases of liver damage from making water brews out of it.

The root is the way too go! It might even be a better sleep alternative to use the fresh grinded root rather than kava capsules. Give it a go Lady Codone

Best way to describe it is a combo of nitrous oxide and Everclear. Just completely drunk, but with a light/floaty feeling.

I think that is an excellent description, except I don't feel quite so drunk, maybe nitrous and vodka %).

And if you think kava is crap, you haven't ingested it correctly, or maybe you got some crap product (happened to me first time I bought it). I've tried it in all sorts of conditions to find the one that works best for me (milk and lecithin added for the emulsification, and on an EMPTY stomach).

I recently received some Kava root powder from an online vendor. This is the first time I've sampled this substance.

From what I've heard, the high is supposed to be subtle and conductive for anxiety issues.

To prepare I simply pour 4-5 heaped teaspoons into a glass of water, stir and drink. This is by far the worst tasting thing I have ever had the displeasure of trying; like Earthworms, black pepper, star anise and dog shit.

10 minutes later and I actually get a really rather intense euphoria, like cocaine/booze a little.

45 minutes after ingestion though, this gives way to nausea, sickness (like actual puking), lethargy, and dysphoria.

How can I make the most of this allegedly underrated substance? Sipping slowly over a few hours maybe? The taste is so bad I don't think I possibly could.

I am in mild opiate withdrawal though, so that could be exasperating the nausea.

yeah, redbull is also like crack and coca cola like crystal meth
pfffffffff stupid...

if you think that tastes nasty, i think in fiji the the king or tribal leader would get chicks to chew the root, salivate and spit in a cup for them,

i think thats the proper way they say to drink kava

I think it is a must to have a strainer otherwise you will be feeling sick. As far as how fucked up you get, you will have to stop because you can't take anymore. Kava drunk feels crazy. Do the blender technique for like five minutes and strain. Chug! Try not to trip on yourself

I think it is a must to have a strainer otherwise you will be feeling sick. As far as how fucked up you get, you will have to stop because you can't take anymore. Kava drunk feels crazy. Do the blender technique for like five minutes and strain. Chug! Try not to trip on yourself

please try not to necro ancient, dead threads like this one mate. but, eh, welcome to BL! ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

lol have u ever tried crack? I take kava kava to help me sleep sometimes lol I wouldn't even compare the two :D