• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Just got off heroin and onto sub, how to taper off completely?

Psychohacktive

Greenlighter
Hey guys,

So I just got off heroin last Friday, I first induced precipitated withdrawal and then stabilized on ~6mg of sub 48hrs later I tapered down to 1mg a day + ~2-4mg of Xanax. I just ran out of Xanax but I’m fine with just the sub - I have no idea how to taper properly I’ve just been winging it so far does anyone have any advice on how I can taper from 1mg to getting completely clean?

Thanks

Hello. First, congratulations on making it this far. Especially if you went into precip withdrawals, from what I hear that's hell.
It would be a little easier to give you suggestions on your situation if I knew what your daily dose of sub was over the last six days, and how many days you've been on just one MG, but the simple fact that you are only on one MG and you're 'fine with just the sub' leads me to suggest something nonetheless.
I personally try not to take sub for more than a week, but you started at a higher dose than I have, so I would suggest to take a half MG today, and then if you need it, another half in the evening. If you don't need that second half, I would take just a half MG tomorrow, and try to take it later in the day if you can. Then cut that dose in half again the next day if you can, and try to jump off on that quarter mg within the next week.
Personally, I never take more than four mg on the first day, and I usually end up tapering to one mg around day four, but the fact that you 'stabilized' at 6mg, and for how many days, I don't know, makes me suggest this slower taper. Just expect to feel some discomfort and unpleasantness in the days after you jump off, but it will be nothing like what you've already been through.
So, there may still be some bumps in the road to recovery, but you definitely made it through the worst of it, and you are heading in the right direction, and I hope you don't forget that and stay strong. I hope this helps you.

Got it, thanks for the suggestion I had planned to do just that but I read somewhere else on the form someone said its not a good idea to jump off at .25mg even which got me scared.

I’ve been on since last Tuesday so a week and cut dosenin half to 3 for two days and now 1 for 3days. Passing out now will try .5mg tomorrow my only worry is I absolutely have to stay functional for work

I don’t feel good on 1mg I feel like shit but I’m functional and that’s my only concern I won’t to kick everything and get fully clean as quick as possible I can deal with feeling shitty from lower doses but I just gotta stay functional till the end of next week

I hope you were able to taper off successfully by now (sorry, I haven't been online). Anytime I did a short term sub taper, I jumped off at either a half or a quarter mg. I too didn't feel good on the lowest doses, but like you, I was functional. I would then feel very lethargic and unmotivated for days after jumping off, often times worse than I did while on the low doses of sub, but the way I look at it, we have to go through some level of feeling lousy before we start to feel better. Got to pay the piper at some point, unfortunately.

I really hope you are still on the right track, and are starting to feel better. Hang in there.