• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

John Saffron vs. Louis Theroux vs. other Gonzos

TheDeceased

Ex-Bluelighter
I don't know if anyone in the states gets John Safran shows, but he's the only Australian TV personality I can stand. I'm not much of a patriot for the Australian film/ TV industry which is kind of weird because I'm involved with it to some extent.

Safran is an oddball Australian/Jewish documentary film-maker with an obsession for religion/ the occult. He does totally fucked up things, kind of Jack Ass style. I don't want to give away too many of them, but in an episode I caught today he crucified himself. He literally had a group of people, crazy Christian fundamentalists, flog him with leather straps and nail him to a cross.

(He has done much worse.)

Check out Safran's "Race Relations", available via torrents.

Louis Theroux is like the British version of Safran, or Safron is the Australian version of Theroux. Either way, Theroux is another Gonzo nutbag. Not quite as crazy as Safran, but still very entertaining. Theroux has a much wider range of subject matter, but deals with it in a far more respectful and possibly effective manner. Theroux gets very close to his subjects. He lives with them, falls in love with them, is attacked by them, etc. Apparently he started out working for Michael Moore and then branched out on his own.

I hate Michael Moore, but I love Louis Theroux.

Any other weird gonzoish journalists people could recommend?

I don't know if anyone in the states gets John Safran shows, but he's the only Australian TV personality I can stand. I'm not much of a patriot for the Australian film/ TV industry which is kind of weird because I'm involved with it to some extent.

Safran is an oddball Australian/Jewish documentary film-maker with an obsession for religion/ the occult. He does totally fucked up things, kind of Jack Ass style. I don't want to give away too many of them, but in an episode I caught today he crucified himself. He literally had a group of people, crazy Christian fundamentalists, flog him with leather straps and nail him to a cross.

(He has done much worse.)

Check out Safran's "Race Relations", available via torrents.

Louis Theroux is like the British version of Safran, or Safron is the Australian version of Theroux. Either way, Theroux is another Gonzo nutbag. Not quite as crazy as Safran, but still very entertaining. Theroux has a much wider range of subject matter, but deals with it in a far more respectful and possibly effective manner. Theroux gets very close to his subjects. He lives with them, falls in love with them, is attacked by them, etc. Apparently he started out working for Michael Moore and then branched out on his own.

I hate Michael Moore, but I love Louis Theroux.

Any other weird gonzoish journalists people could recommend?

yeah man, theres some amazingly hot girls in john safrans shows, race relations is like nothing but meeting diffrent ethic hot chicks.
John Safran's - Race Relations.

It's like the Tom Green show (for us americans lol).

Yeh check out the Tom Green Show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjin3BPjwA
that shit is funny as fuck, u gotta check it out. :)

I've got to say, although I love Tom Green, Green is kind of retarded whereas every Safran episode has a legitimate point to make. It's not just about fucking hot ethnic chicks. And I'm not sure if Tom Green would qualify as a gonzo journalist... :)

Safran is great.

But I thought you had previously indicated that you weren't Australian.

I'm moving to the US in a couple of years, and I have lived in a couple of different countries including Canada, but I am Australian. I don't remember ever indicating otherwise.

I don't know Safron. But I used to watch Theroux's Weird Weekends and enjoyed them a lot.

I'm moving to the US in a couple of years, and I have lived in a couple of different countries including Canada, but I am Australian. I don't remember ever indicating otherwise.
Fair enough. I may have drawn that conclusion based on a post of yours talking about your country hopping.